2021 Sign, Draft or Promote - Starting Left Defensive End

swede700

How should the Vikings handle the starting Left DE position?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. How should the Vikings handle the starting Left DE position?

• Re-sign Ifeadi Odenigbo
    • Sign an external free agent (Specify preference in thread)
    • Draft a new starting Left DE
    • Promote from within (Brailford, Willekes, or Wonnum)
    • Other (specify preference in thread)

Moving on to the starting Left Defensive End position...

2020 depth at the position:  Ifeadi Odenigbo, Jordan Brailford, Kenny Willekes

2021 Outgoing Free Agents: Ifeadi Odenigbo

Potential Free Agents Available: Ryan Kerrigan, Olivier Vernon, Solomon Thomas, Everson Griffen, Romeo Okwara, Charles Harris 

Potential Draftees:  Kwity Paye, Jaelan Phillips, Gregory Rousseau, Patrick Jones II, Dayo Odeyingbo, Carlos Basham, Jr 

Now we know that there isn't a lot of money to spend in the free agent market, but what should the Vikings do to improve this position?  Sign a free agent, Draft a replacement, or Promote from Within?

I think we should re-sign Odenigbo, continue to develop Wonnum/Mata'afa/Willekes/Brailford AND draft another mid-round guy in rounds 3-5. 

Odenigbo and Wonnum should be able to handle DE2 duties assuming Hunter returns healthy. Re-signing Odenigbo doesn't make DE as high of a priority heading into the draft.

I don't have a strong enough opinion on this one to cast a ballot. My knee-jerk inclination would be to promote from within and draft a DE in the third or fourth round. Wonnum might grow into a useful player and he isn't the only option. I still have hope for Willekes.

However, if Odenigbo's price isn't too high I wouldn't have a problem with bringing him back. If Odenigbo gets signed to another team in the first couple weeks of free agency I would accept the compensatory considerations. If he isn't signed in the first couple weeks I would assume the compensatory considerations would be low it any at all and would try to sign him back for the market price for DEs at that point in the offseason. Bringing him back would reduce my desire to draft another DE so probably wouldn't be too excited about using a third round pick on the DE. 

• Like 2

I’m all in on going after Trey Hendrickson in FA.. i would cut a few players and restructure some as well. I would free enough money to go after Hendrickson. 

He would instantly upgrade our defense. Plus, add in Hunter and Pierce along with a rookie DT, and we are moving in the right direction..

30 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

This is my thoughts. 

I prefer to promote from within for the RDE position

Yes, Hunter at LE. I’d welcome Griffen back at RE if he’s mentally okay to join the team. Who knows after trashing Cousins.

Id bring back Odinigbo if he’s cheap and give the inside track to the starting job to Wonnum.  

I chose re-signing Odegnibo if the price is right.  If Hunter returns fully healed, I think Odegnibo is the best option on the other side.  I think the 3 tech DT is of more concern to me than RDE.

I would definitely try and keep Odenigbo as long as it is reasonable.  I am not enamored with him but the defensive line needs depth.  Hunter, Odenigbo, and Wonnum is a decent rotation.  Then just draft Barmore and suddenly our defensive line can pretend to be an NFL line again.

• Like 1