• Pita Taumoepeanu
    • Other (Let us know in a reply!)
  2. 2. Who won't make the 2017 49ers?

• Arik Armstead
    • Elvis Dumervil
    • Aaron Lynch
    • Pita Taumoepeanu
    • All four will make the roster

Another intriguing battle that is taking place this training camp will be for the starting LEO role, which will essentially play an important pass-rushing role on the team. Here are the competitors:

Arik Armstead:

JV_102215_49ers_SEAHAWKS+227

Armstead was the team's first round pick in 2015, and despite our forum mostly disapproving, he has actually played very well when on the field. This has been especially true in pass-rushing situations as he has been able to put great pressure on the quarterback. However, with Solomon Thomas being available at #3, the 49ers went and took their top player on the board and that puts Armstead in a tricky situation. Throughout the offseason, he has been attempting to make the switch to the LEO position, which is surprising given his size that would appear to make him a much better fit inside (where he'd only be a backup to Bucker and likely Thomas). At 4.5 sacks, he has the lowest production of any of the three vets. 

Elvis Dumervil 

20130906__elvis-dumervil-ravens-broncos-

Dumervil was a late offseason pickup coming off of his least productive year of his career. Prior to 2016, Dumervil never had fewer than 5 sacks in a season. Last year he was only able to make 3, albeit in only 8 games. That said, the 5x Pro Bowler is easily the best pass-rusher (historically) that the 49ers have had in some time and he was clearly brought in for competition at this very position. If he recovers from injury, he could be one of the bigger pass-rushing threats the 49ers have had since Aldon Smith's 3 years of brilliance. Perhaps his biggest competitor at this point is father time. 

Aaron Lynch

091814-askaaron-thumb.jpg

Lynch is essentially the former starter at the position, but after two solid (if unspectacular) seasons rushing the passer, his play noticeably tailed off in 2016. Suspension and injuries considerably shortened his season to only 7 games, but his 1.5 sacks would still be off his pace of the previous two years. Given that one of his largest concerns is his work ethic, it is a real question as to whether or not he'll be able to win a spot on the team, let alone the starting LEO job. However, if Lynch regains his form in 2014 and 2015, the starting spot could be his by virtue of Armstead not panning out at the position and Dumervil not returning to previous form. In either case, a solid preseason could be needed to give him a rotational role on the team.

Pita Taumoepenu

news-560x315-106880-1498505990.jpg

Normally, I would never give much consideration to a sixth round pick with only 13 career sacks in college becoming a starter in his first training camp, and make no mistake about it - I feel Taumopenu is the least likely guy to win the spot. However, the perfect preseason storm could lead Pita to not only see some significant playing time this season, but possibly open as the season's starter. The other three players in this competition all have some serious question marks and it is very realistic that none of them earn the starting spot. Enter Taumopenu. The rookie is the only pass-rusher outside of Dumervil brought to the team by the current regime, so he could be given more playing time with a solid showing this camp and preseason. 

Those are easily the four most likely players to win the spot, but a few others might factor into the competition. Some believe Solomon Thomas could play at the wide end spot, and that might allow Armstead to move inside and put the best players on the field at once. Tank Carradine certainly needs to prove he is worthy of sticking around, and this might be one spot where he can prove his worth. Noble Nwachukwu had a lot of success rushing the passer in 2015, but his production took a dip this past season. He would likely be a better fit inside, but he might be the only other player on the team even in the running. 

So what do you think - who takes the job? Is there anyone else to watch out for?

Hard to say who's going to end up as our "starting" leo. I expect we end up with a rotation that matches up against offensive packages based on their personnel. AA I think will be our 1st down/run game/short yardage LEO. The rest of the rotation is where the camp battle is at. I've got a feeling Dumervil and Pita have bigger roles than Lynch who I can even see getting work at the Big End spot in passing downs. 

AA - Buckner - Mitchell - Thomas -- 12/21 personnel

Dumervil/Pita - Buckner - Thomas - Lynch -- 10/11 personnel

I think it's very intriguing to see how that D-Line of AA-Defo-Earl-Solly turns out. I share the scepticism about Armstead as the primary pass rusher, but I think he can do a better job than people would believe right now. I guess I like him more than most here :D

Not sure Dumervil really has a shot for the starting job, but he'll certainly be the guy to put on on passing downs. Absolutely no idea what to expect from both Pita and Lynch.

I think it'll largely be Armstead and Dumervil splitting reps at the LEO spot. Its important to remember that the team seems to be dead set on giving Buckner more time off during games. He played a ridiculous amount of snaps last year, and they've gone on record saying he was on the field too much. His natural replacement could be Armstead. So Armstead slides out of the LEO spot and to Defo's, and then have Dumervil in at the LEO role. Lynch is a guy I'm not sure makes the team. I'm not penciling him down as a cut, but I definitely wouldn't be surprised, and I think he'll be the third man in the role. He may see more time at other spots. Pita and Jimmie Gilbert are guys I don't view as likely to make the team and are more practice squad guys. 

4 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Love to hear how good Armstead is looking at Leo. Know its early but D-Line is shaping up to be very formidable and deep. 

We really better be at this point. With 3 young first rounders (a couple top 10 ones at that), we should be beastly. 

Getting very excited about the season already. Even if we're not going anywhere this year, there are a lot of developments that will actually be exciting to watch for the first time in a few years. 

2 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

Speaking of those two, I saw this video of the Dlineman and Aaron Lynch doesnt look overweight at all I think he's either done a great job losing it in a few weeks or those rumors were bs. 

Archived