Wentz traded to the Colts for 2021 3rd Rounder and conditional 2022 2nd Rounder

SalvadorsDeli

1 hour ago, EvilenFroggen said:

I can't tell if it was legitimately something from Doug and the team that made him feel this way, or if Wentz was just too weak mentally to deal with that situation, but it certainly feels like it was the latter.  That doesn't instill confidence going forward.

I would agree. This past season especially, it looked like he was mentally defeated more than anything. Down years happen but this was just atrocious. And for him to play like the worst QB in the league then try to force his way out like it wasn't his fault, that's just another level of mental weakness.

I'm hoping Reich + the change of scenery gets him back on track, but I foresee it being an uphill battle.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Art_Vandalay said:

I would agree. This past season especially, it looked like he was mentally defeated more than anything. Down years happen but this was just atrocious. And for him to play like the worst QB in the league then try to force his way out like it wasn't his fault, that's just another level of mental weakness.

I'm hoping Reich + the change of scenery gets him back on track, but I foresee it being an uphill battle.

It sucks when the team brings in competition, especially when the move is inspired by your own bad play.  But sack up, man.  That's what good teams do.  And to cry about it and want to leave?  What exactly have you done in the league to justify that kind of action?

4 hours ago, eagles18 said:

Its hard to be an eagles fan. We got more out of Sam Bradford to the Vikings

Had he not had the deadlines with his bonus + making his 2022 salary guaranteed, they would've waited it out.
You only get that when teams are desperate.

Could've waited to see who failed to get a QB and would be out of position to draft one and get more.
But it is what it is.

1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

I'll give you that, Skippy.  I guess I may have a flawed perception of the fans in Philadelphia because of 2017.  They did have fans who threw unopened beer cans at the Vikings.  While I don't doubt that this kind of thing can happen anywhere, it just seemed like there were a lot of fans, even here on FF, who were defending that as what it meant to be a fan in Philadelphia, and that Vikings fans were weak-kneed wimps for complaining about it.  I know for a fact that we have PLENTY of knuckleheads roaming the streets in downtown Minneapolis.  The thing is, it just seems like they would be frowned upon by most of the fan base in Minnesota if they did something like the beer can thing here.

We have plenty of aholes, there really is no getting around that. But every fanbase does. I think people get off on being tougher than other cities. It's a lot to do with how Philly is built, it's one of the major cities of the country but operates way more as one tied together thing rather than say New York, LA or Chicago. There is a hyperfocus on the teams that is a lot different than other places, especially from the west coast and central part of the country outside of Dallas. It works both for and against the players and teams. People will fight to defend you against any outsider, but be even tougher on you if you aren't playing up to your ability. 

I think the issues between the Vikings and Eagles fandoms was very overblown but was just a bad mix.
It was gonna be bad once it was seen as the Vikings fans starting it at the art museum, and the way the game went just made it worse. Minnesota was so high after the miracle finish and then got stomped and embarrassed, so I get why Vikings fans were raw and didn't want the heat they got. Here on FF we played into the meme of it knowing we were all well removed from the degenerates doing it and it seemed like Vikings fans couldn't take the loss well. It's not like we have any control over some kids who probably didn't even live in the city (often the case with stuff like that) coming in and doing that stuff. 

To say it's not difficult to play here is a lie, however most people outside Philly don't follow it up with that it can also be one of the best places to play if you play hard and show the love back. Wentz couldn't handle to tough love, he wasn't the first and won't be the last. It's not a great thing but it is what it is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EvilenFroggen said:

It sucks when the team brings in competition, especially when the move is inspired by your own bad play.  But sack up, man.  That's what good teams do.  And to cry about it and want to leave?  What exactly have you done in the league to justify that kind of action?

I think he didn't like Pederson cause Pederson was awkward and horrible at managing the lockerroom and just made things worse for Carson.

I remember like week 12 Pederson came out and praised Wentz for being vulnerable with his teammates and the whole quote just worked to make Wentz look soft. No idea why Pederson said that at all.

Edited by Kirill

Just now, Kirill said:

I think he didn't like Pederson cause Pederson was awkward and horrible at managing the lockerroom and just made things worse for Carson.

I remember like week 12 Pederson came out and praised Wentz for being vulnerable with his teammates and the whole quote just worked to make Wentz look soft. No idea why Pederson said that at all.

Doug was very bad at press conferences, he most of his time here was good at handling the lockerroom though. It was like one of his best qualities. Part of the reason why he got fired was because he was losing that, but most of his time here he had that control at least.

9 hours ago, ravishingone said:

Really good deal for the Colts, if Wentz works out it is a late first.  

Except he won't work out. Stupid move by the Colts. If (I say if) Wentz stays healthy, he might (might) be good enough to get them to the playoffs at BEST. No more. And even that's unlikely. Does anyone seriously see Wentz winning a SB? No way. This is fool's gold for the Colts. I don't wish injury on anyone, but him not staying healthy and dumping him ASAP would be their best outcome. They just pissed away 2 good draft picks (potentially a #1) and possibly years of frustration. Eagles know what they're doing. Hurts has way more upside.

Edited by bomont

Hard not to like this trade for both sides taking a step back. I mean fans in Philly will Always question how it got this bad with Wentz.

He was on a Josh Freeman like tragectory, there was not a bidding wars, he was benched for poor play, hasn't spoken in 3 months, I could go on and on. He wasn't gonna right the ship their and the talent around him was supar.

Colts have most of the pieces in place and he won't have to play hero ball nearly as much. The run game will be way more efficient because of the line being better and Taylor doesn't have the ball Security issues Sanders does.

If he can even be a top 15 qb this trade is a steal and his ceiling is probably higher than that.

6 hours ago, childofpudding said:

Also, Colts w/Wentz is simply not an upgrade over Colts w/Rivers. They're not getting past Mahomes unless Wentz returns to MVP form, which is highly unlikely.

1 hour ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

Colts with Jacoby Brissett beat Chiefs with injured Patrick Mahomes so never say never 

3 observations:

1.  If the Colts have a complete team elsewhere, they don't need MVP level QB, but better-than-Baker level play.   They need a guy who can make the big throw, and bring a team back.  Wentz actually showed that ability in 2019.  He's just not maintained it (duh), and more importantly, he's regressed badly this year.   Now if there's a guy who could fix him - Reich's the best guy.    

2.  Indy lacks only 3 things to be a very complete team IMO - a big-play (not deep, but makes the key play) WR, a true EDGE threat to complete Buckner & Houston (Houston can't the alpha EDGE guy), and a T to replace Costanza.  FA is there for WR if IND wants, but I actually think Pittman fills that role, absolute dog IMO.   Keeping 1.21, I'd be shocked if they didn't go T, it's a deep class (and pairing rookie with LG Nelson is a recipe for success).    As for EDGE, I'd think hard about going after an Ingram/Barrett type rusher over WR (but I don't think Barrett leaves Tampa, Ingram could).

3.  With IND's power running attack, their OL, and their D, they have a ton of the elements needed.  Upgrading their EDGE rush is the only missing piece on D IMO, although a healthy Malik Hooker would do wonders to increase their playmaking in the secondary.   With Buckner, DL pressure, and a run game / great OL that can exploit KC's run D weakness, is a major setup for success.    By not trading away their Rd1-2 picks, they have a shot to address T, and if they choose, get a DL guy Rd2, or another WR if they are worried Parris Campbell isn't the answer.

Having said all the above, what really makes teams go deep in playoffs is they can win in all facets of the game.   Wentz has to be at least the 2H 2019 version, without the bonehead throws, to elevate the Colts pass game to that level.   That's a fair Q to ask if it can be done.  But if there's a HC who's got the best shot, it's Reich.   It certainly wasn't happening with teams like Chicago & Nagy (sorry a big nope there).   It's not surprising to hear they bowed out.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1