War's non-simulator mock

warfelg

Ok, so i'm not using any simulators to develop this mock for us.  I'm using a compilation of a few different mocks to have some ideas as to who could be available.  I'm going to add a few explainers before getting into the draft part because it is effecting what I'm going to put out there as to who is going to be drafted where.

The big one:

Ben Roethlisberger "retires" in the way that Troy Polumalu retires.

Letting walk:

Cam Sutton, Bud Dupree, Alejandro Villanueva, Matt Feiler, Tyson Alualu, Vince Williams (cut), James Conner

Extension/Restructure:

Joe Haden, adding 2 years, $6mil in new money, restructure all but the minimum to signing bonus.

Eric Ebron, addin 1 year, $1.5 mil in new money, restructure all but the minimum to signing bonus.

TJ Watt, 5 years, $125 million, $55mil guaranteed, EXTENSION that adds $115mil in new money, which reduces his 2021 cap hit.

Retaining:

Juju Smith-Schuester on a 3 year, $45mil deal

Mike Sutton on a 3 year, $28mil deal (see what I did there?)

OK, not going to speculate on the outside FA signings right now because the market is just too volatile to guess what's going to happen there.

ROUND 1:

Trade down with Buffalo Bills, giving up 24 and 2022 5th for 30 and Rd 3 pick 93.

Liam Eichenberg OT Notre Dame: I know some have said the rumor is Banner has been told he's the plan at LT, I honestly think that's "for now".  In this draft, I got a few LT's rated the same (Cosmi, Eichenberg, Darrisaw), Harris is gone already, Etinne isn't really worth this pick.  So there's value in dropping 6 spots, still getting a highly rated player at a position of need.  This also give flexibility to allow Banner and Eichenberg to battle at the LT position, and knowing that Banner can play RT it could give use a beneficial swing tackle position if needed.

ROUND 2:

This pick with a conditional 2022 6th (no playoffs)/3rd (make playoffs) for Jets QB Sam Darnold

There it is.  Our QB of the future.  If the Jets do go Wilson/Fields with the #2 pick, then the value of Darnald drops far and fast.  Snagging him for this pick would be a great move at this point.  You can look at it this way with his 5th year option and Ben's dead cap: We got him on a 2 year $50mil deal.  If he crashes and burns, we're still in a great position to draft QB in 2022, and if he does well then we have another 2 years of team control in a cap that will explode fast.

ROUND 3:

Alec Lindstrom OC Boston College: In the first two picks there's the future of the OL set.  Between Eichenberg, Dodson, Lindstrom, and Okorafor/Banner that gives a huge injection of youth and meanness to the line.  Lindstrom had some injury issues early in his BC career but he's been a really solid and smart player at the position.  Don't take that as something that means that he's soft though.  He's still got that streak where he will pick you up and rip you in half.

Via Bills: Michael Carter RB North Carolina: Carter had a good senior bowl, and to me looks like a plus version of a healthy Conner.  What's the plus version look like?  A little faster, a better blocker, more willing to get north south, and has the strength to punch it in through defenders if they need to.

ROUND 4:

WR James Washington to WFT for pick 114 Washington needs to find help at the WR position and I have them just missing out on the top targets in round 1.  So with our surplus at the position of top 3 starting quality guys, we make a move to bring in an extra pick here.

Garret Wallow ILB Northwestern: A converted safety, Wallow has some excellent coverage skills in zone and man.  He's becoming much better at seeing run plays develop but he's not afraid to throw his body into the fray to make a tackle.  Reminds me some of Spillane with some extra pep in his step.  At 6'2" 230 pounds he will need to put on about 10-15 pounds to handle NFL level blockers better.

Tony Poljan TE Virginia: Over 15 years ago we took a TE from Virginia and that worked out well.  Not saying Poljan is Miller, but he possesses some of the similar level skills.  At 6'7" and 265 pounds Poljan is about as big as they come, adding a huge red zone target for Darnold to work with.

ROUND 5:

No picks

ROUND 6:

Kary Vincent CB LSU: With the loss of Sutton we need to pick up some CB somewhere.  Picking up Vincent, you know at worse he's gonna give you some special teams snaps.  Best case is he makes Haden expendable in the future.

ROUND 7:

Brennen Eagles WR Texas

Bryce Thompson CB Tennessee

POST DRAFT DEPTH CHARTS:

QB - Sam Darnold, Mason Rudolph, Dwayne Haskins

RB - Michael Carter, Benny Snell, Anthony McFarland, Jaylon Samuels

WR - Juju Smith-Schuester, Chase Claypool, Diontae Johnson, Ray Ray McCloud, Bennen Eagles

TE - Eric Ebron, Tony Poljan, Kevin Radar

LT - Liam Eichenberg, Chucks Okorafor

LG - Kevin Dodson, Haussenaur

OC - Alec Lindstrom, Haussenaur

RG - David DeCastro, Haussenaur

RT - Zach Banner, Okorafor

DE - Cam Heyward, Stephon Tuitt, Isaiah Buggs

DT - Carlos Davis (I honestly think we fill this in FA)

OLB - TJ Watt, Alex Hightower, Ola Adeniyi

ILB - Devin Bush, Robert Spillane, Garret Wallow, Ulysees Gilbert

CB - Joe Haden, Steven Nelson, Mike Hilton, Justin Layne, Kary Vincent, Bryce Thompson

S - Minkah Fitzpatrick, Terrell Edmunds, Jordan Dangerfield, Sean Davis

Just personal preference but don’t like trading a 2nd for Darnold.

I know you said no outside FAs but the Steelers will sign a stopgap vet of some sort(I’m guessing Center) so they don’t have to force anything come draft day.

Nothing against the picks but I don’t see them going that offense heavy with the defense lacking depth at allt of spots(Edge/DL/S)...you forgot about the Steelers comp 4th so in this scenario they’d have 3 4ths.

The Steelers will have several “holes” no matter what after the draft so this hard...appreciate the work put into it.

A few things there:

The lacking depth on defense, I'd picture FA being used to improve that depth over draft.  For the cost of a starting stopgap center, you can likely get a depth DL and depth S.  Additionally both OT and C are kinda deep in this draft so it's worth going for.

We know we're getting a 4th compensatory most likely, but we don't 100% know what it is yet, hence not picking it because I try to stay within +/- consensus 3-5 picks of where we actually pick when I do these.

If we're going to have holes going into this draft, there's certain positions that it's better to have those holes at like OL, ILB, RB this year as opposed to other positions like S, DL, EDGE.

The jets have so many holes...it's an unpopular opinion...but I would trade down instead of picking another qb in the first. This coming from a guy who saw Sam darnold as barley a 2nd round qb... Let alone a first...I had some serious concerns about him. And they have come to light in his gameplay on the field....however I have seen flashes that impress... Given all the holes the jets have, I would build around him to get a true and clear picture of what my investment's outcome truly is. That being said, I would not give a second round pick for a qb whose gameplay is just as responsible as his front office's mishandling, for the joke that was the jets season.

Dont hate it...dont love it.

Not a fan of Darnold, but we wont have many other options.  I dont have a major issue witg giving hin a chance, but I also have a feeling some team is going to offer something dumb for him.   Hopefully not us.

11 minutes ago, 43M said:

Dont hate it...dont love it.

Not a fan of Darnold, but we wont have many other options.  I dont have a major issue witg giving hin a chance, but I also have a feeling some team is going to offer something dumb for him.   Hopefully not us.

If, IF, Ben is on the outs, then Darnold is my biggest preferred target because of the contract.  $4.5 mil in year one, and about $25mil on his option year.  As I stated if you think of him as a 2 year $50mil contract with a 3rd year option (franchise tag), it really does make trading for him make even more sense IMO.  Like has been stated he's shown spurts of ability.  The Jets best WR would be the 4th WR of the 3 I ended up keeping.  With a strong defense and major draft investments on offense I think we would be setting him up to succeed.

And my goal some year is to get the "I love it" on a mock from you. :) 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, warfelg said:

If, IF, Ben is on the outs, then Darnold is my biggest preferred target because of the contract.  $4.5 mil in year one, and about $25mil on his option year.  As I stated if you think of him as a 2 year $50mil contract with a 3rd year option (franchise tag), it really does make trading for him make even more sense IMO.  Like has been stated he's shown spurts of ability.  The Jets best WR would be the 4th WR of the 3 I ended up keeping.  With a strong defense and major draft investments on offense I think we would be setting him up to succeed.

And my goal some year is to get the "I love it" on a mock from you. :) 

Very rarely do I love a mock, so good luck, my friend.   😄

This year will be damn near impossible for me to love a mock, because realistically, there arent really any avenues for a great offseason.

Best we can hope for IMO is a merely good offseason, and yours isnt too far off.    If I liked Darnold more, it would probably be there, because I like most of your other moves.

• Like 1