Last Place - Good, Bad, and Ugly

SilverNBlackFan

5 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

Can you think of a reason he has to play this way this week...

Just curious...

Carr has been a QB that's always relied on the short passing game, that isn't just because his back is hurt right now. Last year he was 21st out of 28 qualifying QBs in the league with only 10% of his attempts being deep passes(Bradford last with 8.5, Big Ben 1st with 16.9). They've went even more to short passing this year though. This year he's 30th out of 31(and will likely soon be 30th out of 30th when Mike Glennon no longer qualifies) with 7.2% of his passes being deep balls. He's quite a bit behind the guy in 29th which is Hoyer at 8.3%, but I would imagine Carr will get at least closer to 2016 numbers before the year is done/he returns to full health.

SilverNBlack is correct. Carr is good, but he's not as good as the media hyped him up to be after last season. Everyone always rushes to call any young QB that shows talent elite though, and I wish that would stop.

35 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Carr has been a QB that's always relied on the short passing game, that isn't just because his back is hurt right now. Last year he was 21st out of 28 qualifying QBs in the league with only 10% of his attempts being deep passes(Bradford last with 8.5, Big Ben 1st with 16.9). They've went even more to short passing this year though. This year he's 30th out of 31(and will likely soon be 30th out of 30th when Mike Glennon no longer qualifies) with 7.2% of his passes being deep balls. He's quite a bit behind the guy in 29th which is Hoyer at 8.3%, but I would imagine Carr will get at least closer to 2016 numbers before the year is done/he returns to full health.

SilverNBlack is correct. Carr is good, but he's not as good as the media hyped him up to be after last season. Everyone always rushes to call any young QB that shows talent elite though, and I wish that would stop.

Couldn't agree more. There is no barometer anymore. We don't let player build a body of work before crowning them.

5 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

Last year Carr made a ton of intermediate throws (12-25 yards) to 5 win games at least for us. Add that to his TD to INT ratio, his progression in production and efficiency and the team record and the league was more than right to give him the credit he got and to hype him and say he was on the path to being elite. By contrast last game, after coming back from injury he look uncomfortable in the pocket and struggled with his accuracy on even those intermediate throws. So what is left but the short game. Added to that, the offense as a whole has been struggling and the shorter throws help get the ball moving and the fact that Carr's pocket clock has always been faster than other QBs since watching his brother get creamed.

SO, last year he earned the accolades and hype that he received. This year is different.

Another thing - Karl Joseph's upside as a player is capped by the fact that he cannot physically cover an NFL Tight End. He gets out positioned and boxed out so easily by them, it's an alarming weakness.

He can make all the tackles and big hits he wants, but if you can't cover at this level then you are a replaceable player. 

1 hour ago, NightTrainLane said:

and the fact that Carr's pocket clock has always been faster than other QBs since watching his brother get creamed.

And this is what I mean when I say Carr has his limitations. He has been so intent on getting the ball out of his hands so quickly since he's come into the league, out of fear of watching what happened to his Brother 15 years ago.  It has been a knock on him since college. Now all of a sudden, he's buddy buddy with the OC and has more input on what we run and this is what the offense has turned into - The Hot Potatoe offense.

There is very little scanning of the field, there are no extending of the play. It's a quick read here and the ball is out within 4-5 yards. Carr is averaging 4.6 average distance per completion - that's pathetic for any QB much less a 125 million dollar one. 

This team is not built to be a quick passing offense like the Patriots. We are not a precise team to methodically drive down the field like that. We have two WRs with 4.3 speed and one of the faster TEs in the league that can get down the seams - but we are intent on dinking and dunking so Carr can get rid of the ball. We built the highest paid offensive line football -mostly to make Carr feel comfortable. And really, it's like for what? If you running this style offense you don't need an expensive Oline.

15 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

Right now we aren't but I bet if Carr stays the 125 mil QB on the roster it becomes that.

Looks like we will need new coaches, WRs, and O-line.  We have spent to much time rebuilding this team to start over again.

3 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Looks like we will need new coaches, WRs, and O-line.  We have spent to much time rebuilding this team to start over again.

Don't need new coaches or oline. This is a solid pass blocking oline. WRs, maybe a few. If Cooper gets it together he fits. Crab (tho he is a possession WR that could fit like Hogan) and Patterson could both be gone next year. We could draft one guy and sign someone like Albert Wilson or Jarvis Landry.

10 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

Uh, you don't think a lot of this has to do with coaching? Put him in a Norv Turner offense and what you'll see is completely different. Musgrave and Downing have very similar philosophies, it's just that the execution is far more poor.

1 hour ago, NightTrainLane said:

Don't need new coaches or oline. This is a solid pass blocking oline. WRs, maybe a few. If Cooper gets it together he fits. Crab (tho he is a possession WR that could fit like Hogan) and Patterson could both be gone next year. We could draft one guy and sign someone like Albert Wilson or Jarvis Landry.

The point was how much we have invested. If we change the philosophy we change the importance of different positions.  As for coaches a system similar to New England works because the QB and coaches help the players use their strengths.  Our O-coordinator took a top offense and has ran it into the ground so far.

51 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

At what point will Ward be a bust if he is inactive every week? Latham isn't even on the roster right now and he's not even active.

I don't want any of our draft picks to bust, but this one is looking like an inevitability at this point.

Yeah, maybe but it's not like it's noticeable this season with MEJ playing. Ward to me looks like a MEJ clone which is good because if he pans out then they could be rotated. But I guess if he doesn't show anything during his rookie contract then sure he's a bust but the guy could turn it around next season and be a force. 

3 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Another thing - Karl Joseph's upside as a player is capped by the fact that he cannot physically cover an NFL Tight End. He gets out positioned and boxed out so easily by them, it's an alarming weakness.

He can make all the tackles and big hits he wants, but if you can't cover at this level then you are a replaceable player. 

Love him in run support but he should be playing deep it’s a mismatch he’s dwarfed by nearly every TE that isn’t Evan Engram or Jordan Reed 

Archived