Rams and Aaron Kromer agree to part ways

NVRamsFan

Alright now I'm officially getting worried about Mcvay possibly being too controlling. It was just a theory before since all of the other coaches leaving were for promotions but adding this to the report that he essentially forced the Stafford trade on the guys who wanted to keep Goff and we're treading on thin ice here. 

If he gets us a Superbowl, I could care less, but this one is headscratching. 

• Like 2

I’m not freaking out because great teams lose coaches all the time. The main guy is obviously McVay and I trust him. It’s not “blind trust” either. The guy has proven he can make the right hires. Wade was let go and he brought in Staley. LaFleur and then Taylor both left and McVay brought in O’Connell. So again I trust McVay will continue to make the right hires for this team. Not all will work out but for the most part there will be more hits than misses and the Rams will be more successful than failing as a team. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rrrrrrrams said:

the guy who blames all offensive issues on the ol is now scared because the ol coach leaves.

funny.

but this feels like something might be up with kromers health.

You do understand there is a difference between the talent of the players that a coach is given and the competence of the coach himself, right? 

Before we start with the sky is falling and theatrics, this is the first coach to actually "leave". Others went for new positions, promotions, or same title, more responsibility. And Kromer's son is staying on staff so I can't imagine that there is any bad blood between the two.

Kromer will be missed, but we have history of backfilling positions with success outside of Bonamego and that was corrected as soon as the following season was over. 

Edited by BStanRamFan
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Before we start with the sky is falling and theatrics, this is the first coach to actually "leave". Others went for new positions, promotions, or same title, more responsibility. And Kromer's son is staying on staff so I can't imagine that there is any bad blood between the two.

Kromer will be missed, but we have history of backfilling positions with success outside of Bonamego and that was corrected as soon as the following season was over. 

Very curious situation and for it to happen so late. Tweets from his family make it sound like they're shocked he was fired. 

44 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Or his son just doesn't have the credibility and experience his father does that will help him get a job pretty quickly. Again, the Mcvay being controlling thing is just a theory, but it's gaining some steam based off a few of the more recent reports. Hopefully it doesn't amount to anything. 

2 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Or his son just doesn't have the credibility and experience his father does that will help him get a job pretty quickly. Again, the Mcvay being controlling thing is just a theory, but it's gaining some steam based off a few of the more recent reports. Hopefully it doesn't amount to anything. 

If Kromer is going to interview for new jobs, he could bring his son with him (like he did with LAR). Can you share any of the reports you're referring to? I haven't seen anything other then him admitting he wanted to focus less on the defense (brought in Staley then replaced with vet Raheem Morris).

Not to mention, all the best coaches share these types of traits depending on how you want to look at it. Reid just handed over playcalling duties to Bienemy this past season, BB literally has a say in every position group, below is an excerpt on Sean Payton who is from the Parcell's coaching tree. There is nothing wrong with how McVay handles this team or his staff. If anything people are flocking to him in order to flip it into a HC position or promotion.

Payton also learned to appreciate the virtues of coaching through confrontation. Before that, Payton had generally avoided brutal honesty. But by the time he became New Orleans' coach in 2006, the way the book described it, "the former nerd's glare could now induce fear in his players and coaches ... he turned into a control freak, persnickety about every aspect of the organization." Payton's now-ex wife nicknamed him "Bill Parcells Jr."

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

If Kromer is going to interview for new jobs, he could bring his son with him (like he did with LAR). Can you share any of the reports you're referring to? I haven't seen anything other then him admitting he wanted to focus less on the defense (brought in Staley then replaced with vet Raheem Morris).

Not to mention, all the best coaches share these types of traits depending on how you want to look at it. Reid just handed over playcalling duties to Bienemy this past season, BB literally has a say in every position group, below is an excerpt on Sean Payton who is from the Parcell's coaching tree. There is nothing wrong with how McVay handles this team or his staff. If anything people are flocking to him in order to flip it into a HC position or promotion.

Payton also learned to appreciate the virtues of coaching through confrontation. Before that, Payton had generally avoided brutal honesty. But by the time he became New Orleans' coach in 2006, the way the book described it, "the former nerd's glare could now induce fear in his players and coaches ... he turned into a control freak, persnickety about every aspect of the organization." Payton's now-ex wife nicknamed him "Bill Parcells Jr."

I guess the only report I was referring to was the one about Mcvay overruling those in the FO that wanted to stick with Goff. You're right that there isn't technically a report out of this (yet), and the "staying on the headset until 15 seconds" theory was all just me trying to make sense of things. Still, it's starting to pile up. 

That being said, a Sean Payton type of coach is not the type of guy I want to root for. Again if he gets us a Superbowl, I could care less, but that type of mindset could also turn things in the wrong direction just as easily as they could go right. We just won't know which way it goes until it's already happened. 

2 minutes ago, JonStark said:

I guess the only report I was referring to was the one about Mcvay overruling those in the FO that wanted to stick with Goff. You're right that there isn't technically a report out of this (yet), and the "staying on the headset until 15 seconds" theory was all just me trying to make sense of things. Still, it's starting to pile up. 

That being said, a Sean Payton type of coach is not the type of guy I want to root for. Again if he gets us a Superbowl, I could care less, but that type of mindset could also turn things in the wrong direction just as easily as they could go right. We just won't know which way it goes until it's already happened. 

If you're referring to Bounty-gate, then yes I would agree with you. If you're just speaking generally about Sean Payton, I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't want to root for a top 5 HC in the league and perennial playoff contender. Seems a bit nitpicky that you wouldn't want to root for a successful HC because of a personality trait. However, McVay is trending to be a perennial playoff contender and top 5 coach if he isn't already. 

This could just be because of downtime in the offeason so we need something to talk about, but worrying about Sean McVay turning things in the wrong direction is the LAST thing I'm worried about with this team.

7 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

If you're referring to Bounty-gate, then yes I would agree with you. If you're just speaking generally about Sean Payton, I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't want to root for a top 5 HC in the league and perennial playoff contender. Seems a bit nitpicky that you wouldn't want to root for a successful HC because of a personality trait. However, McVay is trending to be a perennial playoff contender and top 5 coach if he isn't already. 

This could just be because of downtime in the offeason so we need something to talk about, but worrying about Sean McVay turning things in the wrong direction is the LAST thing I'm worried about with this team.

Seems a bit nitpicky that you have an issue on who I would like to root for. 😉

You know how there are guys you want to get a ring, like AD? There are also guys you root for because they help your team win, but don't have any sort of connection with. If Mcvay would happen to turn into a prick like Payton then I'd still root for him to get the Rams that ring, but I wouldn't really care whether he added that to his resume or not. I also despise Sean Payton though so you are taking the comparison to the extreme.