Sam Darnold

Bobby5o

On 3/1/2021 at 3:10 PM, warfelg said:

I honestly can see him making an Alex Smith type jump. And if you are interested in winning, getting Darnold on a 2-year $24mil deal as a try out is better than some of the alternatives. 

Doubtful.   Very....especially when Canada could suck just as bad as Fitchner and Gase.

I have no problem with giving Darnold a  chance....but not for a 2nd rounder.   The chances of him remaining a bust are far greater than him becoming a long term quality starter.   

• 4 weeks later...

I just wanted to bring this one back to the fold as Darnold rumors intensify. 

If they are getting shot down for 2nd round picks, this idea starts getting more appetizing for me. I don't like the scenario provided in this thread because I don't think he is worth the second and an immediate pay jump. But theres absolutely a price I am willing to pay for a dice roll that he jumps in improvement. If we could get him for a lower round this year and maybe a conditional down the road (even if that condition is just simply being on the roster), I wouldn't mind this. Say a 4th this year and a 4th that turns into a 3rd if he is still on the roster in 2022. 

If they are going QB and that's their best offer -- Maybe that gets Darnold in our system for a year so we can see what he is and we can either commit to him and try to build without committing significant assets to the QB position in the draft or we cut bait for non-premier assets and move forward looking for a QB. 

5 minutes ago, jebrick said:

He would cost the Steelers 4.5M in 2021 but the problem would be the 5th year option of 18M.  Do you try to sign a reclamation project to a new, longer contract if he has not proven anything?

My problem isn't even the 5th year option, it's that it's guaranteed, and we don't have a guarantee that 2021 is Ben's last year.  So if Darnold was in the fold and Ben comes back, then you really are stuck with trying to give Darnold a contract without seeing what he can give you.

This is partially why I'm kinda wishing we just moved on from Ben.  Having Darnold with 2 years to see his progress would have been nice.

Ugh.  I'm so worried about Ben wanting to play more years than just 2021 and we keep just doing this same crap of kinda keeping the same team around hoping it actually works and gets hot.

25 minutes ago, warfelg said:

So if Darnold was in the fold and Ben comes back, then you really are stuck with trying to give Darnold a contract without seeing what he can give you.

If they traded assets for Darnold and were taking on the salary commitment on the 5th year, they have made their decision on Ben coming back. 

That's part of the reason I don't think Darnold happens, but it really depends on the conversations behind the scenes. 

12 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

If they traded assets for Darnold and were taking on the salary commitment on the 5th year, they have made their decision on Ben coming back. 

That's part of the reason I don't think Darnold happens, but it really depends on the conversations behind the scenes. 

See this goes back to my continual frustration with Ben back and let’s throw resources at that. 

Heck wasn’t it you that said at one point that you were tired of “vet days” and him taking every Wednesday off? And now you are ready for another year, maybe two, of this?

I don’t really care what Ben feels at this point. Take a QB to develop high in the draft or trade for Darnold/Minshew and put Ben on the damn clock. 

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

See this goes back to my continual frustration with Ben back and let’s throw resources at that.

I guess I am not sure how this is connected? It would be the same as drafting a QB this year in terms of resources being allocated for the future. 

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

Heck wasn’t it you that said at one point that you were tired of “vet days” and him taking every Wednesday off? And now you are ready for another year, maybe two, of this?

I absolutely do make that argument....but there's a really simple solution: make him practice Wednesdays. My issue with that is, having played the position, the physical strain they think they are alleviating is minimal but the reps he misses are substantial. 

My argument has been there are 100's of over ways to limit his physical work (which is already limited) without missing vital reps. No one else at THIS position takes these days off. Tom doesn't, Phil only did because he was actually hurt (and only did it minimally), Brees didn't....The rest of the offense suffers when the QB sits down, and that has shown down the stretch the last few years. 

And I never said the bold. 

I'd like the steelers to take a shot as sam, but the timing just doesn't work with ben still on the roster. I think they're gonna look at Haskins as the "1st RD QB who needs a change of scenery" project this yr. looking forward to seeing how he performs in camp/preseason. would be interesting if he took Mason Job

5 minutes ago, August4th said:

I'd like the steelers to take a shot as sam, but the timing just doesn't work with ben still on the roster. I think they're gonna look at Haskins as the "1st RD QB who needs a change of scenery" project this yr. looking forward to seeing how he performs in camp/preseason. would be interesting if he took Mason Job

I think they're looking at Haskins as "a bust we dont expect much from, but is young and cheap and we arent in position to improve the QB position, so why not?"

You are right about Darnold.  I just get the feeling some team is gonna offer something stupid for him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 43M said:

I think they're looking at Haskins as "a bust we dont expect much from, but is young and cheap and we arent in position to improve the QB position, so why not?"

You are right about Darnold.  I just get the feeling some team is gonna offer something stupid for him.

I didn't get people taking shots at the steelers for bringing Haskins in on a cheap deal. I feel like its a big win for us if he sticks on the roster as a decent number 2 QB for a few yrs. Worse thing that could happen is him failing in TC and gets cut, but its a easy out with the deal they gave him. its all reward/no risk for us

12 minutes ago, August4th said:

I didn't get people taking shots at the steelers for bringing Haskins in on a cheap deal. I feel like its a big win for us if he sticks on the roster as a decent number 2 QB for a few yrs. Worse thing that could happen is him failing in TC and gets cut, but its a easy out with the deal they gave him. its all reward/no risk for us

Honestly, I don't recall TOO many people taking shots at us.  Just the typical haters.  Any logical person could see it was a no risk move.   Even if we cut him before the season, it doesnt hurt.

42 minutes ago, warfelg said:

You mention Brady, Rivers, Brees....you realize Ben is in much worse physical shape than them injury wise right? Ben himself has literally said one of his knees is arthritic. 

Yes, but the point was that those were guys actually sustaining injuries as older QB's and still not missing practice often - except for Brady, he is just a machine. It took an actual injury for Rivers to take a DNP. Brees was on as LP with a shoulder minimally early in the year, but never missed and then was a FP immediately after his time on the IR. 

If his knees are that bad that he cannot take an LP on Wednesdays, what are we even talking about here? I'll say this part again: the physical strain they think they are alleviating is minimal but the reps he misses are substantial. My issue with Wednesdays is that I strongly believe they directly are impacting him physically in a negative manor rather than a positive one - which would be the reason to do it. The impact it also has on 1st team reads, concepts, and install is also a major flaw to the practice. 

They could easily turn Wednesday's into a LP day in which he takes 25-50% of the 1st team only snaps in 7s or live, doesn't work individuals or take run game reps, and he can operate in a modified snap for install and live sessions and hit the cold tub early.