Spankin New Turtle šŸ¢ Mock Draft Magic hittin ya in the face

turtle28

Trade! Washington trades up to #7!

RD 1:Ā Justin Fields (gives up 19, 51 & 2022 1st)

Rd3: Amo-Ra St. Brown, WR, USC

RD3: Patrick Jones, DE, Pitt

RD4: Hunter Long, TE, Boston CollegeĀ 

RD5: Pete Werner, ILB, Ohio State

RD7: Stevie Scott, RB, IndianaĀ 

RD7: Kary Vincent, Jr., CB, LSU
Ā 

• Like 2

I have no problem with moving up for Fields if he is there and no issue with giving up a future first rounder +

I would rather spend money in FA than draft a WR. It's a risky position to draft in general. We've certainly had a fair share of a busts the past decade.

I think drafting an EDGE is an underrated move. We are going to lose Kerrigan with little in terms of replacing him. They could learn a lot behind Chase and Montez. There is a lot of EDGE depth in the class around the 3rd round. I haven't watched any Patrick Jones but he sounds intriguing.Ā  Jayson Oweh, Dayo Odeyinbo are also names I want to check out.

I think we need to address O-Line somewhere in the draft but it might be hard if you trade up.

Edited by taylor made
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, taylor made said:

I have no problem with moving up for Fields if he is there and no issue with giving up a future first rounder +

I would rather spend money in FA than draft a WR. It's a risky position to draft in general. We've certainly had a fair share of a busts the past decade.

I think drafting an EDGE is an underrated move. We are going to lose Kerrigan with little in terms of replacing him. They could learn a lot behind Chase and Montez. There is a lot of EDGE depth in the class around the 3rd round. I haven't watched any Patrick Jones but he sounds intriguing.Ā  Jayson Oweh, Dayo Odeyinbo are also names I want to check out.

I think we need to address O-Line somewhere in the draft but it might be hard if you trade up.

We keep hitting home runs in the 3rd round, we also need multiple WRs IMO. I like Cam Sims but, he is more of a #4 than #2. Iā€™d still sign a FA WR then Iā€™d draft one in round 3 or 4 to be our slot WR unless we sign 2 WRs an outside guy to be our #2 & someone like Crowder also to be the slot, then I wouldnā€™t take a WR in the mid rounds if at all.

I keep getting stuck on the OL. For me, itā€™s either take one early who could start at LT or LG or donā€™t take one at all. We have decent depth along the OL. I know people donā€™t like to hear it, but our OL depth could be a lot worse. If our starters are once again:

LT: Lucas, ChristianĀ 

LG: Schweitzer, CharlesĀ 

C : Roullier, Ismael

RG: Scherff, Martin

RT: Moses, Sharpe

Sure we could get better reserves at RG & RT but itā€™s not a bigger need than finding two better options at WR besides Terry starting, WRsĀ (#2 & a lot) a back up TE, a back up/3rd pass rusher & at least one new starting LB or at the least better depth & we might need corners if we lose both Darby & Moreau.

Edited by turtle28

27 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

That seems like a solid mock. If that works for Fields, so be it.Ā 

I am thinking that Lawrence, Wilson and Fields go Top 4 now by trades.Ā 

I think the Bengals try trading up to secure Sewell, but even if they do that, those three could still go in the top 4. Ā 

Iā€™m not crazy about trading up for Fields, but that isnā€™t a bad deal all things considered. Ā Iā€™d still rather get Mac Jones at 19 though. Ā 

Iā€™d be down for this outcome.

It all hinges on Fields, of course, but I think thatā€™s a decent bet for QB. I love his physical talent (who wouldnā€™t?) and Iā€™ve heard enough good things about him as a person, leader, and learner that Iā€™d be comfortable taking that chance on him. I saw his on-field processing described as ā€œmethodicalā€ the other day, and I think thatā€™s probably a good word for it. Heā€™s not as natural or instinctive as a guy like Wilson, for example, and I think it will take a special kind of coaching to have him thinking fast but also thinking freely. But if you can accomplish that, youā€™re going toĀ unlock a ton of upside.Ā 

One question Iā€™d have is if Fields is available for that price, is there any way we can get Lance for less? To me, the difference between the two is somewhat negligible. I think youā€™ll be wise to sit both of them for the first year, and they both have the huge ceiling. If I could get Lance for meaningfully less, I might wait on it. It is tricky, though, because youā€™ve got the DAL/NYG/SF combo at 10-12 ā€” two teams who likely wonā€™t trade with you, followed by a team that is a major threat for a QB. Which always ends up leading me back to DEN at 9, which wouldnā€™t be much cheaper than getting up to (say) DET at 7 for Fields.Ā 

I like the rest of the draft. Amon-Ra and Patrick Jones are two guys I love on film. I agree that youā€™d want to address WR in FA ā€” if you could go to the second-tier of FA for Corey Davis and then circle back for Amon-Ra in the 3rd, thatā€™s great value and would give you a veryĀ well-rounded, flexible WR group all of a sudden. Jones struggled at the Senior Bowl, which may cause him to drop, but he never struggled at Pitt, so Iā€™d be comfortable adding him behind our two star DEs. Might look to FA for a cheap veteran backup there as well.Ā 

I would also love landing Pete Werner in the 5th. Canā€™t imagine he makes it that far ā€”Ā Iā€™d actually happily take him a round or even aĀ round and a half earlier than that. Hunter Long is not my huckleberry, but he had a nice season for BC. The 7th round is all about flyers, not a bad place to take the big back weā€™re looking for. Would have thought perhaps the 5th, but you canā€™t pass on Werner there for a RB.Ā 

One other thought thatā€™s occurring to me as I think about the move up for Fields: if weā€™re going to give upĀ two 1sts and a 2nd for Fields, why not just bite the bullet and go all-in for Watson?

For an additionalĀ 2023Ā 1st and Sweat, I would think we could move from a kid in Fields who is a big question mark to a real live bona fide top 6-8 QB in Watson. Plus a ton of money, so I guess you have to factor that in too. But the certainty of Watson would be appealing if youā€™re talking about already trading a fortune in picks for the blind hope of Fields.Ā 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, e16bball said:

One other thought thatā€™s occurring to me as I think about the move up for Fields: if weā€™re going to give upĀ two 1sts and a 2nd for Fields, why not just bite the bullet and go all-in for Watson?

For an additionalĀ 2023Ā 1st and Sweat, I would think we could move from a kid in Fields who is a big question mark to a real live bona fide top 6-8 QB in Watson. Plus a ton of money, so I guess you have to factor that in too. But the certainty of Watson would be appealing if youā€™re talking about already trading a fortune in picks for the blind hope of Fields.Ā 

I would not be in favor of a ransom trade for Watson. Might be in the minority, but I look at his contract and wow.Ā 

APY is ~$39M.Ā 

Base salary is favorable in 2021 at $10M but in 2022 it jumps to $35M. (My feeling is that his contract could be renegotiated based on the trade, but this is presumptive at the moment)

He had $117M Guaranteed which I believe the Texans would be on the hook for, and if traded they would have a dead cap hit of 65M, which I think can be hit over 2 years?Ā 

But that still leaves the remaining amount on his contract to WFT which shows base salaries of $35M in 2022, and $20M in 2023.Ā 

Because of that dead cap hit of $65M, I just can't believe the Texans would cripple their cap like that. Maybe if it were Bill O'Brien, but not this new guy. Its not a good start for a GM to destroy their cap situation like that.Ā 

8 hours ago, Skinsin2013 said:

The trade up to get Fields.

Canā€™t build your team scared to take chances. Weā€™ve been mediocre since 2013 in large part bc Dan & Brice were scared to take chances on FAs or in trading up to get a guy they loved in the draft.

I like Fields a lot!!! I maybe change a name or two in the mock as if prefer Paris Ford because Iā€™d anticipate us getting a WR in FA especially in this scenario. But I like Fields. I really really do think he Lance ot Mond are the best options for us going forward. Maybe not next years results but I think going forward those are the 3 best players for this team. They handle the pressure the best and they are mobile but all 3 have shown growth in their game and I know people say how with Lance but this guy clearly from game one to his last game showed more patience inside the passing game. But I like the mock Turtle!!!

• Like 1