2021 NFL Draft

RamRod

3 hours ago, NYRamsFan88 said:

Perhaps a pass rusher or CB?? Either one would make me happy. I feel like we can get offensive lineman later in the draft... 

Given Atlanta's regularity of swinging and missing on early round pass-rushers during Morris' tenure there (outside of Grady Jarrett, who was drafted in the 3rd in his first year there), unless we're lumping the heavy blame on Dan Quinn (for failure to develop them properly) or Thomas Dmitroff as the GM, I'm not sure I'd be all that excited about a pass-rusher that Morris was really excited about.  Another trend of the Falcons in his tenure there, though, was a propensity at least on defense, for spending early (Day 1/2) picks on LSU guys (also SEC guys, but LSU was the the more-often standout among the in-conference tendencies).

30 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

Given Atlanta's regularity of swinging and missing on early round pass-rushers during Morris' tenure there (outside of Grady Jarrett, who was drafted in the 3rd in his first year there), unless we're lumping the heavy blame on Dan Quinn (for failure to develop them properly) or Thomas Dmitroff as the GM, I'm not sure I'd be all that excited about a pass-rusher that Morris was really excited about.  Another trend of the Falcons in his tenure there, though, was a propensity at least on defense, for spending early (Day 1/2) picks on LSU guys (also SEC guys, but LSU was the the more-often standout among the in-conference tendencies).

So....Jabril Cox @ #57 

4 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

So....Jabril Cox @ #57 

Could be.  I could also see Kelvin Joseph as someone that might entice Morris, given that A) Morris is a former DB coach and B) Joseph was an LSU transfer to Kentucky, so he fits that LSU mold and has the tools to really shine in a zone scheme if polished properly.

Unless Morris is going to completely change the scheme, Cox feels like a waste. His skill is coverage, especially M2M coverage. He's a janitor in the running game. But if we're running a zone-heavy scheme again, that limits his value to us.

24 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Unless Morris is going to completely change the scheme, Cox feels like a waste. His skill is coverage, especially M2M coverage. He's a janitor in the running game. But if we're running a zone-heavy scheme again, that limits his value to us.

Yeah, he'd largely be projecting off of his athletic traits and I'm not sure he'd ever actually realize his full potential with us.  The guy who would utterly flourish, in my estimation, but unless the draftniks are right in terms of his valuation (and they tend to be a half-round behind, at least, of late) is Jamin Davis.  But I'm just not convinced we're going to tap LB so early as to land him.

6 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

Yeah, he'd largely be projecting off of his athletic traits and I'm not sure he'd ever actually realize his full potential with us.  The guy who would utterly flourish, in my estimation, but unless the draftniks are right in terms of his valuation (and they tend to be a half-round behind, at least, of late) is Jamin Davis.  But I'm just not convinced we're going to tap LB so early as to land him.

I'm still partial to Pete Werner.

7 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I'm still partial to Pete Werner.

His fit is obvious.  I'm just really precarious because he's the type of prospect I can totally see another team that isn't going to offer him as natural a scheme fit is going to draft him (based off past history of guys I've liked because of their instincts and then getting draft-squandered - the Bengals are a likely culprit, but I can see someone like Saleh coveting him in NY too).

I just put this together on PFF. Changed the settings to the PFF grade vs Public. It doesn't address corner, but I went with what I felt was BPA.

#57: Creed Humphrey

#88: Pete Werner

#103: Ihmir Smith-Marsette

TRADE: #147 + #195 and HOU receives #141 + 2023 7th Round pick

#147: D'Wayne Eskridge

#195: Dylan Moses

#209: Darius Still

#252L Tony Fields 

So McVay thinks we don't really have any glaring holes or have to draft a center. Curious what the plan is at center. Move Corbett over go back to the Brian Allen experiment? If Humphrey and Dickerson are gone at 57 I don't wanna go that route anyway. Maybe wait another round and try and get someone like Myers, Dalman, or Kendrick Green.

Linebacker still seems highly doubtful at 57. We've met with some linebackers but they're like rounds 4-7 guys. 

Everything to me seems to point to CB at 57. Even if Samuel isn't there we could still get someone like Tyson Campbell, Elijah Molden, Kelvin Joseph, or Aaron Robinson.

51 minutes ago, RamRod said:

So McVay thinks we don't really have any glaring holes or have to draft a center. Curious what the plan is at center. Move Corbett over go back to the Brian Allen experiment? If Humphrey and Dickerson are gone at 57 I don't wanna go that route anyway. Maybe wait another round and try and get someone like Myers, Dalman, or Kendrick Green.

Linebacker still seems highly doubtful at 57. We've met with some linebackers but they're like rounds 4-7 guys. 

Everything to me seems to point to CB at 57. Even if Samuel isn't there we could still get someone like Tyson Campbell, Elijah Molden, Kelvin Joseph, or Aaron Robinson.

Have a feeling we trade out of #57, but if we stay CB/EDGE/WR will likely be the pick.

That same article from McVay's quote states how much he likes the flexiblity and experience Noteboom, Edwards, and Evans have gained.

Whit-Evans-Corbett-Edwards-Haventstein is still a very good O-line with Noteboom flexible to the left side.

• Like 1