Raiders re-sign David Irving

On 2/21/2021 at 11:33 AM, oakdb36 said:

Irving doesn't change anything for our needs. You're all setting unrealistic expectations on that guy when it's just a minor depth signing until he shows anything on the football field. Then you'll be the firsts to whine about it when he does nothing.

Not sure who this was directed at? But I agree. Irving is a depth player who can hopefully regain form. Still need to address the position in a big way. 

I don't like the iDL or safety prospects at 17 overall. Good prospects, but no real standouts to consider. I'm liking the edge class value at 17 far more. Wouldn't be terribly upset at OT either.

Hoping they address DT and FS in free agency to be flexible in the draft.

Right now, I'm liking Phillips and Ojulari. Keep adding pass rushers until they stick.

• Like 1

Good article: https://theathletic.com/2402314/?source=twitterhq

He certainly has confidence:

Those close to Irving say that he wants to be a star player in Las Vegas — for a playoff team. 

“He just wanted to get through last season and have the best offseason of his life,” Weinberg said. “And that’s where he is right now. No one saw what David Irving was capable of last year, but Gruden and Mayock know what they have in David.”

Irving is indeed working hard on what’s become an extended fresh start in Las Vegas.

“I am really excited to be in the perfect situation,” he said. 

Also backs Collins. I'd bring him back for a mulligan. Something clearly wasn't right with him last season. 

“I know that Maliek didn’t have the best year, but no one really did,” Irving said. “No one really believed in him at Dallas at first either, but we put in a lot of extra work together on our line movements and stunts, and he flourished under Marinelli. 

“Pass rush is a team effort, and you have to learn how to manipulate the offensive line and their scheme together. I promise you that Maliek will play better as we play better as a defensive line as a whole.”

• Like 1
3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I don't like the iDL or safety prospects at 17 overall. Good prospects, but no real standouts to consider. I'm liking the edge class value at 17 far more.

You don't think Barmore is a good value at 17? And I personally think #17 is a little rich for a RT. 

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

You don't think Barmore is a good value at 17? And I personally think #17 is a little rich for a RT. 

He's not a surefire top 20 player for me, but there is big potential. A lot of the edge guys would be good at 17 IMO, but I would understand why we might go Barmore and wouldn't hate it.

41 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

He's not a surefire top 20 player for me, but there is big potential. A lot of the edge guys would be good at 17 IMO, but I would understand why we might go Barmore and wouldn't hate it.

I think his ceiling is extremely high, Chris Jones lite. That's worth #17 to me. 

DTs very rarely have a smooth transition to the pros anyway. For example, Derrick Brown struggled early last season and Kinlaw was far from an impact player as a rookie. It's the same thing more often than not. If you believe one of those DTs can develop into a dominant one, 17 isn't too high. You probably shouldn't expect a great rookie season though.