Allen Robinson gets Franchise Tag (updated pg 8)

WindyCity

We have the tag at our disposal. Use it. If he wants to be here, they'll figure out a number that works and we can back-load it; I'm sure all he cares about is the guaranteed $$$.

If he doesn't want to be here, he can huff and puff but come week 1 he'll be on the field.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, G08 said:

We have the tag at our disposal. Use it. If he wants to be here, they'll figure out a number that works and we can back-load it; I'm sure all he cares about is the guaranteed $$$.

If he doesn't want to be here, he can huff and puff but come week 1 he'll be on the field.

The bigger problem to me about how the Robinson situation is playing out isn’t about Robinson but rather future potential FA signees. What Pace is doing here is going to make other guys have unnecessary second thoughts about signing here. 

30 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

The bigger problem to me about how the Robinson situation is playing out isn’t about Robinson but rather future potential FA signees. What Pace is doing here is going to make other guys have unnecessary second thoughts about signing here. 

I've thought about that... it's one thing if we were flush with cash, we are the exact opposite right now.

9 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I understand where you're coming from but I'm not sure I agree. In FA most of the time it's money talks. You offer a guy enough money and he will sign here. We saw it just last year with the Robert Quinn and Jimmy Graham signings.

Pace doesn't exactly have a known history of not paying guys either. The only other guy I can remember is Alshon Jeffery. Maybe he just doesn't value WRs as much as other positions? Who knows.

Though I'm not going to sit here and pretend to know what happened inside the negotiations between Pace and Robinson's camp.

Obviously ARob is going to paint himself as the good guy in this situation when talking to the media..but we truly don't know all the facts and what the actual demands were...and frankly given the murky cap situation this offseason and that Pace is on the hot seat..I can't really blame him too much for not having reached an agreement with ARob to this point.

This is all just business 

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

It is going to cause issues.

18 million tied up on a player that may or may not show up at any point. Also hurts the Bears trade leverage.

They arent on the hook for that money until he signs his tender.  That's why they can rescind the tag at any point until then. This isnt a tough decision, you tag him.  If he signs his tender, great, hes here and you can negotiate a long term deal until July.  If he doesnt, you start making plans in case he doesnt show up, including trade possibilities, but you control his rights for the year and have all the leverage.  It doesnt hurt the Bears one iota to tag him.  Other than you are declaring tonhis agent, the starting point is 18 per.  

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

They arent on the hook for that money until he signs his tender.  That's why they can rescind the tag at any point until then. This isnt a tough decision, you tag him.  If he signs his tender, great, hes here and you can negotiate a long term deal until July.  If he doesnt, you start making plans in case he doesnt show up, including trade possibilities, but you control his rights for the year and have all the leverage.  It doesnt hurt the Bears one iota to tag him.  Other than you are declaring tonhis agent, the starting point is 18 per.  

You have to hold the money. He can come in and sign it any day he wants.

You can spend the money but as soon as you do he is going to force you to rescind the tag.

The Bears should 100% tag him. But if he is going to really dig in that complicates the Bears position.

I think tagging him and being open to the media that it is with the intention of extending him is something that puts the pressure back on his camp.

If they decide to trade him then you can easily go the route saying "We couldn't come to an agreement and he seemed like he wanted out." It's just the same media speak and will be forgotten after a few weeks like almost all these stories.

5 hours ago, Nads786 said:

Has it ever gone smoothly when a player get's franchised. 

Yes, it has. I remember when Lance Briggs said he'd never play another down for the Chicago Bears.

I remember the hissy fit Matt Forte threw, etc.