Where would you rank Bruce Arians among current HCs?

CP3MVP

4 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

That’s interesting. 

He also thinks Bill OBrien is better than Tomlin, so...yeah.

Im not Tomlins biggest fan, but this guy is a well known Tomlin hater and always has been.   Just nod and move along.

2 minutes ago, 43M said:

He also thinks Bill OBrien is better than Tomlin, so...yeah.

Im not Tomlins biggest fan, but this guy is a well known Tomlin hater and always has been.   Just nod and move along.

It's funny because:

1. Nothing you said is actually true from the Bill O'Brien claim that you can keep repeating to the fact that I always hated Tomlin because the reality is I was just fine with him in his first couple seasons. But it became clear after about 2012/13 that he wasn't growing as a coach, and it's become more apparent since which is kind of proven by the reality that...

2. Over the years, you've basically been forced to admit just about everything I said about the guy was true. So, we took the tail end of the Roethlisberger era and wasted it because some people couldn't admit it themselves that Tomlin was more talk than substance.

Arians turned Arizona into a winner. He immediately improved the Bucs and got them a Super Bowl within two years (granted, he inherited quite a bit of talent there). And for all his faults as  an offensive play caller, the Steelers never scored under 20 points in a playoff game with him at the helm. The offense actually performed better in the biggest games with him. And he was never working with the offensive talent that Todd Haley was in Pittsburgh.

Let's go back to Arizona. Arians quickly turned things around there. He brought in talent. He changed the culture. He didn't inherit a stable organizational structure, he actually built a program. All of this was done quickly. He built an offense that was one of the best in the league. And he didn't need 9 former first round draft picks on that side of the ball to do it like Tomlin did when he had to rebuild the Steelers defense. That took the great Tomlin over half a decade, and that same unit has grossly under performed in the post-season outside of one game against KC when they were starting Alex Smith at QB.

Arians has gotten results with three different organizations now as a head coach and he's done it almost immediately at each stop. It's clear where he puts his stamp on his teams.

Final point - this is now an offensive league and Arians' approach is better suited to today's game despite his age. Mike Tomlin is a dinosaur even though he's still relatively young at 48. Bruce Arians doesn't go into a playoff game against Cleveland planning to play a game of attrition.

So, in summary, hell yes I'd take Bruce Arians over Mike Tomlin as a head coach.

Aside from the obvious ~5ish top coaches, I wouldn’t take him over Shanahan, McVay, or McDermott. League is actually consisted of mostly newer coaches, so he’s pretty mid-tier for any of the established, non-elite coaches. Above McCarthy, Zimmer, Gruden, and maybe Rivera. Right in there with Vrabel, Reich, and LaFleur (who is very hard to judge IMO). Rest of the league has like, 2 years at most under their belt.

I feel like he’s a better HC than offensive mind if that makes any sense. He’s similar to Anthony Lynn in term of leadership and as a culture builder, but he’s extremely stubborn in his offensive scheme. When he has the talent and the right QB, it works well. But it feels archaic compared to a scheme like the Shanahan one. This was the first year I saw him change his ways. And that’s only because he had Tom Brady as his QB. It’s hard to argue against that much clout.