2021 Salary Cap floor at $180 million; ceiling still being negotiated

Xenos

12 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

I guess they're looking at the start of FA as the target for when they need to have the finalized cap number by but it seems insane to me that there's no definitive number yet. For teams trying to re-sign FA's right now or else decide whether they want to use the franchise tag (which teams can start using next week), you sorta need to know what the salary cap is in order to structure the contracts accordingly and/or make decisions on the tag. This just seems so utterly haphazard and is getting in the way of teams being able to fully move on offseason plans. 

Just bad timing.  They were already set to have a new TV deal done while also starting a 17 game season but the pandemic through a wrench into everything.  It just added something else to factor into. 

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

Rumors suggest it could end up being as high as 200-210M, dependent heavily on the 17th game and TV deals. Idk if that'll end up happening but at this point any rise is a huge plus. 

48 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Where have you seen that? 

44 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Heard, various sports podcasts, pure speculation at this point 

I think ppl (esp media) are mixing up the 2021 & 2022 caps.   The 2022 cap is likely go well above 210 - because after 2022 the entire slate of games gets the new TV money.   That’s going to be a massive boost.  

This year the MNF game(s) get new money.   The 17th game is the other source.  

FWIW Denver NFLPA rep Brandon McManus standing on 188M as the 2021 number.   Still a nice bump from the original estimated 175M. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, jrry32 said:

The smart move would be to freeze the cap this year and push losses forward. The cap is going to jump dramatically in the future with the new TV deals and revenues normalizing after the pandemic. Having a dramatic drop this year followed by the cap exploding will only wreak havoc. Teams will be forced to make a bunch of moves this year to get under the cap and players in FA will not have a great market (leading to a bunch of short-term deals). Freezing the cap is the smart play. But this is the NFL, so they'll probably make the stupid and greedy play.

That's a whole big can of worms that I doubt gets opened. Outside of the players in this free agency class, I doubt that the NFLPA has the appetite to give up what it would take. 

1 hour ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

I guess they're looking at the start of FA as the target for when they need to have the finalized cap number by but it seems insane to me that there's no definitive number yet. For teams trying to re-sign FA's right now or else decide whether they want to use the franchise tag (which teams can start using next week), you sorta need to know what the salary cap is in order to structure the contracts accordingly and/or make decisions on the tag. This just seems so utterly haphazard and is getting in the way of teams being able to fully move on offseason plans. 

I'm sure all the teams have a good enough idea of around what the cap will be to plan most of those kinds of moves, though. It's isn't like $2M or $3M is going to break a team's offseason plan.

1 hour ago, Jakuvious said:

I'm sure all the teams have a good enough idea of around what the cap will be to plan most of those kinds of moves, though. It's isn't like $2M or $3M is going to break a team's offseason plan.

Yeah I guess it partly depends on how precise an idea teams already have. If it's a difference of $2 or $3 million like you say then it probably doesn't matter. But if there's still a range of outcomes across a ~$10 million range where it could be anywhere from 180 to 190m for example - then that can be the difference between deciding to re-sign someone or not, basically. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli

8 hours ago, Forge said:

That's a whole big can of worms that I doubt gets opened. Outside of the players in this free agency class, I doubt that the NFLPA has the appetite to give up what it would take. 

It shouldn't be the NFLPA giving up anything. It should be the owners looking out for their own teams. Spread the losses over future years. Both sides win.

Just now, jrry32 said:

It shouldn't be the NFLPA giving up anything. It should be the owners looking out for their own teams. Spread the losses over future years. Both sides win.

Don't think that owners have a problem with this though. If the PA is borrowing against future years, the Owners will make them pay for it. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Don't think that owners have a problem with this though. If the PA is borrowing against future years, the Owners will make them pay for it. 

The owners likely don't have a problem with the cap dropping because they're greedy and shortsighted. But it's likely to hurt their own interests more than the players'. 

31 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

The owners likely don't have a problem with the cap dropping because they're greedy and shortsighted. But it's likely to hurt their own interests more than the players'. 

They are seemingly oblivious to the deteriorating quality of their own product and think people will just keep shoveling the gruel into their mouths into perpetuity.

• Like 1