Does Matt Ryan and the Falcons get a Super Bowl, NOW??

Championshiporbust

16 hours ago, scar988 said:

Coordinator makes a big difference for him. Koetter has always been his worst pairing. And yet, his most common pairing.

That's fair. But then I think we're starting to get into territory where so many things have to be right for Ryan to get a SB. Top 10ish defense. Decent running game. Better OL. Now needs a better OC. And so on.

In any event, I think the premise of the thread is unfair anyway, as Ryan should have won the SB in 2016, and did virtually everything possible that year in the RS and PO to do it.

Edited by childofpudding

26 minutes ago, childofpudding said:

That's fair. But then I think we're starting to get into territory where so many things have to be right for Ryan to get a SB. Top 10ish defense. Decent running game. Better OL. Now needs a better OC. And so on.

In any event, I think the premise of the thread is unfair anyway, as Ryan should have won the SB in 2016, and did virtually everything possible that year in the RS and PO to do it.

Koetter is a negative influence coordinator though. When he has an average coordinator like Sarkisian or a great one like Shanahan, he has much better years. The biggest thing he needs right is defense though. His average defense by DVOA is 28th ranked. That's never gonna be good enough to win it all. Even in 2016, it was like 20th ranked. 

And yes, that year, the Falcons should have won. Even in the SB, he did everything needed to win. They just... well, Falconed it up.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2021 at 10:44 AM, Uncle Buck said:

It seems like if a quarterback puts enough points on the board to build a 25 point lead, he has pretty much done his job.  If you are a championship team, shouldn't the defense have a part in this too?  It doesn't seem right to blame the quarterback when your defense gives up that big of a lead, unless the quarterback has a whole bunch of costly fumbles and/or interceptions.

The highest QB rating ever in a SB and only missing 5 or so passes all game and having your team up 25 points isn't enough it seems.  It's 100% all on Ryan he has to play a PERFECT GAME no missed throws ever.   Lets not forget he actually put them back in FG range after that Julio catch to go up 2 scores and even then after the O-line gave up that sack after that catch.  Ryan actually got them back in FG range again on the next play hitting Sanu but once again the O-line screwed up putting a DE in a chokehold.  Then making it 3rd and almost 30+  all considering they never should have been passing the ball int he 1st damn place that entire 4th quarter.  When we only ran it 3 times up by 25 from then on to keep the clock going.     To me that loss is on 3 parties  The O-line, Freeman, and the biggest culprit the coaches mostly Shannahan and Quinn not for stopping kyles dumb play calls up 25.   The defense gets a bad wrap as well but they got screwed alot in that game by the offense having to defend 99 plays with very little rest bc of the lack of kyle not running it. Plus a few bad ref calls but that always happens to both teams so thats not an excuse but 2 or 3 of them did happen on 3rd downs we had stops on which kept the drive going for more plays for tem to be on the field that ended up being TD's instead of stops.    Buck im glad you see that game for what it really is and stand up for the right players who don't deserve the flak or blame.  Everyone seems to bust on Ryan for choking but if you look at his numbers he has the #1 or 2 most comeback wins in the nfl since he came into the league and is actually one of the best QB's in the league in the playoffs during his time in the nfl.  All everyone remembers is his 1st few years in the league where they crap the bed when he was younger.  But since 2012 he has been top tier in the playoffs.

• Like 3

I couldn't believe how early they were snapping the ball throughout the second half, as if nothing could possibly go wrong. Clock running and they were snapping at 6, 8, 12, 14 regularly. I think at least once it was 18 or higher. 

Nobody was going to complain if they bled the clock and nearly choked but hung on. Instead they can deal with the what-ifs forever. As soon as that game ended I never gave another thought to Atlanta contending again under that regime. I've bet sports long enough to understand how devastating it is. You stick those teams on the bet-against list immediately.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Split the Sticks said:

how does this happen?

When I think back to that SB team, I saw a damm good looking, young defense. WHAT HAPPENED??

Vic Beasley got a big head. 
Keanu Neal suffered back to back season ending injuries. 
Ricardo Allen suffered a season ender after 2017 and regressed hard. 
DeVondre Campbell Plateaued

Dwight Freeney moved on

Tyson Jackson, Jonathan Babineaux and Paul Worrilow all basically got cut  

Jalen Collins and RaShede Hageman did dumb stuff off the field and we’re subsequently cut.

Dan Quinn never evolved his defense from year to year and could never develop a true pass rusher on his own despite spending two first round picks on them  

• Like 1