1 minute ago, MDY10 said:

Any chance all these receivers means they definitely aren’t re signing Kupp and woods when their time comes? I feel like they just thought about the future most of this draft lol I’m so very happy with how they drafted defensively. 

I think two of the receivers we drafted are going to be more move-TE/H-Back types than traditional WR's (which if it's the case it means McVay is actually learning from past mistakes and adapting his scheme, realizing it's not God's gift to football and completely infallible).  DeSean is very much here on a 1-year deal.  I don't think we're going to be looking to trade the starting WR's we have, but I don't think we're going to bend over backward to re-sign them or extend them when the times comes.  Kupp just got an extension recently anyway and renegotiated for a more team-friendly cap number.  Woods current deal runs through the same period that Stafford's does, I believe.  So we'll probably re-evaluate once we've got a clearer picture of whether we're in it for the long haul (i.e. till he retires) with Stafford or not.

• Like 1

Also worth noting, and I'm nowhere near going to the length of saying I think McVay may have been coyly dropping hints there, but back when Edwards was a prospect, there was speculation in the scouting community that his best position actually could lie at center.  There have also been a fair amount of Wisconsin OL prospects who have been converted to center in the pros, largely because, if I remember correctly, Wisconsin preached a total-football-ish concept on the line wherein every guy was expected to at least be familiar with playing the other positions on the line beyond just their regular position, so that they wouldn't be as caught off-guard if they were forced to improvise mid-game or mid-season.

I doubt it's an option, but I'm not ruling it out either.

5 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I’m a very big fan of Alaric. I think he has some versatility that can be unlocked

I seem to remember you mocking him to us or am I thinking somebody else? I like the signing think he could learn from Carberry and could follow in the footsteps of Evans and Edwards. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, NVRamsFan said:

I seem to remember you mocking him to us or am I thinking somebody else?

It sure was me (the same mock I had us taking Tutu haha) this is what I said back then, and still feel the same

R6/P204 Alaric Jackson OL Iowa

I will always take a chance on Lineman form certain schools, and Iowa is at the top of that list. A 4 year starter/contributor as a Hawkeye is a guy who can help you. Jackson is both of those things. He is mostly maxed out as a Tackle, and would probably be a liability there long term in the NFL. But I think he has real potential as a Guard, especially in a Zone system. He is a smart player, with impressive natural power, and although he is limited Athletically, he would have plenty enough on the interior of the line.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

It sure was me (the same mock I had us taking Tutu haha) this is what I said back then, and still feel the same

R6/P204 Alaric Jackson OL Iowa

I will always take a chance on Lineman form certain schools, and Iowa is at the top of that list. A 4 year starter/contributor as a Hawkeye is a guy who can help you. Jackson is both of those things. He is mostly maxed out as a Tackle, and would probably be a liability there long term in the NFL. But I think he has real potential as a Guard, especially in a Zone system. He is a smart player, with impressive natural power, and although he is limited Athletically, he would have plenty enough on the interior of the line.

I don't see him sticking on the edge. He's too heavy-legged. But he is country strong. If he can be more consistent with his pad level and hands, he might just have a good future at OG.

• Like 1

great draft. beside qb our biggest problem was st. we went heavy after st guys. done.
now move noteboom to rt, corbett to c and havenstein to g and this ol is way better than last year.

not sexy at all, getting a bunch of worker bees. but who cares.
feels like last year when everybody was bashing the rams because they didn't pick up an ol guys.
what a waste of time.

• Like 1

I think there was some huge reaching in this draft for sure. It almost felt like an arrogant draft. Like our team is set and we just gor developmental guys.

That being said a few people mentioned this is great for our ST and I have to agree, that is the weak unit of our squad and they just saw a massive upgrade here. Our defense will be top tier with Donald and Ramsey and the rest of the pieces of around them just fill roles. So defense wasn't a huge need.

And as for offense....I think it's a little risky not drafting heavy oline...but maybe Mcvay is super confident in Staffords PA ability and his own ability to scheme around heavy pass rush? 

I won't lie, I was never really worried about Goff and oline, cause that kid was as tough and never injured. Stafford is tough too but he is also 7 years older and has taken a beating...being arrogant with his protection could be our downfall.

The feeling I have right now is the same feeling I've had in past drafts. "Why did we address these positions and ignore others? Why did we pass on X to take Y?"

I will say I'm a little more scared this year than most with Brad Holmes gone, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they know what this team is missing. 

Tutu is STILL a head scratcher to me for where he was picked, but alot of draft outlets had him as the 4th best WR and a 2nd round talent. If they can get him to add 20lbs+ I'll feel better about it.

Jacob Harris is my favorite pick of the draft. He has the potential to be whatever he wants in the league with that size and elite athleticism. 

Meaningless Post Draft Grade: B-

We did fill many needs (DL, ILB, WR, CB, Special Teams), but didn't address O-line at all until UDFA. First pick was a reach IMO, but we did manage to turn 6 picks into 9 and take some high upside prospects while already having starters entrenched at all 22 positions.

• Like 1

Ok so my overall take on the Rams draft is simple. They looked at their need to upgrade speed on offense and their special teams that has been a strength in the past but now a weakness. They did just that. For special teams Im sure they are going to give Tutu a look because he is just a speedy playmaker so why not? They drafted Harris whom was said to be the best if not one of the best special team players in the draft. He is just a freakish athlete that possibly will eventually be a part of the offense but in the meantime will get first crack on special teams. Then I think @jrry32 said Funk could be our version of the Pats special teams stud Matthew Slater. So again the Rams definitely upgraded on special teams. 

Need for speed on offense, look no further than Tutu. People can pick on his size but as I keep hearing, he plays big. He knows what to do with the ball in his hands. McVay calls him DeSean Jackson Jr. If he can be half of what a healthy DeSean has been throughout his career we have something scary on our hands. Remember DeSean fell to the 2nd round when he came out. As a matter of fact every receiver that year fell to the 2nd round including Jordy Nelson who had a great career with the Packers. We talk about the Rams making the mistake in drafting Donnie Avery but let me make something clear. I WANTED DESEAN. I was begging and pleading that the Rams draft DeSean when he fell but they took Avery instead. Thats called poor management. You want to ask, well what about Tavon? I did want Tavon but can you answer this question? If McVay was the coach would he have wanted to go up and get Tavon? My guess is no. Fisher had no clue and plus Tavon was ruined in my opinion when McVay got there and he was hurt AGAIN so he missed a good chunk of what McVay was installing throughout the offseason to even be effective. Im confident Tutu will work out. Then Harris again I mentioned he is a freakish athlete. He was mentioned in the same sentence as DK so thats all you need to know about him. Now I dont envision Harris being DK, he can definitely come on the field and be that mismatch that Stafford will find.

So when I look outside of upgrading the speed on offense and special teams I look at the few additions on defense. The guys on the NFL Network raved about Jones. He is a thumper who rarely miss tackles. He is physical and he even gave the 4th overall pick Pitts some problems. I think he will fit well on the Rams defense who we know loves to be physical. I really like the Brown pick. If Im not mistaken he dominated against my LSU Tigers this past season. He was 1st team all SEC as well. As much as Im going to miss Brockers, I think Brown is the perfect player to replace him. The cornerback Rochell from what I hear plays a little like Peters which can be good and bad but the good news Rochell wont be lining up against top 2 receivers in the NFL. He will make plays in the slot and when he does we all going to go crazy of how happy we was with him being picked. 

I really liked in what the Rams did this weekend. I trust in what Les and McVay is doing. As I think I pointed out before, every draft we go crazy because they didnt draft an OL and they passed on guys we wanted. Then when the season starts the guys we said we didnt like them being selected or just baffled by the selection like Akers, Johnson III, and Fuller to name a few all made great impacts for the team that season. And the OL is still played above average. Yes they lost Blythe but its not like we lost an all-pro center thats going to have our OL go from abover average to terrible. Rams have a plan and they are sticking to it rather than panic. Thats what successful organizations do. 

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

I will say I'm a little more scared this year than most with Brad Holmes gone,

You could really see the difference in this draft compared to previous ones, and at the same time see his finger prints all over the Lions draft (after the atop 10 pick obviously)

How much will that impact us going forward? (Just different strategy or really hurt us) only time will tell

1 hour ago, BStanRamFan said:

Meaningless Post Draft Grade: B-

We did fill many needs (DL, ILB, WR, CB, Special Teams), but didn't address O-line at all until UDFA. First pick was a reach IMO, but we did manage to turn 6 picks into 9 and take some high upside prospects while already having starters entrenched at all 22 positions.

I think this is fair. I come back to for me I thought our worst pick last year was Fuller so clearly I don't know more than the team. 

If Ernest Jones pans out, I'll feel pretty good about this class. Tutu was a reach but I think he'll be a good weapon for us. Jones is the one guy who in my estimation has limited upside which isn't what I want for a 3rd round pick. 

• Like 2