Allen Robinson gets Franchise Tag (updated pg 8)

WindyCity

3 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Idk if he is top 5 but I'd have no issues putting him top 10. But I think I'm at the point of just hoping he has success. I'm fine with him aborting this sinking ship and not wasting his career here. 

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

I love Robinson but let's be real now he's not a top-5 NFL WR. Top-10 sure but off the top of my head he's not better than guys like Hopkins, Julio, Adams, Thomas & Evans

It's become so hard to judge WRs.  After the consensus top-5, the waters start to get real muddy and players become easily interchangeable. 

2 hours ago, topwop1 said:

I love Robinson but let's be real now he's not a top-5 NFL WR. Top-10 sure but off the top of my head he's not better than guys like Hopkins, Julio, Adams, Thomas & Evans

Julios own teammate is better than him at this point, and Thomas has been a bit of a diva and injured. Evans is probably his equal talent wise, but Robinson has better numbers. Thats kind of my point, not sure why we are going with name recognition so much. You didnt even mention Stefon Diggs. Also when have the Bears ever been able to claim a top 10 WR??

Im rooting for him too and 8-8 is not exactly football hell. Like who are we trading him too? He would be great in Baltimore but what contender would give us alot for a #1 WR? Any other team would just be a lateral move.

1 hour ago, MonserinNC said:

Julios own teammate is better than him at this point, and Thomas has been a bit of a diva and injured. Evans is probably his equal talent wise, but Robinson has better numbers. Thats kind of my point, not sure why we are going with name recognition so much. You didnt even mention Stefon Diggs. Also when have the Bears ever been able to claim a top 10 WR??

Im rooting for him too and 8-8 is not exactly football hell. Like who are we trading him too? He would be great in Baltimore but what contender would give us alot for a #1 WR? Any other team would just be a lateral move.

We've had a few but they were either head cases (Moose and Marshall) or wanted out of Chicago altogether (Jeffery at one point was borderline top-10). 

But I get your point. I wanna keep Robinson in Chi but I'm not sure he want to be here anymore so why not try to get what we can for him (if that's the case anyhow).

• Like 1

Listen to the 2-minute audio. This was last week. Robinson talks about not being frustrated, about that his position has always been that he wants to be here “if they’ll have me” and about how the contract not getting done is something he understands with it being a business. Nothing in there suggests he’s a guy looking to force his way out of town IMO.

I see a lot of Matt Forte parallels in how this has played out and how Robinson is handling this, which makes sense since both are consummate pros. Both should have gotten paid before their deals expired but weren’t for reasons unknown, and had arguably their best year heading into FA. Forte got tagged despite not wanting it but kept to the high road with his comments and held out in the offseason before eventually getting the appropriate market level deal he deserved. I think that happens for Robinson too (hopefully before a holdout becomes necessary), both because it should happen and because if we acquire Wentz we might need to do so to reduce his 2021 cap charge get cap compliant. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

We've had a few but they were either head cases (Moose and Marshall) or wanted out of Chicago altogether (Jeffery at one point was borderline top-10). 

But I get your point. I wanna keep Robinson in Chi but I'm not sure he want to be here anymore so why not try to get what we can for him (if that's the case anyhow).

I don't think he wants out.  He wants to be paid that's all and probably doesn't want to be franchised.

Almost everyone in same situation feels same way.

Being very mature.  They will do what's best for them and me for me.

I don't agree with guys taking one for team or giving home town discount or whatever.  They will cut your butt in a NY minute if shoe is on other foot.  Though I think Long did extra years because they liked him.   Though he doesn't see it that way now and is a little bitter.  

I do agree with giving a discount strategically, like Brady does.   It shouldn't have to be that way, but with a hard cap it is.   Point is you can make more in long run as a QB or a popular player by being seen as a winner or a popular guy, especially in a major market.    Prescott could have learned from that. 

Doesn't usually make sense for a WR to do it though.   But even they can leverage it if they become popular.   Look at Tom Waddle, still gets to do radio in a major market and he was just a Rudy, a pro level Rudy, but still a Rudy.  Its a lifetime income rather than just a pro career income if you leverage it in media or a business that deals with public.   

Romo and Aikman get their gigs largely because they were popular Cowboy QBs.   

Dak should have taken the 35 mil year deal IMO rather than holding out over a couple mil per year or the one less year.     He would have made it up long term and then some by being popular and loved, but now he has the public fights and may leave town to be forgotten or be disliked for killing cap if he forces a giant contract and they don't win games.

• Like 2

Can’t stand the fb bears news posts that are all clickbait. “Sounds like Allen Robinson is getting tagged and traded” and then article says nothing backing its claim. The news is just based on the fact that it is something that is possible to do and not that it’s being rumored. 
I’d be happy getting Arob back. I was his biggest detractor a few years ago when I felt he took plays off and didn’t play with heart but I’m thinking his weak first year was entirely on his slow recovery from injury. Lately he’s been everything I could want him to be. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Can’t stand the fb bears news posts that are all clickbait. “Sounds like Allen Robinson is getting tagged and traded” and then article says nothing backing its claim. The news is just based on the fact that it is something that is possible to do and not that it’s being rumored. 
I’d be happy getting Arob back. I was his biggest detractor a few years ago when I felt he took plays off and didn’t play with heart but I’m thinking his weak first year was entirely on his slow recovery from injury. Lately he’s been everything I could want him to be. 

Sports Mockery does an article just about every day about the bears are definitely getting each and every QB who has, or will ever exist.

It's just writers with no actual info trying to keep food on the table, honestly.

• Like 1

https://www.golongtd.com/p/the-truth-on-allen-robinson

A few important quotes:

This could go down as the offseason we witnessed a quantum shift in the power dynamics of the sport and Robinson is the guy who could really swing that pendulum to the players. Consider who he is. Up to this point, Robinson hasn’t said much at all. He’s been the man of Zen, calmly controlling what he can control through all the chaos. One day, last September, he asked for a trade. Moments later, he went back to work. You heard Robinson here in this space — he was following those three magical words from Kobe: “Get over yourself.” Robinson busted his *** all season long to finish with 102 receptions for 1,250 yards and six touchdowns… and his reward? His pot of gold?

No phone calls from the Bears.

Through seven seasons and 90 games of footballs sailing over his head and harebrained playcalls in the red zone and losing (God, all the losing), Robinson didn’t scowl. Didn’t throw his arms up. Didn’t curse. He always jogged back to the huddle and lined up again.

Yet, this is also true: Robinson knows his worth and he is ready to put his future in his hands. This is a column of truth and, sometimes, the truth hurts. Robinson knows the team could tag him, and he is fully prepared for that unfortunate scenario. One way or another, this offseason, he will finally speak his future into existence because, to him, his future is crystal clear:

• A new market-value contract

• The Super Bowl

• The Hall of Fame

With his future hanging in the balance on the eve of free agency, Robinson spoke at length to Go Long.

And, first, he makes it abundantly clear he wanted this to work in Chicago. Not one bad word is uttered about anyone personally at Halas Hall, but he’s also blunt. Robinson’s camp initiated multiple conversations with the Bears last offseason alone to get a deal done. The market rose. And rose. Robinson did his part and, now, Robinson doesn’t sound like someone who’ll be a Chicago Bear in 2021.

“I do have a lot of love for the city of Chicago,” Robinson begins. “I think that gets skewed in the talks — my feelings for Chicago. For me, it’s really about evaluating what’s best for my career. For myself, I’m always a team guy and always have been a team guy. Once you get to these points in your career where you’ve played out your contract and you’re becoming a free agent, you have to sit back and think about what’s best for you not only on the field but for your family.

“For myself, as a person and a player, I think the city of Chicago has an outstanding fan base. The best fan base I’ve played for in the NFL. I am thoughtful of that through the process because — for myself — I never want to feel like I don’t enjoy the city of Chicago. They’ve embraced my foundation in the community. I built a ton of relationships. But, unfortunately, those aren’t the things that weigh the most in a situation like this.”

The last time Robinson was a free agent, he was recovering from a torn ACL. Now, he’s fresh off three straight fantastic individual seasons.

He wants to maximize his worth.

He wants to join a contender.

I don't agree with a lot of what he passive aggressively did during the season. It was unnecessary and, to me, petulant.

He signed a contract, the 6th richest for a WR, and he was coming off a torn ACL. There are reports that other teams offered him contracts as well, but he chose us because it was the most money. That's fine, money makes the world go round.

He's a solid WR, but to be paid like a true #1, you need to be a game changer. I watched him lose multiple 50/50 balls that wound up being intercepted by a corner. One cost us a TD, another he literally jumped (for no reason) and kicked into the air so it was intercepted. **** like that sticks out when I read him whining about not being given a fair offer. In my football world, a true #1 WR makes that play every single time. They get both ******* feet down in bounds in the endzone or on sideline catches -- ROUTINELY.

Robinson has to remember that the NFL and the NFLPA (HIS union) collectively bargained to have the franchise tag. So I hope we tag him with it and he has to deal with it. I don't have any sympathy for this bull****.

I also find it incredibly difficult to fault the organization when they have a proven track record of getting players paid the season before their contract expires.

Edited by G08
  • Like 1

I keep hearing these little nitpicks about a couple of plays that could've been made but I don't hear the same things about Julio, Nuk, MT, or any other WR when they drop a ball. 

Arob deserved to be paid last year and not only did the FO ignore him but they also let him go and ball out again to raise his price. 

3 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Arob deserved to be paid last year and not only did the FO ignore him but they also let him go and ball out again to raise his price. 

Yeah...not quite sure what they were thinking by not extending him before last year. He'd proved himself. If he played poorly last season, his price would have went down--but then, do you want to keep him anyway? It's puzzling stuff from GM extraordinaire Ryan Pace...

Here's the way I see it.  If Bears truly want to keep Robinson and not just for 1-year then they should slap him with the transition tag.  I think that's fair for both parties and will allow the market to set ARob's value.  I also think in a year with a cap crunch like we're hearing it will be, this move could benefit the Bears as teams will be more hesitant to dish out big money on long term contracts. 

The only drawback in this scenario is that if Bears don't retain him then they lose him for nothing and will not be entitled to a compensatory pick.  But like I said you only do this if your true intent is to keep the guy here long term and a deal cannot be agreed to otherwise.

If Pace & Nagy are lukewarm at signing him to a market value deal for multiple years, then it'd be in their best interest to try a tag & trade scenario so they get value back now instead of a year down the road when they may not even be here any longer.  

I said earlier that the tag seems like the most probably scenario at this point given what we know and that Pace & Nagy are on the hot seat, but I'm not sure it will accomplish much good other than just disgruntling the player and alienating the fan base....

34 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Here's the way I see it.  If Bears truly want to keep Robinson and not just for 1-year then they should slap him with the transition tag.  I think that's fair for both parties and will allow the market to set ARob's value.  I also think in a year with a cap crunch like we're hearing it will be, this move could benefit the Bears as teams will be more hesitant to dish out big money on long term contracts. 

The only drawback in this scenario is that if Bears don't retain him then they lose him for nothing and will not be entitled to a compensatory pick.  But like I said you only do this if your true intent is to keep the guy here long term and a deal cannot be agreed to otherwise.

If Pace & Nagy are lukewarm at signing him to a market value deal for multiple years, then it'd be in their best interest to try a tag & trade scenario so they get value back now instead of a year down the road when they may not even be here any longer.  

I said earlier that the tag seems like the most probably scenario at this point given what we know and that Pace & Nagy are on the hot seat, but I'm not sure it will accomplish much good other than just disgruntling the player and alienating the fan base....

If they transition tag him he is gone. The Bears cannot match any offer that is structured to pay early. The Jets and Dolphins could not meet his desired price and still make it impossible for the Bears to match.

• Like 1