2021 NFL Draft

RamRod

I don't believe that Ryan Wilson at CBS is any more clued-in than a slew of major media outlet draftniks, but I have to say I wouldn't be disappointed in our crop from his latest mock - structurally (i.e. positions taken and order taken in within our schedule of picks) for sure, I would nitpick certain players (which he has of similar value) at that same position over the ones he selected in a few instances, but that's a matter of personal choice.

R2 (57): Alex Leatherwood; OL, Alabama
  - He has Meinerz going three picks later, who would be my preferred option, but I could also understand and wouldn't hate Leatherwood, just a matter a different kind of versatility and presents a different schedule moving forward.  In either instance, I feel like the pick would be slotting in as the immediate RG, though in the case of Leatherwood that's likely with an aim of kicking him out to tackle in the long-run (more likely as a successor to Havenstein, but he'd probably get, at minimum, practice looks at LT to see if he could hold there).  With Leatherwood, it's clear to see the fit and projection from Bama's offensive scheme to ours.

R3 (88): Benjamin St-Juste; CB, Minnesota
    - This probably had a number of casual Rams fans scratching their heads, but I definitely don't hate it.  The fit is good and he is the last CB before a notable tier-drop at the position for me that was on the board.  The drop-off in his play from 2019 to 2020 was, very much in my opinion, due to being deployed far more in 2020 as a nickel rather than a boundary corner.  The later is far more his strength.  But he very much fits with what had seemed like the Staley plan to deploy two definitive CB's on the boundary and then use hybrid/multi-safety looks to really confuse the hell out of opposing offenses/QB's.

R3 (103): Derrick Barnes; LB, Purdue
     - Again, I'm perfectly fine with the position here.  And I don't hate Barnes, I'd probably have - given my druthers - opted for guys like either Cameron McGrone or Dylan Moses (who both went in the next 10 picks) - but that's more because of a lack of ceiling, and a lot of that stems from his build and his lack of plus-instincts to compensate for only-average speed at the position.  Barnes would be a fit and someone I'm confident would stick on the roster - I have doubts he'd be a heavy-rotation players year 1 or even challenge for those reps, barring injuries - just more a jack-all-trades/master-of-none type.

R4 (144): Jaylon Moore; OT, Western Michigan
     - I get it, and I feel like as long as Whitworth keeps coming back (and we have no 1st round pick to address the matter), we'll like continue to approach the LTotF spot like we have TE by taking Day 2 or 3 lottery tickets on toolsy guys that you hope to polish/coach-up and hope to catch a winner.  And, similar to several selections Snead has made in the past, I can see something like this happening, because if he hits he eliminates a hole that would need to be filled by a much more premium asset in the near-future ... which, in turn, gives him more flexibility in the present.

R6 (209): Austin Watkins; WR, UAB
   - I know some people are going to crap on this because "he's not a vertical threat," and yeah, I get it.  But this late anyone with the kind of speed to take the top off a defense on pure athletic gifts also comes with such severe flaws that they're typically not good for much more than decoy duty (and I don't see McVay implementing that).  Minus the lack of a legitimate second gear, Watkins (ironically, cousin of Sammy) projects well into Sean's scheme, albeit as a high-floor depth guy (which, given that Kupp is coming off another injury, isn't a bad thing to have).  Other options there would have been Smith-Marsette, who's potential never has really translated to the field in-game (and you're banking a lot on assuming Iowa just misused him to explain that), or Jonathan Adams Jr who, yes, turned in a better 40-time than Watkins, but I've yet to see the speed he clocked his 40 at show up in any of the (admittedly, limited) tape I've seen on him.

R7 (252): Noah Gray; TE, Duke
     - As noted above, another lottery ticket at a position where we, understandably, don't have someone we see as a long-term solution at the position, so take a chance on tools and see if you can coach him up.  I mean, it's a 7th round pick and you hope that if he builds his strength it will improve his blocking (you really hope it, because he was getting destroyed in a number of Senior Bowl practice reps), but he's likely not much more than a move/depth TE who can give you some juice in special teams.  Maybe you take a flier on Matt Bushman (who went 2-3 picks later) to see if his burst, a little under a year removed from Achilles surgery, hasn't been sapped.  I'd have preferred Quinton Morris (who went just after both Gray and Bushman).  And one of my late round TE's, Pro Wells, would have gotten consideration from me, but clearly wasn't on Wilson's radar.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dr LBC said:

I don't believe that Ryan Wilson at CBS is any more clued-in than a slew of major media outlet draftniks, but I have to say I wouldn't be disappointed in our crop from his latest mock - structurally (i.e. positions taken and order taken in within our schedule of picks) for sure, I would nitpick certain players (which he has of similar value) at that same position over the ones he selected in a few instances, but that's a matter of personal choice.

- He has Meinerz going three picks later, who would be my preferred option, but I could also understand and wouldn't hate Leatherwood, just a matter a different kind of versatility and presents a different schedule moving forward.  In either instance, I feel like the pick would be slotting in as the immediate RG, though in the case of Leatherwood that's likely with an aim of kicking him out to tackle in the long-run (more likely as a successor to Havenstein, but he'd probably get, at minimum, practice looks at LT to see if he could hold there).  With Leatherwood, it's clear to see the fit and projection from Bama's offensive scheme to ours.

- This probably had a number of casual Rams fans scratching their heads, but I definitely don't hate it.  The fit is good and he is the last CB before a notable tier-drop at the position for me that was on the board.  The drop-off in his play from 2019 to 2020 was, very much in my opinion, due to being deployed far more in 2020 as a nickel rather than a boundary corner.  The later is far more his strength.  But he very much fits with what had seemed like the Staley plan to deploy two definitive CB's on the boundary and then use hybrid/multi-safety looks to really confuse the hell out of opposing offenses/QB's.

- Again, I'm perfectly fine with the position here.  And I don't hate Barnes, I'd probably have - given my druthers - opted for guys like either Cameron McGrone or Dylan Moses (who both went in the next 10 picks) - but that's more because of a lack of ceiling, and a lot of that stems from his build and his lack of plus-instincts to compensate for only-average speed at the position.  Barnes would be a fit and someone I'm confident would stick on the roster - I have doubts he'd be a heavy-rotation players year 1 or even challenge for those reps, barring injuries - just more a jack-all-trades/master-of-none type.

- I get it, and I feel like as long as Whitworth keeps coming back (and we have no 1st round pick to address the matter), we'll like continue to approach the LTotF spot like we have TE by taking Day 2 or 3 lottery tickets on toolsy guys that you hope to polish/coach-up and hope to catch a winner.  And, similar to several selections Snead has made in the past, I can see something like this happening, because if he hits he eliminates a hole that would need to be filled by a much more premium asset in the near-future ... which, in turn, gives him more flexibility in the present.

- I know some people are going to crap on this because "he's not a vertical threat," and yeah, I get it.  But this late anyone with the kind of speed to take the top off a defense on pure athletic gifts also comes with such severe flaws that they're typically not good for much more than decoy duty (and I don't see McVay implementing that).  Minus the lack of a legitimate second gear, Watkins (ironically, cousin of Sammy) projects well into Sean's scheme, albeit as a high-floor depth guy (which, given that Kupp is coming off another injury, isn't a bad thing to have).  Other options there would have been Smith-Marsette, who's potential never has really translated to the field in-game (and you're banking a lot on assuming Iowa just misused him to explain that), or Jonathan Adams Jr who, yes, turned in a better 40-time than Watkins, but I've yet to see the speed he clocked his 40 at show up in any of the (admittedly, limited) tape I've seen on him.

- As noted above, another lottery ticket at a position where we, understandably, don't have someone we see as a long-term solution at the position, so take a chance on tools and see if you can coach him up.  I mean, it's a 7th round pick and you hope that if he builds his strength it will improve his blocking (you really hope it, because he was getting destroyed in a number of Senior Bowl practice reps), but he's likely not much more than a move/depth TE who can give you some juice in special teams.  Maybe you take a flier on Matt Bushman (who went 2-3 picks later) to see if his burst, a little under a year removed from Achilles surgery, hasn't been sapped.  I'd have preferred Quinton Morris (who went just after both Gray and Bushman).  And one of my late round TE's, Pro Wells, would have gotten consideration from me, but clearly wasn't on Wilson's radar.

Wouldn't hate it but I question whether the Rams are that interested in an ILB. They haven't shown a great interest in drafting anybody at that position or signing a free agent. Add that to the fact that Howard had the job before he got hurt last year but he should be back this year and I honestly would be shocked if we draft one before the 6th round. 

I'm in the camp that CB is a major need. Williams might (he hasn't signed the tender yet and could be signed away though not sure it's really a possibility) and we lost Hill who played like 96% of defensive snaps. Unfortunately Long hasn't taken control of getting on the field so we don't know what we get from him. So basically we go into this year with Ramsey, Williams on 1 year deal, Long who hasn't shown much and a bunch of UDFA behind them. A highly drafted CB could challenge for the nickel DB or at least be the 6th since we're likely to see (assuming health) Rapp, Burgess and Fuller on the field most of the time (with Scott 4th on that list). CB to me is a top end need after Center/Guard. 

Also I'd like a WR before the 6th but that's just me since I'm not counting on anything from DJax.  

3 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

Also I'd like a WR before the 6th but that's just me since I'm not counting on anything from DJax.  

I get that, but even if we largely write off DJax - assuming Kupp is ready for start-of-season (with the buffer of however many weeks Jackson gives us till he's injured) - we really only need a WR4 - and despite the mid-round premium we've put on the position in the past, if following the Chargers for as long as I did taught me anything it's that there are always capable WR4's that will contribute as rookies that fall through to UDFA (it's largely a matter of them getting the necessary opportunities in camp with a capable-enough QB to show that they're sufficient for active roster detail).

I don't think that it's automatic that we draft in ILB; that I think is dependent on an extremely versatile LB that interviews well with us falling to use at one of our Day 2 picks or falling to Day 3 when we had a Day 2 grade on him.  But versatility, I believe is going to be the prioritized factor - not specifically a run-stopper or gap-plugger.  Not an "elite coverage" guy in the mold of Jones that Morris just finished working with in Atlanta.  I think versatile in the sense of an oversized safety or safety/LB hybrid type akin to a poor man's (if I'm being honest one the type that could fall to Day 2) Isaiah Simmons or Landon Collins type, or effectively a Drue Tranquill sort.  I need to watch some more cut-ups but I can see potential in Divine Deablo, possibly Talanoa Hufanga (though he's something of a project initially; more a utility defender to start who could grow into a versatile LB) - he has played some off-ball LB for USC but needs to add some more bulk to hold up in that capacity at the next level, and the limited bit of Christian Uphoff leads me to believe he could be a similar type of guy (I need to see more, but I've maxed out my resources, so if anyone has links to any actual cut-ups on him, send them my way).  There's also a lot to like about the projectability and potential of Qwynnterrio Cole from Alcorn State, but the guy is the definition of a 2-year project, so he's likely a mid/late Day 3 guy at-best whose likelihood of staying off the PS at least the first year will have to come through ST contributions.

Edited by Dr LBC

10 hours ago, Dr LBC said:

I'm not an Austin Watkins or Noah Gray guy. Jonathan Adams isn't a speed guy. He's a contested-catch guy. Tre Nixon is an underrated speed guy on Day 3. I love Jaylon Moore. Leatherwood would be a real nice pick. I agree with you on McGrone or Moses being better picks. We need athleticism at ILB.

17 hours ago, RamRod said:

You guys see The Rams draft headquarters? 

Can't blame for wanting to have a nice pad to draft from but kinda ironic one of the teams with the least amount of picks is doing the most.

Something tells me we will have more picks then when we started.

Gotta hammer that 3-4th round. Also, rumors swirling about Hekker to the Cowboys. I bet we get a 6th.

52 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Something tells me we will have more picks then when we started.

Gotta hammer that 3-4th round. Also, rumors swirling about Hekker to the Cowboys. I bet we get a 6th.

Is it just Twitter rumors or are anyone reporting that? With how bad our special teams struggled last year, I'd hope the team knows what it's doing by moving on from McQuaide and potentially Hekker. 

49 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

Is it just Twitter rumors or are anyone reporting that? With how bad our special teams struggled last year, I'd hope the team knows what it's doing by moving on from McQuaide and potentially Hekker. 

It's just twitter rumors. Rarely do we hear reports on actual trades and our FO does a great job of keeping actual rumors to a minimum.

Just connecting the dots its easy to make the connection to Dallas though. Bringing in a punter who started last season and the cap saving's we would see, the timing of it being a week before the draft...it just adds up in my eyes. Love Hekker though. Best Punter of the last decade IMO. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

It's just twitter rumors. Rarely do we hear reports on actual trades and our FO does a great job of keeping actual rumors to a minimum.

Just connecting the dots its easy to make the connection to Dallas though. Bringing in a punter who started last season and the cap saving's we would see, the timing of it being a week before the draft...it just adds up in my eyes. Love Hekker though. Best Punter of the last decade IMO. 

It certainly wouldn't shock me. The GZ fiasco last year didn't cost us a game but it was awful until Matt Gay came in. I just don't think we can be as bad as we were last year on special teams. Hopefully regardless of personnel, the coaching change is the biggest factor in that unit improving.

• Like 1