2021 Sign, Draft or Promote - Starting Left Defensive End

swede700

How should the Vikings handle the starting Left DE position?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. How should the Vikings handle the starting Left DE position?

• Re-sign Ifeadi Odenigbo
    • Sign an external free agent (Specify preference in thread)
    • Draft a new starting Left DE
    • Promote from within (Brailford, Willekes, or Wonnum)
    • Other (specify preference in thread)

12 hours ago, NoDakViking said:

I think Odenigbo is a restricted FA so should not be very expensive to resign.  I  say bring Odenigo back and draft a DE that can slide inside on passing downs (Paye, Rousseau, Basham)

Even as a RFA, it's still going to be over triple his salary based on what he was making before if they just tender him at right of first refusal (it's still not a whole lot of money as he'll be going from 600K to 2.1M, but it's something to factor in)...and they also have Boone and Beebe as RFAs...not to say that they'd prioritize either of them over him, but you never know.    

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

Even as a RFA, it's still going to be over triple his salary based on what he was making before if they just tender him at right of first refusal (it's still not a whole lot of money as he'll be going from 600K to 2.1M, but it's something to factor in)...and they also have Boone and Beebe as RFAs...not to say that they'd prioritize either of them over him, but you never know.    

True, but that's more of a considerable upgrade for him than it is a factor on the overall picture.  2.1 mil is pretty cheap for a starting base DE still.  I don't think I'd give any priority to Beebe or Boone although I believe Boone plays on all the special teams and would be RB3 by himself if Abdullah leaves.

Odenigbo could be resigned and still split time with Wonnum as he comes along or draft a DE and let Wonnum and the rookie compete.

I wonder what Odenigbo would fetch in a sign and trade?

Draft Kwity Paye or Azeez Ojulari at 14. Possibly trade down a bit for Daviyon Nixon if 14 is too high.

I said last year if anything happened to Hunter this team would have no pass rush and I was right. DE is a premium position unlike IOL and the Vikings cannot afford to let Hunter be the single determining factor on whether or not this team can pressure the QB. 

Getting a 3T in the 3rd round where the value will be there is what I'd do next. I'm not sold on Barmore at 14 -- he's not explosive enough IMO. If this team really wants an earlier round 3T, I'd trade down a bid for Nixon -- that is unless his draft stock rises after workouts. 

2 hours ago, babababa said:

Draft Kwity Paye or Azeez Ojulari at 14. Possibly trade down a bit for Daviyon Nixon if 14 is too high.

I said last year if anything happened to Hunter this team would have no pass rush and I was right. DE is a premium position unlike IOL and the Vikings cannot afford to let Hunter be the single determining factor on whether or not this team can pressure the QB. 

Getting a 3T in the 3rd round where the value will be there is what I'd do next. I'm not sold on Barmore at 14 -- he's not explosive enough IMO. If this team really wants an earlier round 3T, I'd trade down a bid for Nixon -- that is unless his draft stock rises after workouts. 

I’d personally prioritize the need for pass rushers over OL, not having them was a bigger hindrance than the performance of the OL. I’d even go as far as doubling up on a DE and 3T to start the draft and then grab an OG. While I’d love another talented CB, it probably isn’t feasible with the needs along the trenches.

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

I’d personally prioritize the need for pass rushers over OL, not having them was a bigger hindrance than the performance of the OL. I’d even go as far as doubling up on a DE and 3T to start the draft and then grab an OG. While I’d love another talented CB, it probably isn’t feasible with the needs along the trenches.

I can get behind this approach. 

39 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Stephen Weatherly was released by Carolina. I’d bring him back into the rotation. 

If he was cheap enough sure, but there is a reason Carolina released him just after one season.  Signed a 2 year $12 mil contract and released after one year says a lot.  Everson Griffen is an option also considering how much he wants to come back to Minnesota but with the beef he had about things Zim said about him being good and not calling him great doubt they bring him back after that.

Really though DE is not a need.  They have Hunter, Wonnum who could be a star, Jalyn Holmes, Willekes if he is anything off injury, Jordan Brailford who was not awful in the little time he had last year and Hercules who played well and got some pressure from the DE spot last year also.  Draft one sure but really it is not a huge need compared to DT.  Odenigbo is a loss no doubt if they do lose him but they have more depth arguably at DE than DT.  Draft a guy late sure but honestly Rousseau unless he runs some 4.6 40 should not even be considered by the Vikings.  Would love him but who says Wonnum could not become a fine player in the future.  

I would love a guy like Elerson Smith but really DT is a much bigger need, but with so many picks in the 3rd and 4th maybe they could get both positions.  

16 hours ago, Ozzy said:

If he was cheap enough sure, but there is a reason Carolina released him just after one season.  Signed a 2 year $12 mil contract and released after one year says a lot.  Everson Griffen is an option also considering how much he wants to come back to Minnesota but with the beef he had about things Zim said about him being good and not calling him great doubt they bring him back after that.

Really though DE is not a need.  They have Hunter, Wonnum who could be a erstar, Jalyn Holmes, Willekes if he is anything off injury, Jordan Brailford who was not awful in the little time he had last year and Hercules who played well and got some pressure from the DE spot last year also.  Draft one sure but really it is not a huge need compared to DT.  Odenigbo is a loss no doubt if they do lose him but they have more depth arguably at DE than DT.  Draft a guy late sure but honestly Rousseau unless he runs some 4.6 40 should not even be considered by the Vikings.  Would love him but who says Wonnum could not become a fine player in the future.  

I would love a guy like Elerson Smith but really DT is a much bigger need, but with so many picks in the 3rd and 4th maybe they could get both positions.  

If this team could've rushed the QB at all last year from the DE position I'd agree with you. DT is the biggest need on the team -- yes -- but that's not a disqualifier for how poor the DEs played.

Ngakoue led the team in sacks with 5 even though he wasn't on the team through most of the year. 

Wonnum isn't the answer yet and the hope is that he could be a solid starter first (unclear/potential) -- not a "star" (wishing and hoping).

Odenigbo isn't a solid starter in passing situations. He does well against the run -- that's it. 

All of the other Vikings DEs you mentioned are rotational players of various degrees at best.

Considering all the other high positions of need (DT/IOL) I'd say you can get the most value at 14 by addressing DE unless Barmore/Nixon have amazing workouts and their draft stock shoots up. I know Barmore is being talked about a lot right now even though I like Nixon. If the Vikings picked him I'd understand it. If they went OL I'd understand that too. It's a matter of personal preference in how you think you should address the team. DE is a high need though IMO.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, babababa said:

If this team could've rushed the QB at all last year from the DE position I'd agree with you. DT is the biggest need on the team -- yes -- but that's not a disqualifier for how poor the DEs played.

Ngakoue led the team in sacks with 5 even though he wasn't on the team through most of the year. 

Wonnum isn't the answer yet and the hope is that he could be a solid starter first (unclear/potential) -- not a "star" (wishing and hoping).

Odenigbo isn't a solid starter in passing situations. He does well against the run -- that's it. 

All of the other Vikings DEs you mentioned are rotational players of various degrees at best.

Considering all the other high positions of need (DT/IOL) I'd say you can get the most value at 14 by addressing DE unless Barmore/Nixon have amazing workouts and their draft stock shoots up. I know Barmore is being talked about a lot right now even though I like Nixon. If the Vikings picked him I'd understand it. If they went OL I'd understand that too. It's a matter of personal preference in how you think you should address the team. DE is a high need though IMO.

I do not hate the Vikings getting a DE but very high in the draft does not make much sense.  Barmore might be worth taking 14th, Nixon is not I feel.  And at DE outside of Rousseau there is no legit option at DE anyway.

Fact is sure the DE group is not great statistically but at least a few of the younger guys have done a little something, that cannot be said for the DT group outside of Lynch and his production was very limited last year as was his play.  At least those younger DEs in Holmes, Wonnum, Hercules, Brailford played and had some level of production when in there and and hopefully Willekes can as well.  The DT group has what?  Watts?  Not a giant fan of his long term upside or potential but yeah any DL would be good arguably.

I still feel Wonnum has big time upside, but sure the entire group struggled without Hunter there to take the attention and blocking.  

3 hours ago, perrynoid said:

If we let Harris leave, and cut some unproductive vets, might we be able to bring Ngakoue back?  He and Hunter would make an awesome tandem.

Wasn’t a fit for what the defensive coaches want to do. That hasn’t changed.