Allen Robinson gets Franchise Tag (updated pg 8)

WindyCity

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

It is going to cause issues.

18 million tied up on a player that may or may not show up at any point. Also hurts the Bears trade leverage.

I don't care. He'll show up, he wants money too much to get fined/show up out of shape etc.

The one thing I don't like about this whole situation is how public Robinson is making his feelings known to the media.

Just shut up already dude

He's a good player and deserves to be paid...but in all fairness he should let the process play out a bit first before whining and bitching about it all

It's just part of the business

12 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Most do. We see only a couple guys a year that actually hold out from practices. I think the last one to miss games was a decade ago.

Faced with losing millions to no avail they almost all give in.  But they usually aren’t happy about it.

They want the long term bigger upfront payout rather than the one year guarantee that comes with risk of injury or poor play.  

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

Faced with losing millions to no avail they almost all give in.  But they usually aren’t happy about it.

They want the long term bigger upfront payout rather than the one year guarantee that comes with risk of injury or poor play.  

I agree. But most guys who are tagged are coming off of their rookie deals. Robinson already has 50 million in earnings.

He has more of a war chest to hold out.

8 hours ago, topwop1 said:

The one thing I don't like about this whole situation is how public Robinson is making his feelings known to the media.

Just shut up already dude

He's a good player and deserves to be paid...but in all fairness he should let the process play out a bit first before whining and bitching about it all

It's just part of the business

It’s really all he can do.

He already did the shut up and play thing all season.

I think he is using the media to establish his position. He knows the fans have turned on the GM and HC and he wants to keep himself in the more positive position.

• Like 2

For the record I don’t mind that Pace isn’t giving Robinson whatever he wants.

But this is a mess of Pace’s making. This would not be as big a deal if Robinson wasn’t the only offensive difference maker on bad offense that has to get better. Pace’s offensive incompetence has left Robinson with more leverage than he should have.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

I agree. But most guys who are tagged are coming off of their rookie deals. Robinson already has 50 million in earnings.

He has more of a war chest to hold out.

I think with a lower cap in 2021 and a likely rising cap with new tv deals subsequent to that it may be strategically wise to bet on himself one more year and take the guaranteed tag for a potentially larger payday to a contender. 

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

For the record I don’t mind that Pace isn’t giving Robinson whatever he wants.

But this is a mess of Pace’s making. This would not be as big a deal if Robinson wasn’t the only offensive difference maker on bad offense that has to get better. Pace’s offensive incompetence has left Robinson with more leverage than he should have.

We don't know with 100% certainty that Pace didn't give him what he thought was a fair offer and Robinson is the one playing hardball because, you know, maybe he just doesn't really want to be on the Bears roster any more?

Alot is being put out there right now...but no one really knows the absolute truth.

And I disagree Robinson has all the leverage now just because he played out his current contract without getting a new deal. 

Franchise tag removes any one sided leverage. Bears can create cap space out of thin air if needed and he can sit out if he wants but then he stands to lose in some form

I just find it a bit hypocritical when players point at front office as the bad guys when they choose to use tools such as the tag when in fact the majority players agreed to have it as part of the CBA

Robinson needs to look somewhere else to point the finger. Just my honest opinion

Edited by topwop1

4 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

We don't know with 100% certainty that Pace didn't give him what he thought was a fair offer and Robinson is the one playing hardball because, you know, maybe he just doesn't really want to be on the Bears roster any more?

I think we do know that though, don't we? Didn't Pace himself say that the two sides had talks, but no actual offer was made? 

15 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Alot is being put out there right now...but no one really knows the absolute truth.

And I disagree Robinson has all the leverage now just because he played out his current contract without getting a new deal. 

Franchise tag removes any one sided leverage. Bears can create cap space out of thin air if needed and he can sit out if he wants but then he stands to lose in some form

I just find it a bit hypocritical when players point at front office as the bad guys when they choose to use tools such as the tag when in fact the majority players agreed to have it as part of the CBA

Robinson needs to look somewhere else to point the finger. Just my honest opinion

He has leverage because the Bears do not have the cap space or talent to survive a prolonged hold out.

38 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

He has leverage because the Bears do not have the cap space or talent to survive a prolonged hold out.

I just told you they can make cap space easily

Also Robinson is not going to hold out on making a guaranteed $16M or whatever it will be for 2021

He may be angry about the tag but he won't miss games and potentially lower his value across the league by sitting out 

Let's not kid ourselves 

59 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I think we do know that though, don't we? Didn't Pace himself say that the two sides had talks, but no actual offer was made? 

Not that I know of...do you have a link to this?

I read this from a sports mockery article, which I understand isn't the most reliable source, but the quote comes from the writer of DaBearsBlog who apparently has an insider source working in Halas Hall. Take it for what it is...

THE BEARS HAVE MADE MANY SUBSTANTIAL, LUCRATIVE OFFERS TO ROBINSON AND HIS SIDE HAS REJECTED ALL OF THEM. HE WANTS $100 MILLION. NO ONE IS GOING TO PAY HIM THAT.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-bears/allen-robinson-contract-demands-reportedly-way-higher-than-expected/%3famp

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

Not that I know of...do you have a link to this?

I read this from a sports mockery article, which I understand isn't the most reliable source, but the quote comes from the writer of DaBearsBlog who apparently has an insider source working in Halas Hall. Take it for what it is...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-bears/allen-robinson-contract-demands-reportedly-way-higher-than-expected/%3famp

Huh. Well, if it's true he wants a $100 mil contract...uhhh, good luck with that, Robinson...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Huh. Well, if it's true he wants a $100 mil contract...uhhh, good luck with that, Robinson...

If true then I think it's just his way of trying to force himself out of Chicago. I also don't believe there's a way he gets that much on the open market. He's good but not that good...

9 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

If true then I think it's just his way of trying to force himself out of Chicago. I also don't believe there's a way he gets that much on the open market. He's good but not that good...

he's better than amari cooper, and that's the contract he got. It doesn't matter if he's "worth" it, the market has been set