2021 Sign, Draft or Promote - Starting Safety

swede700

How should the Vikings handle the starting safety spot opposite Harry?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. How should the Vikings handle the starting safety spot opposite Harry?

• Re-sign Anthony Harris
    • Sign an external free agent (Specify preference in thread)
    • Draft a new starting S
    • Promote Josh Metellus
    • Other (specify preference in thread)

I voted draft. Hopefully they double-dip as the depth is nothing special currently.

I know it's a long shot but I wouldn't mind bringing Jayron Kearse back. I know he wanted out and he had the suspension and DUI/DWI thing but maybe he'd be open to a reunion. Guy made some nice plays when afforded the opportunity.

1 hour ago, dc_vikingfan said:

Nasirildeen could be a good fit next to Smith. Smith freelancing need to paired with someone sound in coverage. Nasirildeen need to add weight but is a good tackler, and play well in zone.

I'd like Hamsah a lot more if he bulked up and played as a WILL linebacker or sub package Sam.  His coverage leaves a lot to be desired.  If we are going to more single high safety looks, he'd be a good box defender.

9 hours ago, RpMc said:

I'd like Hamsah a lot more if he bulked up and played as a WILL linebacker or sub package Sam.  His coverage leaves a lot to be desired.  If we are going to more single high safety looks, he'd be a good box defender.

I agree Hamsah is not a safety at all in the NFL and will most likely move to linebacker, he does not have the coverage skills no way.  And the Vikings want Harrison Smith around the line of scrimmage and able to move around, so they need a safety that can play back deep in coverage and Hamsah is not that guy unless they are switching how they play defense and play 5 DBs and he would be the 3rd safety and or OLB type.  Richie Grant would be ideal but doubt he is there in the 3rd for the Vikings.

On 2/19/2021 at 11:29 AM, SteelKing728 said:

I want Keanu Neal. He was my top target for us in 2016.

I'm not opposed to Paris Ford either lol

Yeah in my more up to date version I have the Vikings taking him 3rd round.  They would have to and all honestly outside of that 1st pick the next selection should be safety.  They would be in deep crap if they do not get a star safety in this draft because Metellus is not the answer and that is it for guys even on the roster.  Maybe Dorn could do it but never seen him play in a real game yet obviously.  

Harris is as good as gone I feel at that high price point, and really did not play all that great last year anyway compared to the year before because he could not be as aggressive with the young corners.

CB though they got youth and depth with Gladney, Dantzler, Hand and Boyd along with Hughes for another year and maybe Jones or Fields.  Safety is just Harrison and that is it so they have to get someone, Ford could be a great pick, or Jamar Johnson 3rd round.  Sherwood also but he is more a SS and they need a coverage safety, not really Ford but could be the best there in the 3rd.  

JR Pace could be another decent later round safety, same with Kary Vincent Jr.  Ar'Darius Washington I would not mind later in the draft.  And UDFA safeties could be Brad Stewart, Shaun Crawford, Lamont Wade or Shawn Davis.  Would not mind Brandon Drayton either he is a hit man.  

Could argue safety might be the #1 need on the team if Harris walks.  Because I have more faith in Samia, Udoh, Hinton or Bailey starting for the Vikings than I do Metellus starting or Dorn.  That is sad but even Samia who played poorly has shown more ability than Metellus who barely ever played and Dorn who has never played in a NFL game yet.  Both in college were good but nothing great at safety and until they can show they can play the position at this level that is a massive question mark for the team.  

Jevon Holland is probably the only safety I would even consider at 14, especially if he times out well because his 2019 tape is pretty impressive.  Is he better than the available OL or DL at that spot, hard to say.  Moehrig is getting hype for the 1st round but Holland if he played in 2020 would be the best prospect I feel, again if he times out well could make it a lot safety bet, especially if he shows 4.4 speed range.  

Edited by Ozzy
  • Like 1

On 2/23/2021 at 6:53 PM, Ozzy said:

I agree Hamsah is not a safety at all in the NFL and will most likely move to linebacker, he does not have the coverage skills no way.  And the Vikings want Harrison Smith around the line of scrimmage and able to move around, so they need a safety that can play back deep in coverage and Hamsah is not that guy unless they are switching how they play defense and play 5 DBs and he would be the 3rd safety and or OLB type.  Richie Grant would be ideal but doubt he is there in the 3rd for the Vikings.

Yeah in my more up to date version I have the Vikings taking him 3rd round.  They would have to and all honestly outside of that 1st pick the next selection should be safety.  They would be in deep crap if they do not get a star safety in this draft because Metellus is not the answer and that is it for guys even on the roster.  Maybe Dorn could do it but never seen him play in a real game yet obviously.  

Harris is as good as gone I feel at that high price point, and really did not play all that great last year anyway compared to the year before because he could not be as aggressive with the young corners.

CB though they got youth and depth with Gladney, Dantzler, Hand and Boyd along with Hughes for another year and maybe Jones or Fields.  Safety is just Harrison and that is it so they have to get someone, Ford could be a great pick, or Jamar Johnson 3rd round.  Sherwood also but he is more a SS and they need a coverage safety, not really Ford but could be the best there in the 3rd.  

JR Pace could be another decent later round safety, same with Kary Vincent Jr.  Ar'Darius Washington I would not mind later in the draft.  And UDFA safeties could be Brad Stewart, Shaun Crawford, Lamont Wade or Shawn Davis.  Would not mind Brandon Drayton either he is a hit man.  

Could argue safety might be the #1 need on the team if Harris walks.  Because I have more faith in Samia, Udoh, Hinton or Bailey starting for the Vikings than I do Metellus starting or Dorn.  That is sad but even Samia who played poorly has shown more ability than Metellus who barely ever played and Dorn who has never played in a NFL game yet.  Both in college were good but nothing great at safety and until they can show they can play the position at this level that is a massive question mark for the team.  

Jevon Holland is probably the only safety I would even consider at 14, especially if he times out well because his 2019 tape is pretty impressive.  Is he better than the available OL or DL at that spot, hard to say.  Moehrig is getting hype for the 1st round but Holland if he played in 2020 would be the best prospect I feel, again if he times out well could make it a lot safety bet, especially if he shows 4.4 speed range.  

Perhaps they got a good look at him while they were scouting Troy Dye.  He made a lot of picks in this video but a lot seemed to be on really poor throws or throws affected by the QB getting blasted as he was throwing.

Side note:  does anyone else think the Oregon "Wing" helmets look really lame?

19 minutes ago, NoDakViking said:

Perhaps they got a good look at him while they were scouting Troy Dye.  He made a lot of picks in this video but a lot seemed to be on really poor throws or throws affected by the QB getting blasted as he was throwing.

Side note:  does anyone else think the Oregon "Wing" helmets look really lame?

I think most of what Oregon does is lame.  I like a little variety, but they went over the top.  I understand why the kids like it, but it's too much for me.  But, hey, I guess without it, they'd be the same trash program they were prior to Bellotti.     

I watched a Trevon Moehring highlight reel immediately after that Jevon Holland reel and he immediately reminded me of someone-- Harrison Smith.

He has a pretty solid build and always seems to be breaking on the ball and disrupting plays.  He would be tempting if we traded back and didn't have such needs on the OL and DL 

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

I think this position is going to be the most interesting decision of the offseason. Zimmer/Spielman have just not shown a real urgency to invest in this spot. Even the last minute franchise tag on Harris last year came as a surprise to many. 

I'll be interested to see what kind of offers Harris is even going to get in the market after his "down" year.  I can't imagine it's going to be as lucrative as he originally intended.

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I'll be interested to see what kind of offers Harris is even going to get in the market after his "down" year.  I can't imagine it's going to be as lucrative as he originally intended.

I don’t think the offers will be great. But, I’m not sure I’d want him back. 

10 hours ago, NoDakViking said:

I watched a Trevon Moehring highlight reel immediately after that Jevon Holland reel and he immediately reminded me of someone-- Harrison Smith.

He has a pretty solid build and always seems to be breaking on the ball and disrupting plays.  He would be tempting if we traded back and didn't have such needs on the OL and DL 

Harrison Smith?  Harrison Smith on Notre Dame was basically a linebacker and hit like a ton of bricks, played around the line of scrimmage a lot and literally was a linebacker early in his career.   I was honestly surprised about the range he has shown in the NFL though, was curious why he only had 7 INTs and they all came in that one year in college, his senior season on Notre Dame was a disappointment no question in pass coverage.   Has developed into a great safety though and is probably a future HOF player.

Either way Moehrig does not hit like a ton of bricks like Harrison did, is not nearly as powerful and could never play linebacker or really close to the line of scrimmage consistently.  But the Vikings need a coverage safety and he has great range and is a sound tackler when asked.  I just think Holland if he times out well has shown to be more of a playmaker and some of the hits he can do are pretty powerful and impressive, even has slot coverage ability.  But again the 40 time is key to show who is the better athlete overall, Moehrig has great range and is very smooth.  Honestly whoever runs better kind of in some ways proves to be a potentially safety pick if they do indeed want to go safety that high in the draft.

With Holland, a safety who can play in the slot, yes please.

giphy.gif

And one who can tackle.

giphy.gif

Or one who can do something if he gets his hands on the football, yes please.

giphy.gif

Will be curious how he runs though and obviously wish he played this season but multiple defensive backs on Oregon sat out this year, Graham and Breeze did as well.  

On 2/18/2021 at 8:32 PM, NoDakViking said:

I wonder if Malik Hooker would be interested in a cheap one year prove it type deal.  He had a lot of hype coming out and could have some pressure taken off playing next to Smith.  

I also wonder if Hand or even Hughes would be a candidate to slide back to Safety.

I’m pounding the table to sign Malik Hooker to a cheap incentive deal.  IMO if he can stay healthy he can be a better player than Anthony Harris.  He has top 5-10 safety potential and I think we can get him for around $2-4 million apy.