Mock Offseason v2.

KimuraGod

5 minutes ago, xrade said:

On the surface they would help. I like the Lawson move, but two older players that have already began the downside of their careers?  Nope.  They are nothing more than 1 year rentals but chances are they will want a multiyear deal. I want youth. I think Saleh and JD also. Old vets is a Tanny thing and that did not work out. If all we needed was a CB on D, sure go for Sherman. Same with Wright. But we need more. Since I have no delusions about playoffs next year, build this team with talent and youth on both sides of the ball and compete in 2022. This mock only delays playoffs by another year because while our O will be OK, the D will suck and then we will have to draft D heavy in 2022. Plus I do not believe JD and Saleh will ignore D like this suggests. 

So you’d rather not have areas on offense addressed starter wise Bc you’d rather draft picks that probably won’t start addressed on defense. When you can have legit starters on defense to hold it down for a year or 2 AND get starters on offense

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

So you’d rather not have areas on offense addressed starter wise Bc you’d rather draft picks that probably won’t start addressed on defense. When you can have legit starters on defense to hold it down for a year or 2 AND get starters on offense

Waddle will not be a starter based on this mock and the idea of drafting a #4 in the first round when we could draft an actual D starter does not make sense to me. I already mentioned this so I am not sure why you are concluding I don’t want starters. In fact it is for that very reason you mentioned that I don’t want Waddle so I pose the same question to you. It is all moot of course since we are not getting Indy’s FRP. But I want a starter on D that we draft to fill one of our many needs before a #4 WR or a TE and RB. I also think we will sign a young RB and TE in FA so drafting those two positions in the first and second again makes no sense when we could draft legit D starters.

To be honest, I am not sure what we will do at 23 if the top three CB’s are off the board. Maybe trade down? If not, the best value would be iOL or possibly a 3-4 DE like Basham if we get a number 1 WR in FA. If we don’t, I would not mind a WR at 23. Since I know nothing about the OLB’s coming out maybe we get one at 23 but I am not sure if the value will be there. 

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

It’s about getting starters for me. Or at least guys that will play. For example... we resign Poole and let’s say grab a vet CB like Sherman or Verrett from SF. If we draft Horn... he’s like 4th on the depth chart. Yes he potentially could start down the road. T he’s getting limited snaps year 1 and possibly even year 2. Where there’s several other positions if we draft. That guy starts year 1. This is also why I’m not high on edge in this draft either. I don’t see any edge out starting a FA we bring in and Zuniga or Huff. He’d be a backup rotational guy.

Where let’s be real... we draft a RB, WR, TE, OG in these top rounds.... these guys are starting for us.

Yeah starters are great but this isn't a 1 year rebuild especially if we don't land Watson.  If we do land Sherman say then grabbing Horn if he's there is not a bad thing.

I wouldn't limit myself to need.  I think we need long term answers at key positions like pass rusher, CB, WR, OL, QB etc.  I'd focus on those positions to secure long term building blocks not just worry about plug and play vets expecting us to make a playoff run.  We aren't there.

Good news is with this offseason this is the year to have cap space.  The list of FAs that are going to hit the market after these teams start making cuts is going to be bonkers.  We are going to have our pick of tons of good players.

I was listening to some of the names on the chopping block and it's great for us given our position.  

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

Good news is with this offseason this is the year to have cap space.  The list of FAs that are going to hit the market after these teams start making cuts is going to be bonkers.  We are going to have our pick of tons of good players

The problem as I see it, is that good, young CB and EDGE FA’s are not plentiful. At least not yet. To be honest I don’t know of any CB we sign that could be considered a long term solution. Those may be positions we have to draft which is why I suspect a CB in round 2 may be a target unless one of the top 3 falls to 23. There may be a good EDGE or 2 but they will be very costly. This why I think WR, iOL, TE and RB will be addressed in FA. There are a few of them. Not sure about OLB. 

3 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Yeah starters are great but this isn't a 1 year rebuild especially if we don't land Watson.  If we do land Sherman say then grabbing Horn if he's there is not a bad thing.

I wouldn't limit myself to need.  I think we need long term answers at key positions like pass rusher, CB, WR, OL, QB etc.  I'd focus on those positions to secure long term building blocks not just worry about plug and play vets expecting us to make a playoff run.  We aren't there.

Good news is with this offseason this is the year to have cap space.  The list of FAs that are going to hit the market after these teams start making cuts is going to be bonkers.  We are going to have our pick of tons of good players.

I was listening to some of the names on the chopping block and it's great for us given our position.  

Mike Williams being rumored as a guy to maybe be cut. High upside guy like Davis

Having a vet CB isn’t bad for us though. A guy like Sherman or Verrett helps more than it seems. A Cb group like ours that’s young... to just add more youth, might not be the best. Get a vet in there to teach Hall, Austin, etc. Im A huge Horn fan. That’s why I don’t see him Making it to 23. I just think there’s other directions we should maybe go there if we go vets at CB

5 minutes ago, xrade said:

Mike Williams? Forgive my ignorance but who is that?

Clemson WR for LAC. Struggled with injury I think this last year and if Allen wasn’t there would be a #1 for LAC. Very similar type FA as Davis. Young, high upside. But do Carey a tad of risk Bc they’re not steady in their careers To date.

Williams is very intriguing if we get Watson. They played together at Clemson 

7 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Clemson WR for LAC. Struggled with injury I think this last year and if Allen wasn’t there would be a #1 for LAC. Very similar type FA as Davis. Young, high upside. But do Carey a tad of risk Bc they’re not steady in their careers To date.

Williams is very intriguing if we get Watson. They played together at Clemson 

Ah. That Williams. I had him on my Dynasty team for a couple of years. Traded him last offseason because I got tired of waiting for him. Is he really that much of an upgrade to Perriman?  I’ve been waiting for him to breakout and he never has. He did have injuries in 2019 and he cleared 1000 yds in 2018 (1001). He would be a useful #4 but that’s it. Like Davis, he may need a change of scenery but I would not count on him if we are looking for a high-end starter. 

On 2/17/2021 at 1:01 PM, xrade said:

Let’s not forget our D sucked just as much as the O. We have a defensive minded HC wanting to switch to a new defensive philosophy. We will need 2 OLB and a LEO. We will still need Edge and at least one starting caliber CB. You addressed CB with an old guy on the downside. OK, I can buy that for a year with the added benefit of being experienced in that D. You addressed OLB with another old guy which does not fit with Saleh’s statement of getting faster on D. You did address EDGE with Lawson. I like him. That’s it. You have us drafting a WR to be a future starter. Waste of a pick. You traded up for TE when there are several in FA like Jonnu Smith.  Do you really believe JD and Saleh would ignore the D like this?  I can’t see it. 

Actually our secondary was terrible, the run defense was rated 12th in the league. But when you have little or no pass rush the QB can set up a BBQ station and wait for his receivers to get open.

2 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

I’d rather Davis over Williams, I’d be good with us signing him but I feel like his game is similar to Mims which is like us to become more diverse at WR

I think Davis will want a 3/4 year deal. Probs $8-10m a year if not more.  

I really want Waddle so in this scenario I wanted another vet on a one year deal who can start on the outside opposite Mims and introduce Waddle slowly rather than pin all our hopes on him to start right out the gate.  

13 minutes ago, xenajets said:

I think Davis will want a 3/4 year deal. Probs $8-10m a year if not more.  

I really want Waddle so in this scenario I wanted another vet on a one year deal who can start on the outside opposite Mims and introduce Waddle slowly rather than pin all our hopes on him to start right out the gate.  

I was just thinking  about Waddle yesterday what is the chance he slips to 23 when we pick again ?

1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

I was just thinking  about Waddle yesterday what is the chance he slips to 23 when we pick again ?

Well if we use last year for an example on receivers then I think we have a chance. Remember everyone thinking maybe 2 or 3 receivers would be gone by pick #11 but the top 3 didn’t go until by #17. So maybe we’d need to trade up a little. 

Watching Waddles highlights just makes me think iv never in my lifetime seen us have a talent like that. Just never seem to get someone as talented as him. Would love to go get some dynamic playmakers.