Mock Offseason v2.

KimuraGod

17 hours ago, xrade said:

Rush D was ranked 12. Ok middle of the pack. Pass yard per game - 29, pass TD’s per game - 28, pass completion % - 30. Not middle of the pack. Yes, having a more competent O to sustain drives would help. But having more talented players, especially, for our pass D will help even more. Why do you keep glossing  over this hard fact?  I mentioned this to you once before. 

I'm with @Bobby816 on this one.  Give me an offense that scares people.  With minor tweaks here or there on defense and a better offense the D will be competent enough.  You want to plug more hols on the D in 2022 after we have a real NFL offense I'm down but until we can out an offense on the field we shouldn't be worry about trying to field a top 10 defense.

52 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

I'm with @Bobby816 on this one.  Give me an offense that scares people.  With minor tweaks here or there on defense and a better offense the D will be competent enough.  You want to plug more hols on the D in 2022 after we have a real NFL offense I'm down but until we can out an offense on the field we shouldn't be worry about trying to field a top 10 defense.

Again, do you really believe JD will go this O heavy in FA and the draft?  I believe he will take a more balanced approach and try to fill as many holes on O and D with starters before getting backups and future starters.

Whoever said a top 10 D?  How about just competent? 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, xrade said:

Again, do you really believe JD will go this O heavy in FA and the draft?  I believe he will take a more balanced approach and try to fill as many holes on O and D with starters before getting backups and future starters.

We have a competent D right now if we have an offense that keeps them off the field. Yes we could still use an Edge and a CB. But the offense needs to be where as I said about 75% of our resources need to be spent. That’s FA money after resigning guys and draft picks 

The Jets D really wasn't that bad, and rather good against the run rated 12th, and that isn't chopped liver!

The pass defense was bad, but there are things to take into consideration, like how long the defense was on the field.

Too many 3 and outs and your defense gets fatigued. Teams with a good offense are able to give the D time to recoup.

That is a direct result of an anemic offense. As for the offense, for the most part 2020's team had issues physically on the OL, which at any one time of the year had players rotating in and out.

The WR's were so depleted that undrafted FA were relied upon after a rash of injuries to the WR corps. The only constant was Crowder.

The Rb's were lead by a future HOF, but as a whole underwhelming.

We had a headache in Adams, an over the hill RB in Bell, and a ILB who hasn't played in 2 years after signing a monster contract.

Bell and Adams are both gone, as is/was the coach and I'm not sure if Mosley will even play another down for the Jets.

The offensive line was only marginally better than last years group with the exception of Becton. 

The Jets still have much work to do to shore up the OL regardless of who is QB'ing the team.

Clearly from an injury standpoint the Jets were decimated early on, and clearly it was the offensive side of the ball.

We desperately need a blue chip WR, RB, OG, 2 of which we can address in FA, WR/OG.

We can address RB (a good one) either in the bottom half of the 1st round or round 2.

N.Harris is high on my list of RB, but if Collins is an option at 23 I go with Collins at OLB.

Now here is the kicker, and I can see it happening. Houston screws everything up this year, and holds on to Watson.

The Jets use all their draft capitol this year and shore up the team.

In this scenario the Jets trade down with Atlanta, pick up a few more picks 2nd rounder this year and 3rd rounder and another 3rd rounder next year.

At 4 Carolina wants to trade up from 8 the Jets trade down again, picking up 2 picks 2021 1st rounder and 2nd rounder and a 2nd and 3rd rounder in 2022.

The Jets at 8 pick up Pitts TE, and RB N.Harris with the 23rd pick, and with the first of their 2nd rounders grab a G/C

The Jets set themselves up for 2022 draft with a boatload of talent, Houston decides to trade with the Jets.

The Jets have a formidable line, a killer TE and blue chip FA WR and blue chip OL and now they are ready to add a top 5 qb in Watson.

Ahhhhh, to dream!

On 2/18/2021 at 8:31 AM, xrade said:

Add a pass rusher and a CB and resign Poole and Maye and we'd be fine.  

10 hours ago, xrade said:

Ok, who?  What about OLB?  

I really want Horn at 23 actually and pass rusher I'd like Hendrickson or Okwara.  Both would be good fits.  I'd like to bring in a vet CB option for depth.  Not sure if Sherman would come to be a rotational piece or if he wants a starting job but he would be ideal or see if any other vet gets released.

We'll be in nickel more often than not so not breaking the bank on an OLB at least not this year.

We'll make more moves on defense.  I expect Neal at SS and probably a WILL 43 LB but none of those guys are going to break the bank.

I think or defense if we add say Horn, Neal, and say Hendrickson while brining back Poole and Maye would be more than good enough.  We'll probably use slightly less than half of the cap space on D and number 23 on Horn to get there.  It's not completely ignoring the defense but slightly favoring the offense to make sure whoever we draft at 2 is set up to succeed.

I'm in for a Thuney of course.  I like Corey Davis at WR, I think we use 34 on another IOL that starts day 1 and add another WR and RB in the mid rounds.

19 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

I really want Horn at 23 actually and pass rusher I'd like Hendrickson or Okwara.  Both would be good fits.  I'd like to bring in a vet CB option for depth.  Not sure if Sherman would come to be a rotational piece or if he wants a starting job but he would be ideal or see if any other vet gets released.

We'll be in nickel more often than not so not breaking the bank on an OLB at least not this year.

We'll make more moves on defense.  I expect Neal at SS and probably a WILL 43 LB but none of those guys are going to break the bank.

I think or defense if we add say Horn, Neal, and say Hendrickson while brining back Poole and Maye would be more than good enough.  We'll probably use slightly less than half of the cap space on D and number 23 on Horn to get there.  It's not completely ignoring the defense but slightly favoring the offense to make sure whoever we draft at 2 is set up to succeed.

I'm in for a Thuney of course.  I like Corey Davis at WR, I think we use 34 on another IOL that starts day 1 and add another WR and RB in the mid rounds.

I think Horn making it to 23 is optimistic. But you never know

22 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

I really want Horn at 23 actually and pass rusher I'd like Hendrickson or Okwara.  Both would be good fits.  I'd like to bring in a vet CB option for depth

I would love this, but according to this mock draft, we don’t draft D until the 3rd round and in FA it is just Lawson and a couple of old guys. This is what the discussion was about. It was too heavy on O and ignoring D which JD won’t do IMO. If we get Horn at 23 (though I doubt he will be there) an EDGE/DE in FA and at least 1 OLB that can start, our D would also be on the road to recovery. You touched on that which is what I agree with. Supporters of this mock do not agree with addressing D in any meaningful way.

1 hour ago, xrade said:

I would love this, but according to this mock draft, we don’t draft D until the 3rd round and in FA it is just Lawson and a couple of old guys. This is what the discussion was about. It was too heavy on O and ignoring D which JD won’t do IMO. If we get Horn at 23 (though I doubt he will be there) an EDGE/DE in FA and at least 1 OLB that can start, our D would also be on the road to recovery. You touched on that which is what I agree with. Supporters of this mock do not agree with addressing D in any meaningful way.

I want one big FA and one premium pick on D theoretically top 2 rounds.  The rest would be value signings.  Whatever those are it should mostly likely be a pass rusher and a CB.  After that ILB, S, WILL whatever other positions they want to address should be cheap vets or prove it value contracts.  I'm offense first

The rest should be all offense either draft or FA.  2 WRs, 2 IOL, RB, TE depth, QB, and maybe more.

39 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

I want one big FA and one premium pick on D theoretically top 2 rounds.  The rest would be value signings.  Whatever those are it should mostly likely be a pass rusher and a CB.  After that ILB, S, WILL whatever other positions they want to address should be cheap vets or prove it value contracts.  I'm offense first

The rest should be all offense either draft or FA.  2 WRs, 2 IOL, RB, TE depth, QB, and maybe more.

It’s about getting starters for me. Or at least guys that will play. For example... we resign Poole and let’s say grab a vet CB like Sherman or Verrett from SF. If we draft Horn... he’s like 4th on the depth chart. Yes he potentially could start down the road. T he’s getting limited snaps year 1 and possibly even year 2. Where there’s several other positions if we draft. That guy starts year 1. This is also why I’m not high on edge in this draft either. I don’t see any edge out starting a FA we bring in and Zuniga or Huff. He’d be a backup rotational guy.

Where let’s be real... we draft a RB, WR, TE, OG in these top rounds.... these guys are starting for us.

3 hours ago, xrade said:

Too heavy in your opinion but think of it like this...we’ve used so many picks on defense over the years that we need to focus on this disastrous offense. 

We’ve hired a defensive head coach, will get our star linebacker back and have lots of promising youth (Q, Foley, Davis, Hall, JFM, Bless, Zuniga, Cash) so adding in some vets for now on defense is probs our best bet. 

Edited by xenajets

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

So Lawson, Sherman and Wright don’t help this defense?!?!

On the surface they would help. I like the Lawson move, but two older players that have already began the downside of their careers?  Nope.  They are nothing more than 1 year rentals but chances are they will want a multiyear deal. I want youth. I think Saleh and JD also. Old vets is a Tanny thing and that did not work out. If all we needed was a CB on D, sure go for Sherman. Same with Wright. But we need more. Since I have no delusions about playoffs next year, build this team with talent and youth on both sides of the ball and compete in 2022. This mock only delays playoffs by another year because while our O will be OK, the D will suck and then we will have to draft D heavy in 2022. Plus I do not believe JD and Saleh will ignore D like this suggests.