Last Place - Good, Bad, and Ugly

SilverNBlackFan

48 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

And if we got a few new weapons we could do that. That was my point.

My point is our coordinator might only know how to place familiar pieces into favorable roles.  That is bad news if he can not adapt his system to the players.  I do not want to go out and get new players.  He already has one of the most talented units in the league.  Time to do something with it that works.

Just now, drfrey13 said:

My point is our coordinator might only know how to place familiar pieces into favorable roles.  That is bad news if he can not adapt his system to the players.  I do not want to go out and get new players.  He already has one of the most talented units in the league.  Time to do something with it that works.

You mean like in week 1 and 2.

Yeah, he might and he might not. He also may be getting input from the players (Carr in the passing game and Lynch in the running game) on what they want and it isn't working. He also may have had a good plan that worked for a time and then he had a hard time adjusting when teams countered it due to his inexperience. He also may have had a hard time adjusting the gameplan for a different QB and the absence of the #1 WR due to injury. The players may have also had problems with execution which lead to 3 and outs and taxed the defense.

Or a combo of all of those things.

Oh and I wasn't saying getting new player right now but in the offseason when that normally happens. Maybe Carr wants to play a certain way and we have committed to him already. You build around him now.

People are still sleeping on the defense. The issues ARE correctable. They are idiotic and frustrating, but they are correctable.

I feel that if this team can just sneak a wild card, we have shown the ability (but 0 consistency whatsoever) to play at a good level on both sides of the ball.

6 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

People are still sleeping on the defense. The issues ARE correctable. They are idiotic and frustrating, but they are correctable.

I feel that if this team can just sneak a wild card, we have shown the ability (but 0 consistency whatsoever) to play at a good level on both sides of the ball.

Agree.  Need the offense to wake up first though.

6 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

You mean like in week 1 and 2.

Yeah, he might and he might not. He also may be getting input from the players (Carr in the passing game and Lynch in the running game) on what they want and it isn't working. He also may have had a good plan that worked for a time and then he had a hard time adjusting when teams countered it due to his inexperience. He also may have had a hard time adjusting the gameplan for a different QB and the absence of the #1 WR due to injury. The players may have also had problems with execution which lead to 3 and outs and taxed the defense.

Or a combo of all of those things.

Oh and I wasn't saying getting new player right now but in the offseason when that normally happens. Maybe Carr wants to play a certain way and we have committed to him already. You build around him now.

There are multiple reasons but the coordinator has to be able to work through the issues.  Over the past four games we have averaged 225 yards per game and 13.25 points per game.  That is about as good as the Colts in their first game.  Weeks 1 and 2 we played average to bad defenses.

8 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

There are multiple reasons but the coordinator has to be able to work through the issues.  Over the past four games we have averaged 225 yards per game and 13.25 points per game.  That is about as good as the Colts in their first game.  Weeks 1 and 2 we played average to bad defenses.

It's like you didnt even read what was written...

Yeah and Wash, Den and Bal are top 10 defenses. It goes both ways.

14 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

not only that, but this D i feel like was designed to play with the lead.

Let Mack and Irvin just rush the QB, i feel like now they both are playing the run first, which is slowing them both down in the sacks department.

While against SD they did play well, very disappointing to just let SD walk over them on that last drive. no doubt in my mind they score a TD there if they needed too. 

I think Conley and Obi will make a big impact (if they get to play this season) and i think Bowman will be a nice addition. no more of these, guys get hit for a gain of 2 yards, and then push for another 4 hopefully!!

21 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Downing's job was to keep the system we had, add a few plays to it and call games better, not totally change the system. We have tried this zone blocking crap several times over the years, and failed, and clearly our OL one of the heaviest in the NFL is suited to a power blocking scheme.

Just now, big_palooka said:

Am I the only who thinks we're going overboard regarding this ZBS stuff? It was a a couple looks. They've not been running it exclusively. They are running straight up power on the majority of plays from what I see. 

It should be zero to be honest. Lol. 

33 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

It should be zero to be honest. Lol. 

17 minutes ago, Nodisrespect said:

Lynch ran in Cables zbs in Seattle it's probably what he is most comfortable with and it's just a few plays, far from the main problem imo.

Yup and it was stated that after the Washington game Lynch was working with the coaching staff to get more looks in fits he's more comfortable in. If anything he would want more ZBS looks. You never know.

We ran 70 zbs plays this season, we ran 64 all last year. It makes a huge difference. You asking your oline to remember more, do more, react more that just playing. Clearly the oline has regressed. I blame penn on age. But gabe and hudson has looked way worse to. Something is happening. 

9 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

We ran 70 zbs plays this season, we ran 64 all last year. It makes a huge difference. You asking your oline to remember more, do more, react more that just playing. Clearly the oline has regressed. I blame penn on age. But gabe and hudson has looked way worse to. Something is happening. 

Hence Lynch's influence.

10 hours ago, raidr4life said:

Downing's job was to keep the system we had, add a few plays to it and call games better, not totally change the system. We have tried this zone blocking crap several times over the years, and failed, and clearly our OL one of the heaviest in the NFL is suited to a power blocking scheme.

That was part of my point.  We are heavily invested in having big powerful blockers that can win one on one.  Also so far Lynch has not outplayed Murray from last year.  I personally believe Lynch is a better runner but the difference, I believe, is the blocking.  A was stated earlier we have run 70 ZBS runs out of 123 designed run plays and Lynch just happens to have 70 rush attempts.  I do not know how many of his are ZBS runs but I would imagine he has most of them.  If that is the case then it might be an easy sign for the defense to key off of when he is in the game.

Marshawn Lynch 70 257 3.7              
Jalen Richard 26 127 4.9              
Cordarrelle Patterson 10 124 12.4              
DeAndre Washington 14 20 1.4              

Jamize Olawale 3 15 5.0              

Archived