Allen Robinson gets Franchise Tag (updated pg 8)

WindyCity

16 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

he's better than amari cooper, and that's the contract he got. It doesn't matter if he's "worth" it, the market has been set

Good point about the market...I normally wouldn't disagree on that. However they are two different players and Cooper was given that deal when things were in a better place financially with the league cap

This is a different year and I still believe teams will be reluctant to dish out huge long term deals like that with the cap being lower and not many teams competing for the same free agents

In a normal year Robinson would probably fetch that among multiple bidders...I just don't know if this is the best year for him to be testing those numbers

We'll see but I don't think Bears are being stupid with they way they've handled this if it's true that Robinson's demands have been astronomical

On 2/25/2021 at 3:19 PM, abstract_thought said:

Someone remind me why the Bears made Tarik Cohen more of a priority than Allen Robinson?

if your only evidence of making it a priority is a deal got done with cohen, thats just bad. maybe the approached him after arob, and because he is a rb/slot guy he was far more amenable to agreeing to a contract than someone who things that 18/year is not enough. easier to do business with does not equate to priority

On 2/26/2021 at 5:02 AM, topwop1 said:

Good point about the market...I normally wouldn't disagree on that. However they are two different players and Cooper was given that deal when things were in a better place financially with the league cap

This is a different year and I still believe teams will be reluctant to dish out huge long term deals like that with the cap being lower and not many teams competing for the same free agents

In a normal year Robinson would probably fetch that among multiple bidders...I just don't know if this is the best year for him to be testing those numbers

We'll see but I don't think Bears are being stupid with they way they've handled this if it's true that Robinson's demands have been astronomical

i doubt robinson is looking at this like "oh man, the cap is lower this year, i should accept less money." i think he's looking at comparable deals, setting his market, and will go to a team that will best reach what he is after (if he's not tagged)

2 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

i doubt robinson is looking at this like "oh man, the cap is lower this year, i should accept less money." i think he's looking at comparable deals, setting his market, and will go to a team that will best reach what he is after (if he's not tagged)

I never said he was thinking like that. He has every right to try and get as much money as he possibly can. Personal opinion I just don't think he will get $100M in this year's FA period especially if and when Bears tag him.

20 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

if your only evidence of making it a priority is a deal got done with cohen, thats just bad. maybe the approached him after arob, and because he is a rb/slot guy he was far more amenable to agreeing to a contract than someone who things that 18/year is not enough. easier to do business with does not equate to priority

It's more that Tarik Cohen has a top 15 contract among RBs while the Bears seem hesitant to give Robinson the top 10 WR contract he's asking for.

6 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

It's more that Tarik Cohen has a top 15 contract among RBs while the Bears seem hesitant to give Robinson the top 10 WR contract he's asking for.

and the AAV difference in cohen's contract and what robinson will likely get is ~$13-15 million per year

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Robinson sure is putting the full court press in the media on wanting out and not to be tagged. He was on with Collinsworth talking about how much he loved NY and trains there in the offseason.

He would do well with the Jets and get everything he wants. 

9 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

He would do well with the Jets and get everything he wants. 

He would do well and get paid...just not sure he'd meet his other goals of winning a SB and reaching the HOF...Jets aren't exactly known for being a great franchise..even tho I would agree they have alot to look forward to with high/multiple draft picks and a new coaching staff

24 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Robinson sure is putting the full court press in the media on wanting out and not to be tagged. He was on with Collinsworth talking about how much he loved NY and trains there in the offseason.

I'm convinced he is done with Chicago and wants to move on. Im thinking that if he really wanted to be here I'm sure we'd hear more talk between the two sides by now. Seems like Pace & Nagy want him to be here. Not sure the feeling is mutual