Are QBs “wanting out” the new “diva WR tears apart the locker room”?

ThatJaxxenGuy

3 hours ago, lancerman said:

Brady was taking pay cuts before he met his wife. See Brady understands that if you win a lot, you will never worry about money because everyone and their mother will want to do business with you. 

I just took a quick look. Between 2001-2008 (before Brady married Gisele), Brady's cap hit was $4.3m lower than Manning's on average. From 2009-2015, it was $4.4m lower.

Its funny that people think Brady taking a pay cut because he married Gisele. As much as I hate the guy just cause he owned my team for so many years he did what was best for the team just so he can be in situations to be great. I think him having some say predicated on takins a bit of a pay cut is rightfully deserved and is a different situation that some of the QBs that are wanting more say these days. Lets be real when a player is making 100+  million in 5 years that is  more then enough to live a healthy life for your family and your child's family. So to say I will play for 20-30 mil a year rather then 35 or 40 mil a year to get 1-2 better play makers or 1-2 better olineman it is a team move and not a selfish aspect in any way.  Now if the team goes around and does not make the moves after you take the cut then you have every right to be disgruntled. With Brady he was able to do that and they got him the pieces at times and look what happened he invested that money to have an ability to extend his career and probably make more money at the end of it then guys that were one and done on these deals. That is why I think Brady is in a different category on things compared to other teams because he was willing to make the sacrifice while other qbs who are complaining at the moment are making top dollar at the position. If you take the top money at the position without giving up anything then I think players have no right to say they want this or that. To me it makes it a selfish move to take the 35 mil instead of the 25-30 mil a year on a 5 year deal (which is totally fine and acceptable) but do not expect to say I want this guy as HC or this guy as GM or this guy as my wr or protecting me or being on def. etc. you chose the money over being able to provide the team the flexibility to help you out so why should they think your views matter? You are eating 20-25% of the cap so you will be getting less talent around you as they now have to come up with ways to fill the 53 man roster with now 52 players at 75-80% of the cap. 

4 hours ago, scar988 said:

Brady was taking pay cuts because of all the ridiculous endorsement deals he had before he met his wife is your argument? 

He met Giselle in 2006. Right after he dumped Bridget Moynihan... The other model girlfriend he had who was also an actress and millionaire in her own right. Who also had more money than he did at the time. And his 2005 extension was still in the top 5 salaries for a QB. It wasn't til around 2010 that he started taking these true "pay cuts".

Going from Bridget to Giselle was a downgrade, IMO.

Wentz is the only real example to me. Brady, Russell, and Deshaun all had/have varying degrees of legitimate complaints in their situations. Wentz however played statistically the worst football of any starting QB last season and was then benched.

Wentz was not a diva. His team got him killed for 2 years and they benched him. Him wanting to leave was not some pouty whim.

They won a Super Bowl with an insane duct tape job in 2017 and Foles going berserk.

For Wentz's 68 games as an Eagles QB his best WR was Alshon Jeffery.

• Jeffery missed about 30 games in 4 years and averaged 778 yards and 7 TDs per 16 games played.

Wentz's top 3 WRs in 2016 :  Jordan Matthews, Nelson Agholor, Doriel Green-Beckham

Wentz's top 3 WRs in 2017:  Alshon Jeffery, Agholor, Torrey Smith

Wentz's top 3 WRs in 2018:  Jeffery, Agholor, Matthews

Wentz's top 3 WRs in 2019:  Jeffrey, Agholor, Greg Ward

Wentz's top 3 WRs in 2020:  Travis Fulgham, Ward, Jalen Raegor

These are bottom 8 WR units every year. (Bottom 4 in 2016 and 2020.)

He got production out of them in 2017 because he bought time in the backfield for some amazing plays.

• Remember the plays vs DC in week 1 and vs Seattle?

His best protector was Lane Johnson.

• Johnson missed 25 games.

Just give Wentz a Lane Johnson protecting one side of the line and he's 28-18-1

• Without him he's 7-14 while running for his life.
  • How do you expect the Colts line to protect him? Better or worse than Philly?

Ertz is a decent 2nd tier TE with about 924 and 6.2 per 16 with 10 games missed

• Those catches were at 10.3 per catch so he was a safety valve, not really a playmaker.
  • Its possible that Wentz relied on him too much but can you blame him with those WRs?
  • Goedert was raw in year 1 (they benched him for week 2), he was inconsistent in year 2 (See the drop vs Detroit), and he was banged up in year 3.
    • The guy has talent, but Wentz did not really get to rely on him.

I don't love the guy ( I don't dislike him either) but it was time to move on and most people knew it.

The Colts got a steal.

He's not Tom Brady but he's a top 10-16 range QB with upside for better from time to time.

• Like 2

In 5 years his only 1000+ receiver was Ertz in 2018 and it was at 10.0 per catch.

• It was not a Wentz thing because Ertz was like 8.5 per catch in the 5 Foles games.(10.7 with Wentz)

Stafford had 5 receivers with 1000+ in the last 5 years. (none this year but 2 in 2017)

• He had Calvin Johnson before that. (2 with 1000+ in 2014)
    • None Stafford's rookie year as Megatron had 984 yards.

Its cool how some players get all the excuses and others just suck.

Edited by SkippyX
  • Like 1

On 2/17/2021 at 12:40 PM, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

Brady famously wanted more weapons on the Pats and became disgruntled when they cut Brown. I’m willing to give Brady a pass because he’s winning Super Bowls at the rate he is, but I think other QBs see how he pulled in guys in Tampa and think they deserve the same say.

LOL at mixing Brady with those other guys. Do you realize that Brady's contract ended? He was a free agent! Any FA QB can go anywhere they want. Brady did what Peyton did at the end of their respective careers. It's not comparable at all.

Brady stayed 20 years with his team. 20 effing years taking pay cuts after pay cuts to help the coach build the defenses. 20 years allowing his HC to humiliate him in front of his peers in order to help him coach the rest of his teammates. He won 6 rings with that team and his coach/GM still wanted to trade him before his last one, then his GM  didn't want to give TB a 2-years contract because he thought Brady was done and only then Tom put his house for sale and left when he became a FA.

Brady only wanted to feel respected, appreciated. He wanted gratitude and his GM's ego brought the idea he was a god that could win with any QB and forced Brady out.

Oh, and TB didn't want "more weapons" he wanted ANY WEAPON. After 20 years of taking pay cuts his GM couldn't find a single non-garbage or OOP receiver for Brady to throw the ball to.

Btw, my biggest problem with this narrative is because I hate what happened in the NBA it validates those diva QBs to force their way out and build super teams because Brady supposedly did the same. A. Brady didn't force his way out, as stated above and B. TB was a 7-9 team with the worst winning percentage in all 4 major sports. 15 years removed from their last playoff win and the guys he "brought" with him were:

Fournette - A sub 4.0ypc RB who cleared waivers. Any NFL team could have had him for one year at 4m and everyone passed on him.

A.B - A great OOP receiver that no one wanted. Apparently Seahawks had an interest but other than that no one showed not even interest. Any team in the NFL could have had him for cheap, including Brady's former team, by giving him 2 or 3 years.

Gronk - Out of prime TE who came out of retirement and cost a 4th round pick. Gronk wasn't shopped around but I doubt after his last season and doing WWE for a year many teams would be willing to give up a 4th for him.

Tampa Bay accumulated a ton of young talents thru DRAFT and signed great veterans via FA years before Brady went there. Tom had the football IQ to recognize that and he bet on himself to turn the franchise around with the talent they already had.

Sorry for the long rant. I stopped watching NBA because of that so I guess had some things to say lol.

• Like 2

On 2/17/2021 at 11:10 AM, PFM18 said:

And that's the key. Brady went to Tampa, got what he wanted which led to another Superbowl. 

Other QB's are looking at what Brady did and saying "I want input into how the team does things to achieve the same success" or they'll make noises about moving to another team to either force the current team to acquiesce to their demands or actually move on. 

Franchise QB's, especially top tier talent, are realising how much they are worth in terms of achieving success, and thus will start to make more noise in order to achieve it.  

But Brady didn't leave until his contract was up and walked away from NE to a greener pasture.  The situation in Houston is different.  DeShaun Watson is still under contract and wants out but the Texans are not eager to oblige.   

On 2/17/2021 at 9:41 PM, ET80 said:

Raquel Welch in that poster - whoo buddy. 

015386bf38fef519d263c39f1dd33901.jpg

Talk about surviving the test of time. No Insta filters required, that's pure cut HOT LAVA right there. 

You know nothing, Jon Snow.

I've seen recent photos of her at close to 80 and she still is stunning!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

But does Russ really have anyone to blame for his constant turning the ball over this season?

He is trying to be in charge of the OC hire but It’s not like his play on the field is flawless right now and being stymied by  coaching, he flat out stunk for a lot of this season.

When you are literally running for your life out there (he was sacked 47 times last year) I don't blame him for being unhappy.  It is a minor miracle he can do what he does.

2 hours ago, LaFellSBXLIXMVP said:

LOL at mixing Brady with those other guys. Do you realize that Brady's contract ended? He was a free agent! Any FA QB can go anywhere they want. Brady did what Peyton did at the end of their respective careers. It's not comparable at all.

Brady stayed 20 years with his team. 20 effing years taking pay cuts after pay cuts to help the coach build the defenses. 20 years allowing his HC to humiliate him in front of his peers in order to help him coach the rest of his teammates. He won 6 rings with that team and his coach/GM still wanted to trade him before his last one, then his GM  didn't want to give TB a 2-years contract because he thought Brady was done and only then Tom put his house for sale and left when he became a FA.

Brady only wanted to feel respected, appreciated. He wanted gratitude and his GM's ego brought the idea he was a god that could win with any QB and forced Brady out.

Oh, and TB didn't want "more weapons" he wanted ANY WEAPON. After 20 years of taking pay cuts his GM couldn't find a single non-garbage or OOP receiver for Brady to throw the ball to.

Btw, my biggest problem with this narrative is because I hate what happened in the NBA it validates those diva QBs to force their way out and build super teams because Brady supposedly did the same. A. Brady didn't force his way out, as stated above and B. TB was a 7-9 team with the worst winning percentage in all 4 major sports. 15 years removed from their last playoff win and the guys he "brought" with him were:

Fournette - A sub 4.0ypc RB who cleared waivers. Any NFL team could have had him for one year at 4m and everyone passed on him.

A.B - A great OOP receiver that no one wanted. Apparently Seahawks had an interest but other than that no one showed not even interest. Any team in the NFL could have had him for cheap, including Brady's former team, by giving him 2 or 3 years.

Gronk - Out of prime TE who came out of retirement and cost a 4th round pick. Gronk wasn't shopped around but I doubt after his last season and doing WWE for a year many teams would be willing to give up a 4th for him.

Tampa Bay accumulated a ton of young talents thru DRAFT and signed great veterans via FA years before Brady went there. Tom had the football IQ to recognize that and he bet on himself to turn the franchise around with the talent they already had.

Sorry for the long rant. I stopped watching NBA because of that so I guess had some things to say lol.

No worries, I mainly included Brady because I think he’s the exception to the rule where if guys want what Brady’s got there’s a way to go yet