What would you prefer Pace/Nagy to do with the QB position this year?

JAF-N72EX

What would you prefer Pace/Nagy to do with the QB position this year?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. What would you prefer Pace/Nagy to do with the QB position this year?

• Sell the farm and future assets to trade up?
    • Draft BPA QB at 20?
    • Would you prefer he moved up in the draft to take X QB without sacrificing future assets? (If so, which round do you think X is worth?)
    • Trade down and take a QB in the 2nd rd or later?
    • Sign a FA and roll with him and Foles; use draft to build supporting cast?
    • Sign cheap veteran and draft developmental QB?
    • Other - specify below

26 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

We have one of the oldest teams in the league right now.

Over 30

Mack

Quinn

Trevathan

Hicks

Gipson

Approaching 30

Goldman

Fuller

Jackson

This defenses window is slamming shut before our eyes.

As currently construed, yeah. But outside of getting Watson, or a miracle re-birth of Sam Darnold, how do you take advantage of having this stout defense?

You have to see what I'm getting at. Pace screwed the pooch. Big-time. And that's why he should have been fired. The only hope to win a championship, with this defense (mostly) intact, is a lightning-in-a-bottle sort of proposition. 

That's why I think they might as well go for one of good, young QBs. I'm not going to cry if they gamble on Darnold or Minshew, though. I really do think both those dudes have talent.

23 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

If a GM takes over a team with a garbage offense and an a declining defense this thing is getting blown right up.

No one is going to limp along with the aging corpse of this defense and try and rebuild an offense on the fly.

It'll get blown up to the degree the cap lets the new guy go about it, sure. Should be happening right now...but at least there's a chance that Pace can make it all work. 

Edited by Heinz D.

Pace and Nagy are looking to extend their jobs beyond 2021. The best way for them to do that is with a BIG move in the draft for Fields/Wilson. If we jump up to 2 or 3 and have 6-7 wins next year again there’s at least a shot for them to keep their jobs because they’ll have the “year 2 top prospect QB jump coming with cap space to bolster the roster” card to play. Even a QB at 20 and 6-7 wins probably doesn’t give them that.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Even a QB at 20 and 6-7 wins probably doesn’t give them that.

That makes it less likely. But it depends on how the kid looks. If they somehow get Jones there, or settle for Trask, and either really balls out...you never know. 

I don't think they can afford to stay put if they're going after a rookie, though. Too risky. 

44 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

As currently construed, yeah. But outside of getting Watson, or a miracle re-birth of Sam Darnold, how do you take advantage of having this stout defense?

You have to see what I'm getting at. Pace screwed the pooch. Big-time. And that's why he should have been fired. The only hope to win a championship, with this defense (mostly) intact, is a lightning-in-a-bottle sort of proposition. 

That's why I think they might as well go for one of good, young QBs. I'm not going to cry if they gamble on Darnold or Minshew, though. I really do think both those dudes have talent.

It'll get blown up to the degree the cap lets the new guy go about it, sure. Should be happening right now...but at least there's a chance that Pace can make it all work. 

They are going to try and draft a good QB. If they miss it will not matter, because the next HC and GM are going to punt most of Pace's players.

This is a lightning in a bottle or hail mary situation. This is what George chose.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Pace and Nagy are looking to extend their jobs beyond 2021. The best way for them to do that is with a BIG move in the draft for Fields/Wilson. If we jump up to 2 or 3 and have 6-7 wins next year again there’s at least a shot for them to keep their jobs because they’ll have the “year 2 top prospect QB jump coming with cap space to bolster the roster” card to play. Even a QB at 20 and 6-7 wins probably doesn’t give them that.

Agreed.

There is no downside to a move in the draft. Just a question whether they can make it happen.

37 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Remember George is not looking for reasons to fire these bums. He is looking for every and any reason to keep them.

It sure seems that way, doesn't it? Which is why I always thought that getting a rookie would be in Pace's best interests. 

We'll see what happens. It's unfortunate that the team will be kind of stagnant though, outside of QB. 

If you’re Pace don’t you have to at least ask what it’d take to trade for Dak Prescott? Would 20 and our 2022 #1 suffice? We could structure his contract however it best fits for us meaning we could make his 2021 salary cap hit relatively palatable, and Jerry could take his new QB at 10 or 20, or package the two together to move up. 

I threw this together as a rough idea of how a Dak contract could potentially look. It’s pricey for sure (though not so much in 2021 cap-wise), but also takes most of the variable of a trade up to draft a QB out of the equation in that you’re getting a known commodity. 

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

If you’re Pace don’t you have to at least ask what it’d take to trade for Dak Prescott? Would 20 and our 2022 #1 suffice? We could structure his contract however it best fits for us meaning we could make his 2021 salary cap hit relatively palatable, and Jerry could take his new QB at 10 or 20, or package the two together to move up. 

I threw this together as a rough idea of how a Dak contract could potentially look. It’s pricey for sure (though not so much in 2021 cap-wise), but also takes most of the variable of a trade up to draft a QB out of the equation in that you’re getting a known commodity. 

It's also occurred to me that Prescott may lower his salary demands if he's moved to a team that Jerry Jones doesn't run...

12 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

The downside is giving up future picks for another bad QB. Trading up for the wrong QB could set this team back several years.

At that point, the franchise just has to scrape by, get whatever QB they can, and stink for a while. The upside is that their next first round pick would be high. 

30 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

The downside is giving up future picks for another bad QB. Trading up for the wrong QB could set this team back several years.

It is all getting burnt down anyway if they miss.

The 2022 1st round pick won't matter because we will be dumping the defense and blowing it up.

If you know the house is likely to be knocked down, might as well throw a massive kegger.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, WindyCity said:

It is all getting burnt down anyway if they miss.

The 2022 1st round pick won't matter because we will be dumping the defense and blowing it up.

If you know the house is likely to be knocked down, might as well throw a massive kegger.

1. Future picks are going to be key to rebuilding the team.
  2. Having a top pick in 2022 makes the Bears more desirable for prospective GMs.
  • Like 1

^^^^^^

This. And coaches.

Let Nagy/Pace sink or swim with the team they made and BPA(s) in draft.  Heck even give them ARob on tag.      

Sign a vet QB on a one year deal like Pats did with Newton and just do your best.     

That is fair.  More than Pace did for Fox when he threw him to wolves.