Allen Robinson gets Franchise Tag (updated pg 8)

WindyCity

It is impossible for Bears to go into 2021 with Mooney and Miller as their starting WRs.   That is Pace slitting his own throat.  No one can win with that.  Won’t happen.  

Robinson will either be resigned or play under tag or another high level FA WR will be along with whatever QB they bring in.  

Which means Fuller and/or Hicks are probably gone to save $$.

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

It is impossible for Bears to go into 2021 with Mooney and Miller as their starting WRs.   That is Pace slitting his own throat.  No one can win with that.  Won’t happen.  

Robinson will either be resigned or play under tag or another high level FA WR will be along with whatever QB they bring in.  

Which means Fuller and/or Hicks are probably gone to save $$.

I doubt it.  Only way either of those two are gone is if they are going somewhere in a trade back for a QB, otherwise it wouldn't make any sense.  

Pace will be able to create more cap space without letting those guys go, if needed be.  Plus you don;t let you number 1 corner go so easily like that.

Also, there is a lot of chatter that the cap floor is going to be higher than expected due to the apparent lucrative new TV deals that are about to be announced.  A lot of people are speculating this based on Cowboys owner Jerry Jones' willingness to give Dak all that big money in his new contract.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I doubt it.  Only way either of those two are gone is if they are going somewhere in a trade back for a QB, otherwise it wouldn't make any sense.  

Pace will be able to create more cap space without letting those guys go, if needed be.  Plus you don;t let you number 1 corner go so easily like that.

Also, there is a lot of chatter that the cap floor is going to be higher than expected due to the apparent lucrative new TV deals that are about to be announced.  A lot of people are speculating this based on Cowboys owner Jerry Jones' willingness to give Dak all that big money in his new contract.

Hope you are right.  We'll see.

8 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

Bears have about 3 hours to tag him.  I haven’t seen anything about Robinson on Twitter.  They’re gonna tag him......right?

FT numbers aren't official until the cap is official, which it still isn't. there's talk that some teams - probably mostly the bears - think that the FT deadline will be moved, which is why they are waiting. 

3 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

I love how many people are surprised by this move. 

It still may not be Robinson on team, but they needed leverage of this move as a back up plan.   It is looking a lot more likely with Godwin tagged that ARob will be here.   Golladay is one of few other viable options. 

I have maintained all along that there is no way no how the 2021 Bears starting WRs are Mooney and Miller with Ridley as #3 regardless of who QB is.

That would be ridiculous.   Of course they are one injury from that happening regardless, but still to have that as your plan is just crazy unless you are tanking.   

Pace and Nagy are trying to win as much as possible in 2021.

Mooney and ARob looks a whole lot better than Mooney and Miller.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I have maintained all along that there is no way no how the 2021 Bears starting WRs are Mooney and Miller with Ridley as #3 regardless of who QB is.

You're right, of course. But...we don't know how good Ridley even is.

26 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Mooney and ARob looks a whole lot better than Mooney and Miller.

I don't know what to make of Miller. I watched stuff from his college days, and adored the pick when Pace made it. Then he flashed early on, and I got even more excited. Now he's just an enigma. It does seem like he needs a high volume of targets to succeed, and that's a quirk that a lot of very good receivers share. Robinson was Trubisky's security blanket--his binky. It could happen that with better QB play, Miller will come closer to fulfilling his potential. Or...he may end up being a scrub for the rest of his career. 

Expected all along

I believe Bears waited til last minute because they wanted to at least make it appear that this wasn't their goal all along even though mostly everyone knew this was going to happen

Interestingly Kenny Golladay didn't get tagged from Detroit and will now become a FA

His deal should help set ARobs next deal

Edited by topwop1

15 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

You're right, of course. But...we don't know how good Ridley even is.

I don't know what to make of Miller. I watched stuff from his college days, and adored the pick when Pace made it. Then he flashed early on, and I got even more excited. Now he's just an enigma. It does seem like he needs a high volume of targets to succeed, and that's a quirk that a lot of very good receivers share. Robinson was Trubisky's security blanket--his binky. It could happen that with better QB play, Miller will come closer to fulfilling his potential. Or...he may end up being a scrub for the rest of his career. 

I think Miller was a legit 2nd round prospect based on college tape.   Nagy has been ****e at developing raw talent.

Ridley we don't know either.  He could be a contributor given opportunity.    I think we do know Ridley doesn't have game changing athleticism or speed though.

Mooney gave them an element they haven't had.   Speed.   Mooney is open a lot.  If we had good QB and O Line play, his numbers would have been way better.

You can't forget though that Mooney is not built for this league.   He played super tough last year - was even a lead blocker for Pete's sake (and our most effective one sadly), but he can't too many big shots without breaking.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I think Miller was a legit 2nd round prospect based on college tape.   Nagy has been ****e at developing raw talent.

Ridley we don't know either.  He could be a contributor given opportunity.    I think we do know Ridley doesn't have game changing athleticism or speed though.

Mooney gave them an element they haven't had.   Speed.   Mooney is open a lot.  If we had good QB and O Line play, his numbers would have been way better.

You can't forget though that Mooney is not built for this league.   He played super tough last year - was even a lead blocker for Pete's sake (and our most effective one sadly), but he can't too many big shots without breaking.

Miller based on talent was a legit 2nd round prospect - we can all see it on the field...when he actually focuses. I don't think that is Nagy issue, i think that's a miller issue. each player has to have his own want to, and i'm not sure miller is showing he does have it.

as for ridley, i feel like he go drafted based on his last name. he brother showed up in the pros, and he probably should have gone back to school. i certainly think he's shown he can play when he is on the field, but hasn't gotten on there. maybe they think that wim's run blocking outweighed ridley's pass catching capability