Does Matt Ryan and the Falcons get a Super Bowl, NOW??

Championshiporbust

He definitely deserves it.

• So does Brady next year.
  • And Mahomes
  • And Lamar
  • And King Henry
  • And Russell Wilson
  • And Rodgers
  • And The Bills fans
  • And the Browns fans.
  • And Ron Rivera
  • And Lions fans
  • And Chargers fans
  • And Kittle
  • And the fan in row 17 seat J drinking that Bud Light

I guess he will have to try to win a bunch of games, get a bye, and then win some playoff games.

• Like 2

I mean he had his team up 25 in the second half of a SB which will get you a win 999/1000 times. Then he would have been tied with Brees and Rodgers. Because of that miracle, you can pretend he was incapable of winning a championship. Obviously now the team is bad and he’ll never get another shot. I think the way fans construct these narratives that are totally devoid of context is pretty interesting. 

Edited by BroncoBruin
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, djw4bucs said:

If Julio can stay healthy and Ryan can go back to his MVP season, their defense will still be bad so im going for no

I hate this logic. If Dan Marino can go back to his 1984 season he can come out of retirement and win a Super Bowl.

Also, Matt Ryan hasn't won a Super Bowl because he can't protect 25 point leads and has a phobia of scoring when in the red zone.

I imagine they’re going to makeup some space by re-working some deals (Mathews, Jones, Jarrett?) and making the only easy cut they have (Fowler). Still don’t love the defense, the offensive line, the run game, and now they’ve got a new coach. All with not so much cap room. 

Can’t say I love their odds for this upcoming season, but you never know how things can shake out. 

10 hours ago, biggie. said:

I hate this logic. If Dan Marino can go back to his 1984 season he can come out of retirement and win a Super Bowl.

Also, Matt Ryan hasn't won a Super Bowl because he can't protect 25 point leads and has a phobia of scoring when in the red zone.

It seems like if a quarterback puts enough points on the board to build a 25 point lead, he has pretty much done his job.  If you are a championship team, shouldn't the defense have a part in this too?  It doesn't seem right to blame the quarterback when your defense gives up that big of a lead, unless the quarterback has a whole bunch of costly fumbles and/or interceptions.

Edited by Uncle Buck

14 hours ago, Championshiporbust said:

Drew Brees won a Super Bowl.

Tom Brady won a Super Bowl with the Buccaneers.

Why can't Matt Ryan and the Falcons?

So being in the same division raises this question?  How about "doesn't it make it that much harder" to win while playing in the same division as those other great players.  I mean, all four teams have made the SB since the Saints last won it.

Like Eminem said, “you only get one shot do not miss your chance to blow because opportunity comes once in a lifetime”.

Ryan had the best opportunity ever in the Superbowl. He was up huge and blew it. I blame the Dan Quinn for signing off on not running the ball. I blame Kyle Shannahan for not calling running plays to bleed the clock in the 2nd half. I blame Ryan for not audibling to run plays and just being smart with the ball to protect the huge lead. 

The Falcons blowing that big Superbowl lead is just as painful if not more than the Seahawks losing the Superbowl because Pete Carroll decided to throw the ball at the 1yd line instead of giving it to Marshall Lynch. In both situations neither team has even sniffed the Superbowl since and is constantly reminded of losing it in the fashions that they did. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, djw4bucs said:

If Julio can stay healthy and Ryan can go back to his MVP season, their defense will still be bad so im going for no

Defense does need to be at least average to win SBs in today's NFL. Sadly, the average defense in Matt Ryan's tenure with the Falcons has been a 28th-ranked defense through DVOA...

16 hours ago, Championshiporbust said:

Drew Brees won a Super Bowl.

Tom Brady won a Super Bowl with the Buccaneers.

Why can't Matt Ryan and the Falcons?

Defense. It's tough to win a SB

13 hours ago, Starless said:

The better question is, will the Falcons become good again while Ryan is still on the team?

I think they can. I think they could at least be a playoff team this year.

13 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

I mean he had his team up 25 in the second half of a SB which will get you a win 999/1000 times. Then he would have been tied with Brees and Rodgers. Because of that miracle, you can pretend he was incapable of winning a championship. Obviously now the team is bad and he’ll never get another shot. I think the way fans construct these narratives that are totally devoid of context is pretty interesting. 

I agree. It's not his fault they lost the SB.

13 hours ago, biggie. said:

Can't protect a 25 point lead and a phobia of scoring in the red zone? Have you seen how terrible the play designs have been in the red zone? Ryan will also get them down to the 4 or 5 yard line and then the coaching staff will call 3 straight runs. What's he supposed to do there? 

2 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

It seems like if a quarterback puts enough points on the board to build a 25 point lead, he has pretty much done his job.  If you are a championship team, shouldn't the defense have a part in this too?  It doesn't seem right to blame the quarterback when your defense gives up that big of a lead, unless the quarterback has a whole bunch of costly fumbles and/or interceptions.

Agreed. Ryan wasn't even really responsible for the fumble either. Devonta Freeman missed his block and Ryan was pulling back to throw.

18 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Like Eminem said, “you only get one shot do not miss your chance to blow because opportunity comes once in a lifetime”.

Ryan had the best opportunity ever in the Superbowl. He was up huge and blew it. I blame the Dan Quinn for signing off on not running the ball. I blame Kyle Shannahan for not calling running plays to bleed the clock in the 2nd half. I blame Ryan for not audibling to run plays and just being smart with the ball to protect the huge lead. 

The Falcons blowing that big Superbowl lead is just as painful if not more than the Seahawks losing the Superbowl because Pete Carroll decided to throw the ball at the 1yd line instead of giving it to Marshall Lynch. In both situations neither team has even sniffed the Superbowl since and is constantly reminded of losing it in the fashions that they did. 

Ryan was smart to protect the ball. The issue wasn't Ryan in the Super Bowl. He didn't miss the block that lead to the fumble. He didn't decide what plays to run, Shanahan did. He didn't drop an interception on the final drive that led to Edelman's "Catch" (he dropped it).

• Like 1