2021 Sign, Draft or Promote - Starting Left Defensive End

How should the Vikings handle the starting Left DE position?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. How should the Vikings handle the starting Left DE position?

• Re-sign Ifeadi Odenigbo
    • Sign an external free agent (Specify preference in thread)
    • Draft a new starting Left DE
    • Promote from within (Brailford, Willekes, or Wonnum)
    • Other (specify preference in thread)

On 2/21/2021 at 2:15 PM, Ozzy said:

I do not hate the Vikings getting a DE but very high in the draft does not make much sense.  Barmore might be worth taking 14th, Nixon is not I feel.  And at DE outside of Rousseau there is no legit option at DE anyway.

Fact is sure the DE group is not great statistically but at least a few of the younger guys have done a little something, that cannot be said for the DT group outside of Lynch and his production was very limited last year as was his play.  At least those younger DEs in Holmes, Wonnum, Hercules, Brailford played and had some level of production when in there and and hopefully Willekes can as well.  The DT group has what?  Watts?  Not a giant fan of his long term upside or potential but yeah any DL would be good arguably.

I still feel Wonnum has big time upside, but sure the entire group struggled without Hunter there to take the attention and blocking.  

You may not like Kwity Paye, but every mock draft I've seen has him as a top 10-20 pick and is being mocked to the Vikings by some sites including currently over at NFL.com (Bucky Brooks) and CBS's Chris Trapasso. Azeez Ojulari is a little bit more across the board in the 1st but is currently being mocked to the Vikings by Pete Prisco at CBS. That said, saying Rousseau is the only legit option is objectively false. 

I think trading down would be a good move if this team decides not to go DE at 14. The value of getting a 3T later in the 1st or in the 2nd with several good options to choose from would be worth it.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, babababa said:

You may not like Kwity Paye, but every mock draft I've seen has him as a top 10-20 pick and is being mocked to the Vikings by some sites including currently over at NFL.com (Bucky Brooks) and CBS's Chris Trapasso. Azeez Ojulari is a little bit more across the board in the 1st but is currently being mocked to the Vikings by Pete Prisco at CBS. That said, saying Rousseau is the only legit option is objectively false. 

I think trading down would be a good move if this team decides not to go DE at 14. The value of getting a 3T later in the 1st or in the 2nd with several good options to choose from would be worth it.

Rousseau is better than Paye I feel, Paye people hype up but I would be shocked if he is actually as athletic as some rumors show.  If he does indeed run that fast and jump that high than yeah he could be an option but I will wait till I see it actually.  He looked great against Minnesota with Faalele and Dunlap out of the game and new starters on the edges, Paye and Hutchinson both looked like 1st round picks in that game, but the games previous Paye did not do as much and then got hurt which is also not a 1st time for that either.  Is odd though why did he have zero sacks against Michigan State, Indiana and Penn State and all were losses.  Again I think he really played great against a Minnesota team that was not fresh and playing new OL in some spots.  Still I would not take him that dang high but sure others say so, still no way he is value there over the likes of Barmore who actually was productive all season and has arguably more upside and is more of a need position for the Vikings.  AJ Epenesa and Gross-Matos were both better DE prospects in college arguably than Paye and they both feel to the 2nd round as well.

Azeez is a 3/4 OLB not a DE I feel, so I do not consider him an option.  Trading down I would love but really it will never happen because no player would be there that a team would want that bad, but who knows.  Sure if Twyman and Tufele are just going to be sitting there in the 3rd round sure pass on a DT at 14.  But I would be surprised if they are, especially Twyman who should really be a 1st round pick.  If the Vikings like Mustafa Johnson, Darius Stills, Jerome Johnson, Cameron Sample a lot than yeah wait and see who is there in the 3rd and draft a ******* OG or future OT.  

Will be interesting how Paye works out but not sure he is actually that athletic.  

I've heard more than one expert say that Rousseau is a one-trick pony, while Paye is likely one of the few, if not the only, 3-down DE in the draft, as he can move inside on 3rd down. 

So, now that we are being back Weatherly, are the Vikings no longer looking at a DE?

I would of went in a different direction, but we will see. 

I still would of liked Trey Hendrickson or Romeo Okwara. 

3 minutes ago, Vikes22 said:

So, now that we are being back Weatherly, are the Vikings no longer looking at a DE?

I would of went in a different direction, but we will see. 

I still would of liked Trey Hendrickson or Romeo Okwara. 

I would say no way they should take DE 1st round now that Weatherly is back.  Sure he is not great but is pretty damn cheap at $2.5 mil for one year for a veteran like him, was good in this system and provides a good backup DE or starter if injuries happen.  Odenigbo is probably long gone, and really should be because last year when he was put in position to be the man and produce, he did not with less talent around him so is not worth a big time contract.

Still think DE can be addressed later on in the draft.  Trey Hendrickson, no way I would have paid up for him because again not sure he is worth a huge contract.  Sure he had a great season this year but is around some very good DL in New Orleans and no way he is some Jared Allen type anyway.

16 hours ago, RpMc said:

Weatherly is a place holder, and decent rotational depth. Nothing more. 

I would just describe him as insurance, not a "placeholder."  Bringing him in doesn't require them to draft a DE high, but it doesn't prevent it either. 

On 2/23/2021 at 9:55 AM, swede700 said:

I've heard more than one expert say that Rousseau is a one-trick pony, while Paye is likely one of the few, if not the only, 3-down DE in the draft, as he can move inside on 3rd down. 

Patterson has worked with one trick ponies before and made magic. 

Danielle Hunter wasn't some super can't miss prospect coming out of LSU. I don't think he'd be as good as he is had it not been for coaching.

44 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Patterson has worked with one trick ponies before and made magic. 

Danielle Hunter wasn't some super can't miss prospect coming out of LSU. I don't think he'd be as good as he is had it not been for coaching.

Danielle was a unique individual in that he took to the coaching moreso than most, as I often read during his rookie year.  And no, he wasn't a super can't miss prospect, but he had elite measurables and just didn't have the production in college which depressed his stock.  It was his desire to learn from Dre (and others like Everson and Robison) that elevated him.  I don't know if I can say the same for Rousseau.  Maybe he can, but I trust the opinions of others in the know and I don't think it's as wise of an investment in a 1st rd pick to take a guy who might only be a one-trick pony.  You can get that out of a 3rd rd pick or later.  In the first round, you want a guy you know that can do more.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, swede700 said:

I would just describe him as insurance, not a "placeholder."  Bringing him in doesn't require them to draft a DE high, but it doesn't prevent it either. 

That's my definition for placeholder.

9 minutes ago, RpMc said:

That's my definition for placeholder.

That's a very loose description of placeholder because then you're saying my job is in an industry that's just a placeholder for someone else.  Thanks for that.  🤣