Hindsight -- Draft 2020

James Lofton

5 minutes ago, cannondale said:

You think it's J.K Scott ? Of course it's because of 12. You know --- the current MVP of the whole damn league

I don’t know what to tell you man. You’re deluding yourself if you think we don’t have a top 5 roster in the league right now.

11 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

You are asking the wrong question. The run sets up the pass, the pass sets up the run, it's a team game.

Instead of looking for a RB who wins with a solo effort, look to how a good one impacts the whole team.

You are dancing. I never said the run game was not important. 

2 hours ago, cannondale said:

I gotta disagree. The window we have open right now is literally because of Aaron Rodgers. And I guess if you boil down my ramblings, roster construction is my main problem. Every year we talk about the defense and yet it never gets fixed. From not taking a DL in the strongest DL draft in history, to taking an H-Back and RB last year. These are mistakes IMO. And if you do go offense an OT might have been nice. And then there's the Love pick, which I am willing to cut a little slack. Barely

15 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Since when is that the argument ? 

21 minutes ago, cannondale said:

1. The DL draft I speak of is 2019. Gute signed Smith and Smith, Mike Daniels was out the door and we rolled with Lowry and Lancaster. The ILB have been below average since forever

2. When I speak of mistakes - I mean value. RB and H-back with premium picks ? This is not new thinking. Every year around draft time it's talked about. And I have asked every person that has disagreed to give me the last RB to lead a team to a Super Bowl and I never get a response. No surprise as there hasn't been one since forever. Grab one off the scrap heap if worse comes to worse.

The reason that nobody answers your question about RBs is because you will weasel your way out of it and say it was the defense, or that the QB wasn't that bad, or just deny the RB's importance to the Super Bowl run.

Who did you want instead of Dillon and Deguara?  Name them.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ThatJerkDave said:

The reason that nobody answers your question about RBs is because you will weasel your way out of it and say it was the defense, or that the QB wasn't that bad, or just deny the RB's importance to the Super Bowl run.

LOL. Typical

I've been pretty clear and concise with my thoughts. I'm just repeating myself at this point. I didn't think it would be popular, but neither was defending Rodgers 3 years ago. 

51 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I'm not a scout. I think I mentioned liking Blackstock (DL based) and Pittman Jr. in the 2nd. I also wondered and asked about Epensea. And I didn't like Love. But that carries no weight because I'm not a talent evaluator. My throwing darts are no better than anyone else's. I also thought Nate Stanley had arm talent and I liked his size and stature, so yea.  Plus, as I mentioned before and repeating myself, its more than one draft. I take a DL in 2019. I don't know what domino effect that would have had. All based on team building theory, nothing more. And repeating, I'm on the fix the defense or bust bandwagon. How important was the H-Back last year ? How important was the DL play ?

Edited by cannondale

7 hours ago, cannondale said:

You are dancing. I never said the run game was not important. 

You are the one with the fancy footwork. Did you forget you said this as a reason for not getting a RB

"And I have asked everyone that has disagreed to give me the the last RB to lead a team to a Superbowl and never got a response"

When I answered that it isn't about one guy in isolation, but how a RB impacts the team as a whole (my 'the run sets up the pass' post), you ignore what you yourself said and suggest it is me that is dancing ? Well at least you can no longer take the position that you never got a response, so I got that at least.

What we have as a bottom line, is that you have taken against certain picks, without giving them time to prove you right or wrong. It is not about a RB winning in isolation, it is about how he helps the team. Love was an attempt at QB future-proofing and Dillon an attempt at RB future proofing, because the Packers could see what was likely coming...........in other words trying to take care of the future, as well as the now.

The more you ignore the future for the now, the more you tend to get into cap trouble, the more you reach for picks (gotta have a guy at position x right now, even though there are better guys on the board)........... and the more you get caught out when the future grinds forward until it becomes 'the now', and you (or rather your team) is left in an impossible position.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

I'm not a scout. I think I mentioned liking Blackstock (DL based) and Pittman Jr. in the 2nd. I also wondered and asked about Epensea. And I didn't like Love. But that carries no weight because I'm not a talent evaluator. My throwing darts are no better than anyone else's. I also thought Nate Stanley had arm talent and I liked his size and stature, so yea.  Plus, as I mentioned before and repeating myself, its more than one draft. I take a DL in 2019. I don't know what domino effect that would have had. All based on team building theory, nothing more. And repeating, I'm on the fix the defense or bust bandwagon. How important was the H-Back last year ? How important was the DL play ?

Let's take a look at last year's draft and the players available when we drafted Dillon with the 62nd pick.   Pittman was taken by the Colts with the 2nd pick (#34) in the 2nd round so if he was one you want you don't move up for Love and instead take Pittman in the first (I would have preferred Higgins there).   Blacklock was long gone by our 2nd round pick (he was the 40th pick).   I don't know if he was worth a first round grade.  If we don't move up for Love you'd have to move up 8 spots to take Epensea in the 2nd instead of Dillon there.  With the decent chance we lose both Jones and Williams this offseason I for one am glad we have Dillon for next year.

Edited by Pugger
  • Like 2

Nobody here is a scout... I don't think.  My post looked to be more critical than I meant it to be, and I apologize for that. I too had my criticisms of the draft at the time.  

I do think you are being too hard on Deguara though.  The TE room was pretty weak.  We had: washed Marcedes Lewis, less than 200 yards Robert Tonyan, and 0 stats Jace Sternberger coming into the season.  The position group needed some attention.  It is nobody's fault that Deguara got injured.  My preferred pick was Albert O, who also got injured.  

I will add more thoughts after work, when I have time.

12 hours ago, cannondale said:

About 3 or 4 years ago or so. There was a tipping point when the discussions started about offenses and defenses changing to be more player friendly and allowing guys to come in and contribute right away. And you know this.

How many more of these windows do you think we have left ? Infinite ?

That question is directly tied to the drafting of Love.  If he hits, that will be another 10 windows or so, after Rodgers.  And that was the point of the pick.  Preparing for the future.  

8 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

To add to this....we just saw how the MLF scheme uses the run game and multiple running backs.  We know that paying top dollar on a second contract to a RB is a big gamble.  We got Dillon who has to remind us all (and MLF) of Derrick Henry.  And we were preparing for life without Jones and/or Williams.

And Henry is a guy that makes his offense hum.  Without him, Tannehill isn't looking nearly as good.  Titans defense was pretty bad, but with Henry eating clock and yards, they can win games and hang with the power teams.

I wasn't a fan of taking a RB in the second round, but it did make some sense.

10 hours ago, deathstar said:

Packers defense was what 9th. Not top 5 but not awful. Packers missed path to the Super Bowl was 2 plays. Obviously an upgrade from King is a must so that means a free agent CB likely and the offense needs another weapon, especially with Jones gone and the OL weakened at least early in the year. Not impossible so we will see.