Sam Darnold

Bobby5o

Sam Darnold is a no for me, at least not at the price. I have no problem thinking he would improve, but my question is by how much. Bottom 5 in completion percentage, INT%, TD%, and AYD. Bottom 10 in AGG% (how often you throw into tight windows). So he throws short, to more open receivers, and turns the ball over at a high rate all while having a poor completion percentage. That's not a good mix. 

What level of improvement do you think you see? Dudes don't all of a sudden improve accuracy at alarming rates and the biggest jump they usually take is between year 1 and year 2. They generally stay within a 3% points of their first three year average on their careers. You kinda are who you are in terms of accuracy. I dont expect him to come in complete 67% of his passes and turn the ball over on 2% of his throws (which would still put him in the bottom half of the league). 

I don't like the ceiling I have in my head to trade a 2nd+ and take on his $10M cap hit. If he was cut, I'd love to take a stab at it. But I dont think the margin of growth is worth that price right now. 

It's a name I am fond of, but I would rather trade a pick for Minshew at his salary cost where he is greatly superior in all those categories without having a substantially better offense around him. Throws further down the field into tighter windows and has much better numbers. Has just under a $2M cap hit TOTAL for two years and should cost you less than a second to get. 

28 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I see a big improvement on those numbers TBH. The Jets had a worse line than us, worse running game, and Jamison Crowder was their best WR with everyone else being PS quality. 

Darnold was given ground chicken heads and asked to make Kobe beef. 

Yeah, I like Darnold. I think he'd be considerably better on another team.

32 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Yeah, I like Darnold. I think he'd be considerably better on another team.

Yep, agree. I think it's difficult to judge him on such a genuinely bad team.
Accuracy is also about timing, skill and play calling.
I also just think the overall environment with the Jets is tough.
Not a Minshew fan, by the way. I'd argue we've seen his ceiling.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mwalker said:

Yep, agree. I think it's difficult to judge him on such a genuinely bad team.
Accuracy is also about timing, skill and play calling.
I also just think the overall environment with the Jets is tough.
Not a Minshew fan, by the way. I'd argue we've seen his ceiling.

I agree on all parts, especially the Minshew point. He's a backup QB on a good team, or a starter on a terrible team. Minshew is not going to win a SB, and with the Steelers that is the annual goal. 

59 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Judging anything on stats right now is a mistake.

As is assuming "potential" hits for no reason whatsoever other than....potential is too. 

Stats are not the definitive, but the narrative they paint isnt a strong one. This isnt a one year sample size, its three years. He was the 32nd QB in aggressiveness percentage (throwing into tight windows), 26th in yards per attempt and 35th in expected completion percentage while being 6th worst in %differential. 

So that tells me he throws short into largely open windows and is one of the most inaccurate QBs in the league. No, I am not excited to think the future is vastly different than the presence. Add that into that is problems parallel the cons of his profile at USC and you dont have the story of a QB waiting to break out in the right opportunity. He was a one read passer in college who had trouble with pressure and his footwork going to hell. 

You can paint whatever picture of a reclamation project you want, chances are he isnt greatly different than he is now. And even a big jump could put him marginal at best. Im willing to take the chance at him, but not at that price. 

Most of that ignores the situation he is in with the Jets. You focus on certain stats out of his control. Should he force it into a crappy double covered WR to have a higher agg% throw? The Jets had NO downfield threat and the OL couldn’t block more than 3 seconds to let him throw deep. And again; expcomp% and actual comp% are dependent on the WR to some degree. 

12 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Most of that ignores the situation he is in with the Jets. You focus on certain stats out of his control. Should he force it into a crappy double covered WR to have a higher agg% throw? The Jets had NO downfield threat and the OL couldn’t block more than 3 seconds to let him throw deep. And again; expcomp% and actual comp% are dependent on the WR to some degree. 

And now your downplaying and ignoring his own struggles. I’m happy to consider that there’s is a middle ground. My problem is paying a high price (2nd rounder and immediate second QB contract) for what I believe is a marginal at best QB in that middle ground. 

I’m sure Tannahill’s path is the one you all hope he would follow, but Ryan largely had the same issues with coaching staff during his early tenure and had plenty of bright spots. He showed improvement every year to where a good coaching staff maximized his play in the right situation and he was a darn WR in college. He didn’t transform from a bad QB to a great one. He had a lot of ups and downs but had plenty of bright spots. So far, Darnold has downs through 3 years. I don’t see the diamond shinning in the rough. 

I never cared fro him but also never watched many jets games and lets remember how the jets were coached.  He might end up doing well with a new HC and a team that isn't tanking.   I expect Saleh to get the Jets near .500 and competitive with a good defence. Sorta pulling for them as the bad team to rebound. Every year there is one