Random Thoughts - 2021 Offseason edition

dll2000

51 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

They drafted for future and Rodgers decided to show up.  And apparently a motivated Rodgers is still a stud.  

Yup. Another reason why it was such a great pick. 

52 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Their left tackle doesn’t get hurt in practice and GB probably wins SB last year.

Probably, yeah. 

I was just thinking best coach Bears have had is probably Hicks teaching Nichols how to play DL.

Raw 5th round prospect has been one of few Bears projects that is getting better over time instead of worse or stagnant.

Nagy needs to self scout how he practices.   He has to see that his young players are not improving fundamentally on the whole over time or at best are marginally better.

Some like Daniels have regressed at times which is crazy because he came in at like 20 yrs. old.  He should have improved by leaps and bounds under NFL coaching.

I don’t think all position coaches suck.  I think it is way Nagy practices.  Not enough live drill work and very little real time teaching that I see.  That I believe is the problem.  

Admittedly I only see youtube videos of many practice clips and watched one full practice.

But I have seen 1000s of football practices and these are same mistakes I see many average coaches make.

The results are the evidence.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I don’t think all position coaches suck.  I think it is way Nagy practices.  Not enough live drill work and very little real time teaching that I see.  That I believe is the problem.  

Are you sure it doesn't have as much to do with how he allocates playing time? Alex Bars looks good in the pre-season, come regular games he doesn't see the field. When Nagy was forced to put Bars in the lineup, Bars end up starting/in rotation. We see nothing of Artavius Pierce, then when Cohen goes down and Nall proves ineffective, Nagy has to put him out there, and Pierce does well. A slightly different story, but with similar parameters, for Brent Urban. We see this weird stuff happening continually. Anthony Miller looks like a total tool for two weeks in a row...but, he's still a starter, with basically the same reps. Mack has essentially been a JAG for significant chunks of the last two seasons, but hey, no reason to put someone else in there, right? 

34 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Are you sure it doesn't have as much to do with how he allocates playing time? Alex Bars looks good in the pre-season, come regular games he doesn't see the field. When Nagy was forced to put Bars in the lineup, Bars end up starting/in rotation. We see nothing of Artavius Pierce, then when Cohen goes down and Nall proves ineffective, Nagy has to put him out there, and Pierce does well. A slightly different story, but with similar parameters, for Brent Urban. We see this weird stuff happening continually. Anthony Miller looks like a total tool for two weeks in a row...but, he's still a starter, with basically the same reps. Mack has essentially been a JAG for significant chunks of the last two seasons, but hey, no reason to put someone else in there, right? 

That is a symptom of not having a type of practice whereas you can evaluate talent.  Even when they do they don’t do it.

I attended and watched a practice where Long literally lost every rep to every opponent the entire day.   But Long was still the unquestioned starter for some unknown reason.  

• Like 1

Random thoughts.  What if the media narrative about Pace and Nagy being on the hot heat is all fake news.  What if they convinced George to do a mini two year rebuild.  The plan being rebuild the Oline this year for a QB of the future in 2022 when we have some cap space.  

Edited by 41st ward Chicagoian

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

That is a symptom of not having a type of practice whereas you can evaluate talent.  Even when they do they don’t do it.

I attended and watched a practice where Long literally lost every rep to every opponent the entire day.   But Long was still the unquestioned starter for some unknown reason.  

I think Nagy looks to pedigree and size of contract before what actually is happening on the practice field. And he simply doesn't trust rookies, just out of hand. It's completely an old-school mentality. That sort of thinking annoyed me back in the old-school days, it drives me totally insane here in the present day. 

1 hour ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

Random thoughts.  What if the media narrative about Pace and Nagy being on the hot heat is all fake news.  What if they convinced George to do a mini two year rebuild.  The plan being rebuild the Oline this year for a QB of the future in 2022 when we have some cap space.  

This has occurred to me, too. No one should be at all surprised if this is a two year project, not a one year, do-or-die scenario. 

People are very impressed that QBs are throwing 4K.   But it doesn’t mean that much right now.  

Its funny that Goff got essentially benched and then traded and he threw almost 4K.   You have to compare eras with eras and what peers are doing in same circumstances.  

Babe Ruth hit 59 home runs when 2nd was like 21.  That is an impressive sports feat and why he is a legend. 

It does make recent Bears QB stats extra sad.

• Like 1

If you are advising a top recruit at OL or TE with NFL aspirations and you don't tell them to go to Iowa you are giving bad advice.

No staff in country produces more fundamentally sound out of the box players that maximize their abilities at those positions.

If I was a coach, and could do it, I would spend a year there to learn how they do what they do and how they teach it.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

If you are advising a top recruit at OL or TE with NFL aspirations and you don't tell them to go to Iowa you are giving bad advice.

No staff in country produces more fundamentally sound out of the box players that maximize their abilities at those positions.

If I was a coach, and could do it, I would spend a year there to learn how they do what they do and how they teach it.  

I should add that James Daniels and some other former players accused Iowa coaches of racism last offseason.   I also note, to be fair to Iowa coaches, that Daniels had nothing but good things to say when he left program, even drafting and publishing a public thank you letter to his coaches. 

That is extent of what I know about that.    He hasn't revisited the topic to date.  

Guess it's neither here nor there at the moment.   Anyway, they teach good fundamentals.

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

I should add that James Daniels and some other former players accused Iowa coaches of racism last offseason.   I also note, to be fair to Iowa coaches, that Daniels had nothing but good things to say when he left program, even drafting and publishing a public thank you letter to his coaches. 

That is extent of what I know about that.    He hasn't revisited the topic to date.  

Guess it's neither here nor there at the moment.   Anyway, they teach good fundamentals.

I mean, it's also about fit for the player. My cousin was a top TE recruit this past cycle and iowa was in his final 5 or so. he went for an unofficial visit but didn't feel like it would be best for him. It came down to Iowa, Wisconsin, Texas, Auburn, and UCLA for him. He went with Texas, with Wisconsin a close second. 

39 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

I mean, it's also about fit for the player. My cousin was a top TE recruit this past cycle and iowa was in his final 5 or so. he went for an unofficial visit but didn't feel like it would be best for him. It came down to Iowa, Wisconsin, Texas, Auburn, and UCLA for him. He went with Texas, with Wisconsin a close second. 

On a personal level yes of course.

If you want best teaching and prep at those positions for next level I would say Iowa is incomparable.