Rank the last 10 Super Bowl losers in order

CP3MVP

On 3/24/2021 at 11:52 PM, Nut said:

CAR's offense undeniably overachieved.

What does this have to do with 2015?  Them overachieving matters when projecting how well they will do in forward years, but it has no bearing on 2015.  Thus..

The fact they managed to score 500 points with Philly Brown, Ted Ginn and Devin Funchess as the top receivers and Jonathan Stewart as the starting RB is one of life's greatest mysteries. 

The fact that it is a mystery to you, does not take away from the final results.  They scored only 40 points less than the Falcons, yet allowed 98 fewer points.  

In comparison, the Ryan/Jones combination was always lethal before 2016 but somehow became an unstoppable force that year.

Again, what does "before 2016" have to do with 2016 itself?  We are focusing on how well a team did in their Super Bowl year, not how well they did in other years.  Besides, the Panthers made the playoffs in the 2 years before their Super Bowl appearance, and the Falcons missed the playoffs in 2014 and 2015.  It is odd to me how you keep talking about one team overachieving, when if anything, it was the Falcons who overachieved the most if we're basing it off how well the teams did in years surrounding that year. 

Hell, in the year after the Falcons Super Bowl, they finished 3rd in their own division by the Saints and... guess who?  The Panthers.  So even using the logic of "well, the Panthers overachieved," then explain to me what the Falcons did when the Panthers had more wins and success between 2013-2017?  

But again, it doesn't matter anyway, because we should just be focusing on 2015.

If anything, CAR's defense was more valuable than their offense. This was an 11-5/12-4 team, but do you expect anyone to believe they were legitimately one game short of 2007 NE?

Okay... and the Falcons were an 11-5 team.  So again, where is the argument of the '16 Falcons being better?

And bonkers to think the defense was more valuable than our offense.  Did you watch our games that year?  The defense was great, but they had a big tendency of collapsing late in games.  Go see the Colts, Giants, and playoff Seahawks game if you need proof.  They gave up a lot of big leads.  And the offense found ways to seal the deal in the end.  Both were each others equals.

Besides, even if the defense was more valuable than the offense, what is your point?  That they were an unbalanced team?  Falcons had the 27th ranked defense in the NFL by points and 25th by yards.  They were far, far worse defensively than the Panthers.  

ATL looked like they were going to blowout NE, the year where Brady's only loss was an epic goal-line stand, whereas CAR got curbstomped. Even though they were only down 16-10 at one point, the difference felt much more than that.

But they didn't blow them out.  They gave up a 28-3 lead.  And suffered a loss far more embarrassing than that of the Panthers.  

This shouldn't even be a debate, but it isn't surprising because people always underrate not only that team but the season Cam had (people get so caught up in the fact that he was never this good again, that they completely ignore that he WAS this good in 2015 - he was absolutely dominant, and I was saying that on this forum in the first half of that season even before his numbers began to reflect how well he was playing).  That year in 2015, they were undoubtedly the best team in the NFL , and they unfortunately ran into an absolutely terrible match-up for them (IMO they beat the '15 Patriots, that was the team I was hoping for).  Falcons were far from being considered at any point in 2016 the best team.  They were considered a team with a fire-hot offense and a bad defense.  And I don't think anyone would have favorited them if they had ended up playing the Cowboys.  Although Dak still being a rookie would definitely have made things interesting.

I get teams like the '14 Seahawks being ahead of them.  Seahawks were fantastic, as were the '20 Chiefs.  I'm not saying it is all about wins/losses.  But I just don't see any sound argument for putting the Falcons ahead of them.  They flat-out weren't as good.  

Edited by iknowcool

2014 Seahawks

2012 49ers

2013 Broncos

2019 49ers

2020 Chiefs

2015 Panthers

2011 Patriots 

2017 Patriots

2018 Rams

2016 Falcons

I mostly went with the well-balanced teams, Denver being an exception due to how potent their offense was, giving them the upper hand against other bad defenses with potent offenses. 2015 Panthers rank a bit low due to having the worst strength of schedule of the teams, but they are better than the last four for sure. 2014 Seahawaks and 2012 49ers have an overwhelming defense that should do pretty well. 

Edited by NeptunePenguins