Hindsight -- Draft 2020

18 hours ago, cannondale said:

Fix the defense. Period

I think Dillon and Degura are bad value. I'm talking about team building here. That's my issue. 

Dillion could step right in and we don’t worry at all about losing a Jones.

I think they are building it. It’s not like they’ve neglected the defense don’t you think? Z and Preston Smith, Savage, Amos, Gary, Alexander, Keke is another.  Those are all Gutes guys. All in 3 or fewer years. I feel like you expect Gute to sign 11 studs ASAP. It doesn’t work that way. 

Love will be the key though. Rogers could have kept regressing this year but he didn’t. That’s good. 

Edited by MantyWrestler
  • Like 4
16 hours ago, cannondale said:

Fix the defense. Period

I think Dillon and Degura are bad value. I'm talking about team building here. That's my issue. 

Where would the Packers be next year without Dillon in the wings so by what logic was he a bad pick. Deguara got hurt so even evaluating him right now is dumb. Love got drafted because Rodgers is already unaffordable and will be more so in 2 years. Are you noting the cap problems already? 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gizmo2012 said:

Where would the Packers be next year without Dillon in the wings so by what logic was he a bad pick. Deguara got hurt so even evaluating him right now is dumb. Love got drafted because Rodgers is already unaffordable and will be more so in 2 years. Are you noting the cap problems already? 

I feel like Cannon is saying he doesn’t know who they should have drafted but they should have been on defense and should have been better. 

Deguara was the HUGE reach in this past draft and we probably could've gotten Dillon there. If we had to go back and Dillon and Deguara weren't selected, we could've drafted the following at 62:

Justin Madubuike, IDL
Willie Gay, ILB
Jeremy Chinn, S/LB
DaVon Hamilton, DT
Zack Baun, LB
Jordan Elliot, IDL(would've been a reach, he went at 88)

or at 94:

McTelvin Agim, IDL
Tanner Muse, S/LB
Malik Harrison, ILB
Jacob Phillips, ILB
*the list could go on a bit more

With that in tow, it brings us back to the sole fact that the team was investing in players for 2021 and beyond with 2020 being a season of "let's see where this goes." Personally, I knew Rodgers would rebound though his numbers were a bit higher than I projected and I knew that the running game would take a huge step forward given another year in the system; especially with an incredibly underrated Jon Runyan selected in the 6th round with two road graders(Stepaniak in particular) drafted afterwards. We certainly got some promise out of Kamal Martin so you can't complain about drafting him where we did and Vernon Scott got some good reps in as well, which for a 7th rounder is gold of course.

On 2/22/2021 at 8:52 AM, pacman5252 said:

I did like Degura in his limited time. The critics would argue he's still a H back though (which is definitely fair). Odd position to take.

Different era, I suppose, but William Henderson was a 3rd round pick and no one every complained about that. 

If Deguara can keep blocking like he's shown and become a  useful receiver, that's decent value. 

2 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Different era, I suppose, but William Henderson was a 3rd round pick and no one every complained about that. 

If Deguara can keep blocking like he's shown and become a  useful receiver, that's decent value. 

Back when William played RBs were more valued than they are today.

11 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I will add more thoughts after work, when I have time.

So, it is after work, and I will go through what I thought of the 2021 draft for the Packers.

What I wanted, and thought the team needed:  DL, OT, TE, maybe WR (but I am a MVS, Lazard, EQ guy).  

I didn't get a DL.  Just stat hunting, and not watching any specific linemen, no rookie lineman really stood out as far as tackles went.  Are there fans who are happy with their DT that they drafted? I am sure.  And some of them will probably be pretty good, but stats wise and health wise, they don't touch Dean Lowry this season.  If we were looking for instant impact, I am not sure that we would have found it, at any of our picks.

I didn't get an OT.  We did draft three interior OL, and I think Runyan did well when playing this year.  If one of them was a tackle, I would have felt better for no reason even if they didn't play.  😆  Also turns out that Billy Turner is better at all offensive line positions than I thought he was.

I did get the TE.  Not the one I wanted.  @beekay414 and I went back and forth for a while, I wanted Albert O, he was a Deguara guy.  Turns out we were both wrong, LOL.  But Robert Tonyan of 2020 is want I wanted Albert O for, there is no reason to be redundant there.  And if Deguara even tries to block, he is a better blocker than Albert O.  This is an extra toy for Coach LaFleur.  I don't buy that he was overdrafted, though I probably thought so at the time, mostly salty that I didn't get my guy.  The Packers obviously thought that he was worth the 94th pick, or they would have taken someone else.  

In the end, this was a 13-3 team that was pretty damn good in 2019.  There was not an abundance of opportunity for meaningful snaps for rookie contributors in 2020.  After the season, I am pretty content with this draft, and how I think it sets up the roster for the future.  AJ Dillion allows us to keep the RB position cheap.  Josiah Deguara seems like a great compliment to Robert Tonyan moving forward.  Jon Runyan Jr looks to have the inside track to start at one of the guard positions in 2021.  I believe that Vernon Scott can play the third safety role, should the new defensive coordinator use that position, and he is a special teams guy.  This draft rests on Jordan Love though.  If he works out, it is a great draft if no one else does anything.  And if he fails, it is likely a failure no matter what the other guys do.  

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

I totally get that. With that said though, how many real important HBacks are in the NFL right now? It is like Kyle J in SF and that is it. Daffney was a UDFA and we are getting probably 80% of Degura with him for nothing.

• Like 1
On 2/22/2021 at 6:31 PM, thrILL! said:

LoL wut?  Based off of what exactly?  Rumors and hearsay of him supposedly looking underwhelming in practices that the media wasn't even allowed to attend?  We have no idea what progress he has or hasn't made yet.  We're all hoping to get a good look at his play if there's preseason next season but even that won't be the control to gauge his development.  Rodgers didn't exactly set the preseason on fire himself in his first couple seasons.

Rumors, but being 3rd string is not a good sign. This is coming from someone who loved the pick in the moment.

Everyone is offended and keeps talking about the offense. Maybe another 4 or 5 years of losing by giving up 30+ in the playoffs will change minds. If Dillon and Deguara work out and you lose 37-31 AGAIN, that's not success. Gadget running backs, gadget wide receivers are all the rage with fans. I'm in the minority. Who knows how the defense would have looked with Wilkins and Queen, but I would have liked to find out. You build a team from the inside out and defenses win Championships

Edited by cannondale
27 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Everyone is offended and keeps talking about the offense. Maybe another 4 or 5 years of losing by giving up 30+ in the playoffs will change minds. If Dillon and Deguara work out and you lose 37-31 AGAIN, that's not success. Gadget running backs, gadget wide receivers are all the rage with fans. I'm in the minority. Who knows how the defense would have looked with Wilkins and Queen, but I would have liked to find out. You build a team from the inside out and defenses win Championships

Maybe ... however, Pettine and his scheme wasn't the right fit for the players he had.  Thinking it wouldn't have made a bit of difference who was drafted with him at the helm.

..........and if you don't like covid, jolly well go out there and find a permanent cure (just like making the Packers dominant everywhere, it is almost impossible).

I could be wrong but I don't think there is a single poster that is 'offended' by what you are saying @cannondale. What they are, is largely disagreeing with your take on things. Your projection of the future (37-31) is only a WAG, so people can take that as they will.

Also, success is not ONLY winning a SB. Yes, it is the ultimate goal every year, but a 13-3 season is success, Rodgers as MVP is a success, and don't try to tell me otherwise. Success is more than a SB. Just speak to some of the posters here, who lived through the team's trials in the 70's and 80's, and stayed as Packer fans, they took heart in much smaller successes back then.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
31 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

..........and if you don't like covid, jolly well go out there and find a permanent cure (just like making the Packers dominant everywhere, it is almost impossible).

I could be wrong but I don't think there is a single poster that is 'offended' by what you are saying @cannondale. What they are, is largely disagreeing with your take on things. Your projection of the future (37-31) is only a WAG, so people can take that as they will.

Also, success is not ONLY winning a SB. Yes, it is the ultimate goal every year, but a 13-3 season is success, Rodgers as MVP is a success, and don't try to tell me otherwise. Success is more than a SB. Just speak to some of the posters here, who lived through the team's trials in the 70's and 80's, and stayed as Packer fans, they took heart in much smaller successes back then.

I don't know what WAG is, but if it means my projection is based off the past 10 years - then yes.  And success is Super Bowls. Ask Gute. And I lived thru the 70's and 80's teams, and don't have a clue why that matters. If I lived thru the 60's am I allowed to expect more ?

Edited by cannondale