Mid-Major Awards 2020-21

pf9

OK, I know I am late on this again. But I have been very busy, but now, I will present you last season's Mid-Major Awards, honoring the best performances from the following conferences and independent programs:

American
C-USA
MAC
MWC
Sun Belt
Army
BYU
Liberty
UMass

Not participating this year:
New Mexico State
UConn

Please note that some stats may have effectively been padded due to some teams playing fewer games than others.

Randy Moss Award (for best offensive player)
Jaelon Darden, WR, North Texas
He was the receiving yards leader among G5 players

Joe Steffy Award (for best defensive player)
Jordan Strachan, LB, Georgia State
He tied for the lead in sacks, and was only G5 player in the tie

Jason Elam Award (for best special teams player)
Alex Raynor, PK, Georgia Southern
He led the nation in kick-return yards, which may be a result of teams scoring a lot on the Minutemen this year

Ben Roethlisberger Award (Player of the Year)
Zach Wilson, QB, BYU
He was the best non-P5 QB, especially given he is expected to be a high draft pick

LaVell Edwards Award (Coach of the Year)
Jamey Chadwell, Coastal Carolina
The Chanticleers had struggled since becoming a full FBS program in 2018. But they pulled off a surprising season in 2020, going unbeaten until losing the Cure Bowl to rival Liberty.

Ault-DeBerry Award (Mid-Major National Championship)
Cincinnati Bearcats, 9-1

You could make an argument for elevating the American into the ranks of the power conferences, since more often than not it is one of their teams that represents the G5 in the NY6, which makes it difficult for teams from other G5 leagues to get into a major bowl. But if the American had a guaranteed spot, the other conferences could have a fighting shot at getting into the NY6. On the other hand, I'm projecting this decade that most of the American's current schools will join a legit power conference, which too could level the playing field in terms of chances of being the G5 rep in the NY6.