Wentz traded to the Colts for 2021 3rd Rounder and conditional 2022 2nd Rounder

11 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

So basically it'll be a 3rd this year & a 2nd next year, cause Wentz will be injured by week 10.

I give the win to Philly on this trade. Wentz is cooked physically & probably mentally as well.

I don't know who will win the AFC South next season.

But I can tell you, who it isn't going to be.

carson only didnt play 75 of the snaps in one year of his career so very likely to be a first assuming he doesnt completely suck

I hadn't been paying much attention to Wentz in 2019 until the game at Miami. What a disaster. I couldn't believe how inept his mechanics were. So bad it almost looked like a golfer intentionally aiming out of bounds. Ridiculously high elbow, leading to no variance of trajectory or touch. Tunnel vision, meaning that even if there was a window for his errant throws he wasn't finding it. I spent the remainder of that season ripping Wentz on a Dolphins site

2020 was an easily predictable extension of late season 2019, except slightly worse

There were several sharp guys here last season saying Frank Reich was easily the best remedy for Wentz. I agreed. Very good value for the Colts even though I doubt it will pay off in 2021. The Colts figure to regress anyway, after going from 7 wins in 2019 to 11 in 2020. That means 75% chance of decline, even if the quarterbacking had remained the same. 

This is hardly a Daniel Jones situation with a perpetual 6.5 YPA no matter the level or surroundings. Wentz was incompetent recently but during his second season he was among the best quarterbacks in the league until the injury against the Rams. Overall I'd say this is the most interesting quarterback reclamation project since Jim Plunkett with the Raiders. However, the league has changed to severely you can no longer stash a former high level quarterback on the bench for two full years to mend his mechanics and confidence, as Al Davis did with Plunkett.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, mrscottso said:

This was a good move by the Colts imo. The Eagles had the 19th ranked OL last season, the Colts were ranked 7th. I fully expect Wentz to have a bounce back year. 

Yeah he'll definitely have better protection considering we trotted out a different starting 5 every week of the season due to injuries.

• Like 1

Adam Schefter said that the Bears didn't even make an offer for Wentz so it was a one-team negotiation the whole way.  The Colts will assume balance of $128m extension and $10M bonus.  Eagles will eat $33.8M in dead cap, which is a league record

Edited by Uncle Buck
1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

Adam Schefter said that the Bears didn't even make an offer for Wentz so it was a one-team negotiation the whole way.  The Colts will assume balance of $128m extension and $10M bonus.  Eagles will eat $33.8M in dead cap, which is a league record

The balance left, to be clear is 4/98M.      That’s what the Colts pick up.   The 10M roster bonus that comes due in March  is part of that 98M.    

The Philly dead money was already a sunk cost.   They did save 24M in guaranteed money next year with this deal. 

Incredibly misleading numbers presented by Graziano. That’s a really poor explanation.     

19 hours ago, EvilenFroggen said:

It sucks when the team brings in competition, especially when the move is inspired by your own bad play.  But sack up, man.  That's what good teams do.  And to cry about it and want to leave?  What exactly have you done in the league to justify that kind of action?

Wentz is definitely no Drew Brees. The latter took it very personally after Rivers was drafted in 2004. And we know the rest.

11 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Wentz is definitely no Drew Brees. The latter took it very personally after Rivers was drafted in 2004. And we know the rest.

Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady are both pretty good examples of this too, albeit they were both older, but given Carson’s injury history, having a good backup is a very reasonable thing to prioritize. 

it’s come out recently that he didn’t talk to Doug Pederson for 8-9 weeks during the season.  Hearing that is just comically pathetic, but also would make sense for just how unusually poor his performance was this past season. He literally played like he was trying to get people fired or himself traded. Well, mission accomplished I guess, he succeeded on both fronts.

I’m not much of a Doug guy, but generally speaking, the players loved him. Carson seems like he had more of an axe to grind with the FO, but hearing the stories out of this just paints him in such a negative light. Maybe it’s Eagles PR at work, but you have to wonder about his mental toughness. 

13 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Hard not to like this trade for both sides taking a step back. I mean fans in Philly will Always question how it got this bad with Wentz.

He was on a Josh Freeman like tragectory, there was not a bidding wars, he was benched for poor play, hasn't spoken in 3 months, I could go on and on. He wasn't gonna right the ship their and the talent around him was supar.

Colts have most of the pieces in place and he won't have to play hero ball nearly as much. The run game will be way more efficient because of the line being better and Taylor doesn't have the ball Security issues Sanders does.

If he can even be a top 15 qb this trade is a steal and his ceiling is probably higher than that.

The trade itself.  Sure, whatever we got some value out of him, i guess.

But every Eagles fan should be irate about the way our FO handled the entirety of the situation. 

This was the same regime that preached emotional intelligence after firing Chip Kelly. The irony is palpable, and I say that as someone that also feels like there is a huge amount of accountability from Carson’s end in causing this situation.

4 minutes ago, BLick12 said:

The trade itself.  Sure, whatever we got some value out of him, i guess.

But every Eagles fan should be irate about the way our FO handled the entirety of the situation. 

This was the same regime that preached emotional intelligence after firing Chip Kelly. The irony is palpable, and I say that as someone that also feels like there is a huge amount of accountability from Carson’s end in causing this situation.

Oh no doubt Howie just traded the only probowler he's drafted since 2013. And emotional intelligence that's good lol. It feels the worse a front office gets the less transparent they are with fans. 

We still have no clue what happened behind the scenes I'd love to hear Carson's side the most recent article was he no longer trusted howie's decision making. I'd love to know what happened between the end of 2019 and the draft something besides the concussion happened.

4 hours ago, mrscottso said:

How do you feel about the trade?

I am happy about it especially now that I know it was only a one team negotiation. Getting a likely 1st rounder and a 3rd rounder is beyond what I expected. And I expected it to be more than one team involved.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Pandrew87 said:

Your hatred of the colts is amusing.  They have a great team already. If they can even get average play from Wentz they're a threat.

I don't hate the Colts, I'm just realistic about how good Wentz is. The Bills have a much better offense outside of the OL, and their D isn't far behind the Colts, if it's behind at all.
Who is Wentz going to throw the ball to? Michael Pittman? Woopty do. The Colts offense is going to be average,