Hue Jackson thread.

Kiwibrown

discuss hue Jackson things....

One aspect of our play design and execution that has been subpar is the TE screen to Njoku. 

He doesn't have the first step to be effective doing this. It has be proven 3 times. Here is a list of players on the Browns that are more appropriate to throw screens to. 

Louis, Williams, Coates, devalve, crow, Duke, Vitale, Britt, CC with one hand, Tregg, Dayes, Kevin Hogan, Smith (we don't have a smith, but we could find one better than Njoku to get the ball to). 

It is the worst play design and we keep doing it. 

Njoku needs to be used streaking up the middle of the field deep.  He can be a chunk player if used that way.  He and DeValve can both develop into a dynamic duo of TEs.  I like Telfer too.  One position on offense that I am excited about moving forward.

Njoku and Johnson are literally the only 2 offensive weapons we have that would get heavy rotation on any other NFL team with a real roster. I'm not a fan of the TE screen by any means, but Hue is the last guy I blame for the mess we're in - our front office is asking him to make chicken salad out of chicken poop.

I'm all about patience. I like the FO's plan and method so far although clearly they wiffed on Britt. I am worried about a few things in regards to the coaching.

The QB shenanigans, pick a guy for goodness sake.
The play calling, our ground game was working Sunday, Kevin Hogan and "third youngest rookie starter EVER" Kizer can't succeed throwing it 40 times.
The offensive system, seems too static and rigid, I expected Hue to be a "put the players where they're good" coach and so far he seems like a "my system or the road" coach.
The defensive scheme. What the #$%^&*@ #@$% is this @#$$%^&*? I get so pissed every time I see Peppers playing 35 yards deep (not an exaggeration!). Putting him there basically says, "run on us and it's 10 on 11, if we play zone just throw a corner route (the Fuller TD), and if we play man run a quick slant/post from the TE (Cinci did this alllll day). It's the dumbest thing I think I've ever seen scheme-wise at a professional level.

15 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

Nah.  It's an idiotic play, plain and simple.  This is one of several things Hue does that makes me doubt him as a coach.  The play looks terrible from start to finish and should be stopped last week.

Add to that his obsession with going for chunk plays, even when it's 3rd and 1.

Announcers (e.g., Dieken, whose knowledge of the game and insight I respect) are questioning this aspect of his play-calling.

I wonder what our QBs' combined completion and interception percentages are on throws 20+ yards?

I like Hue a lot, but I looks like he's lost the locker room and he knows it. Unless something miraculous happens, he's got to go. I hope im wrong because the FO, needs their fair share of the blame as well, one of the two needs to get the can. We play like a lion who's been caged for 5 years, we have that glazed over look as a team.

I just don't understand how we can be so incredibly awful week in and week out. It is more than personnel it's coaching too. Why are we throwing outside the numbers every play with a noodle armed QB. Crowell is terrible I'd just release him and Britt now. Run Njoku/Devalve/Williams/Higgins/Coates/Treggs/Louis out there and run easy pass concepts to get everyone's confidence going.

On defense it's clear Greg Williams is comparable to Rob Ryan. All bark no bite.

4 hours ago, pscottdai said:

So, the winless giants  and their HC who was doing both HC and play calling duties passes the play calling duties off to the OC and they win....

Not saying it would change anything here but it certainly doesn't hurt to try.

We don't have an OC.

Archived