2021 Sign, Draft or Promote - Starting Defensive Tackle (3T)

swede700

How should the Vikings handle the starting 3-technique?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. How should the Vikings handle the starting 3-technique?

• Re-sign Jaleel Johnson
    • Sign an external free agent (Specify preference in thread)
    • Draft a new starting 3T
    • Promote from within (Lynch or Mata'afa)
    • Other (specify preference in thread)

Moving on to the starting 3T defensive tackle position...

2020 depth at the position:  Jaleel Johnson, James Lynch, Hercules Mata'afa

2021 Outgoing Free Agents: Jaleel Johnson

Potential Free Agents Available: JJ Watt (not a chance, but I thought I'd throw it in), Kawann Short, Ndamukong Suh, Maliek Collins, Shelby Harris, DJ Jones

Potential Draftees:  Christian Barmore, Levi Onwuzurike, Jay Tufele, Daviyon Nixon, Marlon Tuipuloti, Marvin Wilson, Jalen Twyman

Now we know that there isn't a lot of money to spend in the free agent market, but what should the Vikings do to improve this position?  Sign a free agent, Draft a replacement, or Promote from Within?

I would love to get Atkins if release and draft DT using a Top 100 pick. I'm tired seeing QBs step or escape up the middle. I been saying that for years and it's time to invest more than mid round picks or Shamar. Twyman is the player I want.  A vet ala Atkins can start while Lynch/prospect can eventually takeover.  Mata'afa is a DE his play was better there     

If they can get a Kawann Short for the short term, it can drop down the list to the 3rd/4th round and another year of better development from Lynch.

Absolute home run would be to grab Sheldon Rankins.

If neither of those two options, it's absolutely in contention for #1 need on the team and pick 14 if there's a player (Barmore) who matches the value.

• Like 1

Mata'afa?  I thought he played DE this past year he was not a DT, did get some pressures which was nice and is an option as a backup DE in pass rush situations.  Sure ideally would be a DT pass rusher in nickel but not sure he can do it consistently.

Lynch for sure will be interesting how he develops, still wish they played him more at DE to see what he could do there as well on the edge.  Another option if they like Barr enough to give him another chance, use him as more a linebacker that drops down on the DE spot and plays multiple similar to a 4-2-5 defense.  Where it would be Barr sometimes rushing off the edge similar to a 3/4 defense and he being a 3/4 OLB and other times drops in coverage.  Then play Kendricks with that especially if they let Wilson walk.  

To do that they would need one if not two other safeties though so that could be an issue, or just play a nickel instead and have Gladney, Dantzler and Hughes all on the field, then Smith and a rookie safety most likely.

Not sure Zim would do that but worth playing with it they want to keep Barr in the mix and try to get some production out of him.  

I don't really like the 3T draft class, so I personally chose the FA route...with my preference being going for a boom or bust guy like Maliek Collins...he really underwhelmed last year with the Raiders, but was a decent player with the Cowboys prior to that.  He's young, still has upside, and will likely come cheap.