Steelers@Chiefs Ups/Downs

MOSteelers56

3 hours ago, TpeSteel said:

When I was a kid they used to say that a team should have (approximately) one touchdown for every 100 yards on offense.  Not sure that is accurate.

But, the Steelers definitely should have scored a TD when they had 1st and Goal from the 2 yard line.  

but what if when you were a kid scores were much less. Maybe today it's more like 10 pts/100 yards O.o or even more. We sure lack points in games when we own TOP and yards, and consider the talent we have on offence it really defines underachieving.   I thought we could possibly lose the KC game for a bit, but 92 saved the day once again and must be a player KC dislike as much as some divisional foes..

20 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

but what if when you were a kid scores were much less. Maybe today it's more like 10 pts/100 yards O.o or even more. We sure lack points in games when we own TOP and yards, and consider the talent we have on offence it really defines underachieving.   I thought we could possibly lose the KC game for a bit, but 92 saved the day once again and must be a player KC dislike as much as some divisional foes..

Yes to all of that.  

I think (one of) the problem(s) is play calling in the red zone.  I think a team with a good OL should be able to run it in for a TD when it has 1st and goal at the 2 yard line.

44 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

Nah, he's pretty darn close. The Pats average the most yards at 412 a game and average almost 29pts a game. The Rams have scored the most pts at about 30pts a game but 28 of their total pts came on Defense/STs so that puts them around 25 pts a game with average 360yds a game. So yeah, that formula seems pretty accurate. The Steelers are below that average by a couple of points averaging a shade under 20pts a game and 350yds a game. Which to all of us that watch the games should come as no surprise. 

On 10/16/2017 at 12:44 AM, Chieferific said:

Mitchell drives me nuts! If you tackle someone after they gained 12 yards it isn't time to celebrate. Couple that with the numerous Personal Fouls week in and week out, it leads me to believe there's really something mentally wrong with the guy.

Maybe so, but Alex Smith needs to stop whining about his 'late hit' being 'as dirty as it gets'. It looks much worse if you are only looking at when the ball left his hands, and then when he was hit, but he was clearly pushed AFTER Smith released the ball, and yes, could he have possibly held up, I have no idea, but he was definitely pushed. And it certainly was NOT 'as dirty as it gets'.

2 hours ago, Ward4HOF said:

Maybe so, but Alex Smith needs to stop whining about his 'late hit' being 'as dirty as it gets'. It looks much worse if you are only looking at when the ball left his hands, and then when he was hit, but he was clearly pushed AFTER Smith released the ball, and yes, could he have possibly held up, I have no idea, but he was definitely pushed. And it certainly was NOT 'as dirty as it gets'.

Mitchell is a thug, they should keep him off the field before he costs us a game or more importantly he injures someone intentionally. This is on the coach IMO, because they can see this as we can but they can also say someone else starts. Mitchell being benched wouldn't shock anyone that has been watching anyways- has has not been good, should be no controversy.

The play wasn't dirty. Mitchell is, as he claimed, both tripped and shoved on the play at about the same moment. The all-22 shows the trip definitively. The shove is on all live broadcast replays. And it's what starts his forward movement.

Mitchell is not a bad football player. No, he should not be benched. Or, in this case, suspended. I like Wilcox. The attacks on Mitchell are almost entirely exaggerated.

Problem is Mitchell has a reputation around the league for cheap shots so it doesn't shock me Smith had the reaction he did,

And no @CKSteeler the attacks on Mitchell are not entirely exaggerated.  The guy calls himself the "Lurk Squad" and does the popular gang hit thing of wearing the bandanna from the eyes down with a flat brim hat pulled low.  The guy is 30 and should have long put that in the past.  He's a thug on the field and looks to take people out over make the right play.

Pretty good comments from everyone on this thread.

Ups

Sean Davis - - I think Sean Davis played his best game this year in terms of tackling, pass coverage and run support.  I am a homer with Davis, but he earned some praise this week.

Dirty Red - - Another one of my homer favorites, but he played the best I have seen him in relief of Williams.  Although the game has changed since the days of the 90's, he reminds me a lot of his Coach Jerry O.  Tyler always seems to be around the ball when he is in there despite his lack of the numbers (speed, strength, quickness). He is a football player  and he made a few plays.

Todd Haley 1st Half - - I think he bounced back and called a solid game in the first half. The offense converted some key third downs and did a great job of possessing the ball and keeping the Chiefs offense on the sideline. Anytime that you possess the ball over 21 minutes in a half on offense and especially without a turnover or two, you are doing some good things.

Defense - - After giving up over 200 yards to the Jaguars and being weighed down by their running attack, the defense bounced back nicely holding the top rookie and one of the best rushers to under 40 yards in the game. Tremendous effort after giving up 180 yards rushing in both of our losses. Great pass rush from our front four and the OLB rotation is a huge strength with Dupree, Watt, Chickello, Debo and company.

Big Ben - - Solid bounce back game after throwing five INT's.  He was not laser accurate Ben, but still solid and the running game supported him.  I would like to see the famous Big Ben pump fake and him spread the ball to different receivers.  I am not sure how many, if any games,he has thrown to more than six receivers.

Downs

Mike Mitchell - - Not calling him a dirty player for the hit, but he just hasn't lived up the the expectations. He has been up and down (probably more down). Hard to come in and replace Ryan and Troy, but his propensity for trying to lay a big hit without wrapping up and his coverage skills (lack thereof) leave a lot to be desired.

Todd Haley second half play calling - - Like most of you I am fuming that we AGAIN!!!! get a first and goal inside of the five yard line and we come out throwing an out and up route.  It didn't work last year in the play-off game, and it hasn't worked in this game or the Jags  game.  You had an opportunity to absolutely bury and mentally decimate the Chiefs by going 99 yards for a TD. Say what you want. but the game would be over at that point. Too many other opportunities to convert on third and short and the pattern and execution was off often times due to coverage or play-call for the coverage. We have to improve in this area and our "Elite Offense" is yet to score more than three TD's and 26 points through the first quarter and a half of the season.  There is too much talent for this not to happen. Our team and offense is better than it was in 2016, yet in many ways our offense is not as good despite having more weapons (Bryant, Ju Ju, McDonald, etc)....

This teams lack of killer instinct or finishing - - Alluded to this a little above, but we let the competition hang around.  I know it can be a positive that we are winning more games like this than losing, but teams that we can and should put away, we don't.  That can haunt you in the play-offs against good teams fighting for their life. We play like there is always a tomorrow. In the immortal words of Immortal Combat boss Shang Tsung, "Finish Them!"

th?id=OIP.IDIVpthNS0t-21csfLaTMgEsCV&pid

Refs - - While not a horrible game, many of these crews continue to be inconsistent with calls. I am not liking what I am seeing from the zebra crews in most of the Steelers games.  This certainly wasn't the worst game, but there were some inconsistent and ticky tack calls or no calls as well.

Red Zone Offense - - Touched on this earlier, but we have to start putting up seven instead of three! Nuff said on this. Time to just do it.

The lost art of tackling - - I get wanting to keep players healthy and worrying about excessive head trauma, however, the team tackling is very inconsistent. There are still a lot of grabs, dives, and loading up like a missle to deliver a hit without wrapping. What has happened to form tackling. The BFL wants to stress "heads up!" however, you have to practice it consistently as well. In my humble opinion this will improve tackling and eliminate many of the head injuries and other injuries.

The Steelers are an up and down team. Which one shows up against the Bengals at home? This team has not put together two wins since week one and two. After starting 2 - 0, the Steelers are 2 - 2 the last four games. This game is an opportunity to reign supreme in the AFC North by starting 3 - 0 against all of our division foes. We are 7 - 1 against the Bengals in the last 8 games, I believe, but the Bengals have traditionally played the Steelers well in Pittsburgh. It won't be easy, especially after an emotional win in KC.

Once again, I took another look at the game to see what I missed.  Ups/Downs/Observations:

UP:

Tuitt played like a man possessed.  Was in the backfield the whole game.   Alex Smith is still having nightmares about him.  Defense in general played well for most of the game.

OLine and Bell were tremendous.  Bell back to mid-season form ran hard and fast.  Pouncey, Finney and DDC doing some serious work, Finney played rope a dope with a guy, letting him push back to open lane for Bell and was shedding and blocking multiple guys like a pro-bowler at times.  Pounce getting up field a few times effectively.  Vance McDonald had some nice blocks.  One where he absolutely obliterates a guy.  Hubbard, a bounce-back game.  AV gave up a sack but played well beyond that.

AB great game, what a catch in the 4th quarter!  (I though it was intercepted when I saw it live)

Hilton was a heat seeking missile.  Big TFL, sack and a nice ST tackle.  (Mighty Mouse to the rescue)

Ben good composure, decision making and accuracy, especially over the middle.  Developing chemistry with JuJu.

VW two sacks, played a great game except for getting trucked on that long run.

Haden, love the physicality.  He was in the vicinity of 2 INTs.  I'm calling that he will get one soon.  Saves TD on long play.

Artie good PD.

Watson, short yardage demon.

Berry great punt with 2 min to go.

Sean Davis saved a TD in the 4th quarter.  Matakevich highpointing that ball too.

Mitchell collapsed pocket on blitz but A. Smith makes a great play for big yardage.  Mitchell seemed to be in good position when I watched him.

Deebo looked great rushing the passer getting pressure, vs the run, in coverage and of course that HUGE sack at the end!

Finally using play action effectively.

Love Watt's hustle!

DOWN:

AB two gaffes as PR, one on fumble and one on live kick.  Stops inexplicably on the INT.

JuJu has to stop with the penalties.  Missed a blitz pickup.

Dupree not getting enough pressure.  Needs to develop an inside move.

Brian Allen nice speed getting down on punt team but needs to hold a better position.

Jesse James drops a ball that hits him in the hands.

Really encouraging game.  If this team is playing at its best, it can beat anyone.  (even the Pats)  Hoping and praying they can follow it up with another strong effort against Cincy.  

Archived