Allen Robinson gets Franchise Tag (updated pg 8)

WindyCity

6 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

So Ryan Pace came out and said they ignored Robinson and his agent's attempts to get a long term deal done ? Where can I see this source of yours? That's not facts bro

Dude. Did you miss the entire post season interview where both Pace and Nagy neglected to even address the Robinson contract situation when they were asked about it?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Dude. Did you miss the entire post season interview where both Pace and Nagy neglected to even address the Robinson contract situation when they were asked about it?

No I didn't. Since when has Pace been so forthcoming about what goes on in negotiations or discussions about player contracts?

They said they wanted him here and that he's an important part of their team. Again just because they haven't signed him to a long term deal doesn't make that statement untrue

We've all heard Pace say less glowing things about players in the past

Who knows ..maybe they do try to trade him but for now I think they just wanted to buy some more time to figure out their cap situation and see what the market has to say for #1 WRs aka the Golladays of the world... because that will surely help as a new starting point in any negotiations

Again without knowing all the facts of what Robinson's camp is demanding and what Bears are willing to pay we are all just assuming things one way or the other 

7 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

The FO should've paid Robinson BEFORE he was able to ball out again this year they would've saved alot of money.  In fact, they would be looking at 18M a year. Which is coincidentally the same amount as the tag is this year.

How do we know they (Bears) didn't try to sign him to something along those lines back in September last year when the Hopkins deal had just got announced? Maybe they did but Robinson's camp wanted more because he saw all that money Hopkins got and thought he was worth about the same?  I mean would you pay Robinson at an average of $25 mil per year?

• Like 1

The Bears lost all leverage the minute the season ended. 

Robinson likely asked for more the minute there was no longer a risk of injury for him.

This will likely get ugly as there does not seem to be any common ground or  momentum for a deal. He knows his 18 million cap hit screws the Bears more in free agency, why budge?

15 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Robinson likely asked for more the minute there was no longer a risk of injury for him.

This will likely get ugly as there does not seem to be any common ground or  momentum for a deal. He knows his 18 million cap hit screws the Bears more in free agency, why budge?

Bears have exactly a week to get under the cap before FA starts so we should expect some moves/re-structures in the next few days 

We'll definitely have a clearer picture of the entire situation by this time next week 

I think if the team was concerned about not being able to get under they wouldn't have tagged him to begin with

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 1

I dont get why everyone is saying "disgruntled" .....I feel like we are just going off of some other franchise tag situations.

Nothing about Robinson says disgruntled and unmotivated....sure he wants a deal but who doesnt? He isnt pulling a Terrell Owens or anything though.

Honestly, its a good deal for both, just not long term

15 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

So getting Robinson now BEFORE Golladay can set the market is a good strategy. 

I guess that depends on what ARob’s expectations are right now. If I had to guess Golladay gets 5/100 or something very close to that. If ARob is looking to exceed Julio’s $22M AAV then we may need Golladay to come in below that to adjust his expectations somewhat. If Golladay comes in above that then that was always gonna be the price for a Robinson deal anyway. But, if ARob would take $20M AAV right now then yes it would make a ton of sense to do that now before Golladay potentially exceeds that next week.

I don’t think the cap drop impacts this situation because the top guys are still getting top guy money - it’s that next tier of guys whose expectations are likely to go unmet. Plus, several teams with big WR needs (MIA, JAX, NE, NYJ) are all flush with cap space anyway. 

7 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I don’t think he wants to screw over the Bears FA. He knows he’s going to be a Bear in 2021 one way or the other and he’s open about his deep desire to get a ring. Screwing the team over financially works directly against that. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2021 at 3:53 PM, topwop1 said:

I doubt it.  Only way either of those two are gone is if they are going somewhere in a trade back for a QB, otherwise it wouldn't make any sense.  

Pace will be able to create more cap space without letting those guys go, if needed be.  Plus you don;t let you number 1 corner go so easily like that.

Also, there is a lot of chatter that the cap floor is going to be higher than expected due to the apparent lucrative new TV deals that are about to be announced.  A lot of people are speculating this based on Cowboys owner Jerry Jones' willingness to give Dak all that big money in his new contract.

Yikes.  Only ten days ago...

3 hours ago, British said:

Yikes.  Only ten days ago...

LOL thanks for calling me out bud.  No problem though...I'll own it!

Like I said I didn't expect a player of Fuller's caliber to get released outright.  I'll be honest...it's hard for me to accept it.

Seems like Bears are going through a soft rebuild.  I mean why would Pace/Nagy be ok with making these moves if they didn't feel a sense of job security...more than what we have been led to believe?

On 3/19/2021 at 10:02 AM, topwop1 said:

LOL thanks for calling me out bud.  No problem though...I'll own it!

Like I said I didn't expect a player of Fuller's caliber to get released outright.  I'll be honest...it's hard for me to accept it.

Seems like Bears are going through a soft rebuild.  I mean why would Pace/Nagy be ok with making these moves if they didn't feel a sense of job security...more than what we have been led to believe?

"Hey Virgina, we talked to the Rooney's and Maras again... They say we should give em 3 firsts for Danny Dimes. Can we do it or what?"