What would you prefer Pace/Nagy to do with the QB position this year?

JAF-N72EX

13 members have voted

1. 1. What would you prefer Pace/Nagy to do with the QB position this year?

• Sell the farm and future assets to trade up?
    • Draft BPA QB at 20?
    • Would you prefer he moved up in the draft to take X QB without sacrificing future assets? (If so, which round do you think X is worth?)
    • Trade down and take a QB in the 2nd rd or later?
    • Sign a FA and roll with him and Foles; use draft to build supporting cast?
    • Sign cheap veteran and draft developmental QB?
    • Other - specify below

I know we have a QB discussion thread but that thing is filled with 100+ pages of mixed topics and nothing direct.

I'm just trying to get an idea of where everyone stands on this.

1. Would you prefer he sell the farm + future assets to move up? 
  2. Would you prefer he sit still at #20 and take the BPA QB?
  3. Would you prefer he moved up in the draft to take X QB without sacrificing future assets? (If so, which round do you think X is worth?)
  4. Would you prefer he signed a free agent and roll with him and Foles and use the draft to build around a QB? (if so, which free agent?)
  5. Would you prefer he traded down and take one in the 2nd or later rounds? 
  6. Would you prefer he signed a cheap free agent and draft a development QB? 
  7. Other---specify

1. Trade up top 5 and get Zach Wilson.

I think Wilson is the Mahomes of this class. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a better career than Lawrence, even. The only major concern I have with him is durability/frame.

2. Stand at 20 and take Darrisaw-LT or Cosmi-LT

This is the smart play, if and when Wilson goes #2, or we can't swing the trade to go get him. Don't overthink it, just get some franchise dudes on the OL and fix the problems you can actually fix. I'm so over Charles "Walrus Technique" Leno just sucking at his job. If we have to be a team that runs the ball 40x a game, so be it.

3. Stand at 20 and take Mac Jones

I'll be honest, I can't evaluate Mac Jones. He had such incredible talent around himself at Bama that I don't really know what to think. That being said, I feel like he's potentially an Alex Smith.... He can do the job, but isn't a world beater, and I understand the need to "take a shot". He does throw some really good anticipatory passes, and has a better deep ball than he's often given credit for.

4. Smaller trade up (8-14) for Trey Lance

This is entirely, 100% a home run swing on upside. He has even less experience than Trubisky, but he's ultra athletic, and has every tool you could want. From a pure cost to potential comparison this is a move I could completely understand. 

5. Stand at 20 and draft Etienne-RB

I can already feel people getting angry reading this one... but the kid is the next McCaffrey, and would probably be in the mix for our #1 WR job as well as our #1 RB job. And if we can't get a QB, let's at least get an absolutely elite running game/screen game built up. I don't care what position he plays, we need elite playmakers on offense, and he's an elite playmaker.

There's potentially some WR in that mix as well near the #5 slot...but that's basically where I'm at right now for the draft.

• Like 1

If we could avoid trading future assets that would be ideal. Say 20, a 3rd for 2021, plus a franchise tagged ARob would be great.

That being said if it takes a 2022 pick to go get Fields, Wilson or whoever in the top 10 then fine.

But dammit don't let a mediocre offense be given a pass because they have a rookie QB. Pace will have had 7 offseasons to build it up and Nagy will have had 5 to run his "system" by the end of 2021. Either put up or GTFO.

• Like 1

Only 3 people have a preference here?!? Cmon fellas....I'm trying to create conversation pieces here that stray away from the same old basic "is this player good or not" convos.

The results are shocking though. I understand where Suga is coming from because he already explained it, but the other...2....not so much.

EDIT:  My bad, @Epyon explained it too.

I was under the impression that many were worried that Pace would be in desperation mode (for valid reasons) and that he would bet the farm for a QB, and you didn't want him too because of his QB history. But here you are wanting him to bet the farm for a QB.

Edited by JAF-N72EX
  • Like 1

On 2/20/2021 at 8:01 AM, WindyCity said:

If they miss at QB, they are fired, and the Bears are rebuilding.

Might as well take a big swing.

Trade up and get a real prospect.

So are you saying you want Pace to bet the farm?

I'm only asking because it sounds like you are giving your opinion based on what you think Pace will do and that's not what I'm asking.

3 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Only 3 people have a preference here?!? Cmon fellas....I'm trying to create conversation pieces here that stray away from the same old basic "is this player good or not" convos.

The results are shocking though. I understand where Suga is coming from because he already explained it, but the other...2....not so much.

I was under the impression that many were worried that Pace would be in desperation mode (for valid reasons) and that he would bet the farm for a QB, and you didn't want him too because of his QB history. But here you are wanting him to bet the farm for a QB.

I think most see the talent in this class and hope Pace just hits for once. I feel like the Oregon kid Shough would be the QB 4 here at best (and Jones, Lance, and Trask are all damn close if not ahead by a number of people). And he is probably the number one pick in 2022. The odds imo are just way better in this class than next year's, so maybe he gets a hit by default? 

Pace made the worst choice when he had 3 options that stood out, with Lawrence going number one he should have the ability to look at the 5 QBs (Fields, Wilson, Jones, Trask, Lance) and find 1 or 2 to really target draft day. Hopefully he learned from his failings but him pulling the trigger still makes me nervous as hell. 

20 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I think most see the talent in this class and hope Pace just hits for once. I feel like the Oregon kid Shough would be the QB 4 here at best (and Jones, Lance, and Trask are all damn close if not ahead by a number of people). And he is probably the number one pick in 2022. The odds imo are just way better in this class than next year's, so maybe he gets a hit by default? 

Pace made the worst choice when he had 3 options that stood out, with Lawrence going number one he should have the ability to look at the 5 QBs (Fields, Wilson, Jones, Trask, Lance) and find 1 or 2 to really target draft day. Hopefully he learned from his failings but him pulling the trigger still makes me nervous as hell. 

I don't disagree with any of this.  But also I think we should all keep in mind that none of us would have been parading around the Wilson flag 12 months ago either.

I'm not sold on next year's class, and we've discussed this.  But I'm also willing to give them the BOTD too because I've been wrong before.

What scares me about giving up so much capital for an unknown commodity is that if Pace is wrong again then it's going to cripple the next regime. Not only that, but I have a hard time believing that we are a good QB away from being an SB contender. I'm torn because this defense only has one more left before it has to be retooled. Not necessarily rebuilt. But at least retooled. And how do you do that without the assets?

That said, we have to give Pace credit so far. Love him or hate him. Because he has looked into high quality QBs and when they asked for ridiculous amounts of assets he hasn't caved to any of them. He stood his ground. Despite being put in a predicament when most GMs would have.

Let's just hope he keeps on this track.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Shough just entered the transfer portal, btw

• Like 1

Ideally would like to stand pat at 20 and hope their QB falls but that's wishful thinking...so I think the next most logical plan is to trade up to get their guy without sacrificing future assets...which again will be tough to do..but out of the options available that's where I'm going. 

I'm just tired of the team trading future assets to make up for past mistakes.

Some of the better run teams in the NFL such as the Ravens, Packers, Steelers, Colts rarely operate this way and usually always hold onto their draft assets or trade down to accumulate more picks..year after year. Smart.

Selling the farm and future assets for an unknown player is a risky proposition.  If they're going to go that route might as well just go all in for Watson

I'm no trade value chart guru but to answer the question I would think trading the Bears 1st and 3rd picks this year to move up within 10 spots would be fair for any QB named Wilson, Fields or Jones

I picked other.  

I don’t want lame ducks picking any future QB or spending any future assets.  

Not fair to next coach and GM.  

Obviously not going to happen since Bears made lame ducks in first place and gave them an unspoken (publicly) mandate to win.

9 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

So are you saying you want Pace to bet the farm?

I'm only asking because it sounds like you are giving your opinion based on what you think Pace will do and that's not what I'm asking.

I want him to go big at QB.

Because if they miss it doesn't matter. We are blowing the entire thing up and flushing the aging defense and starting over.

If they miss at QB at 20 or 3 it does not matter because the end result is the same.

i'm personally just tired of talking about it. nothing i can do, so might as well wait for some more dominos to fall. 

i think a lot of it comes down to Arob - are we able to franchise him and trade him?

yes? - a package of Arob for Darnold and i take an OT/WR in first two rounds. Arob for Brown and I go QB/WR in the first two

no? - maybe we franchise and work out a way to keep him. Maybe WFT cuts Alex Smith, who i would then be on board with, then grab best OT in 1, and either another in 2 or BPA, whether its an edge, wr, TE, CB (depends on cuts/trades to get cap compliant)