Packers release T Wagner and LB Kirksey

SteelKing728

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

That's about 98% of the league right there...

98% of the league means free agents signed, then cut after one season?

Nope.

Sorry.

Even with the horrible cap realities coming up, that isn't even sort of true. 

Mistake by Gutekunst. Odds are it won't come back to bite the Pack in the ***, but that isn't at all assured. Most likely not a huge deal either way...but it's still a mistake. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Pretty simple. He was just signed as a free agent...then cut. Gives other free agents pause as to coming to the organization. Not at all difficult to understand. 

First off, I'm fairly certain all other NFL Franchises have performed similar moves in the past, present, and future, rendering that argument moot.

Second, most NFL players end up in the 'dog-eat-dog' category where they ultimately cannot be so casually picky over their future destinations. Case in point, if a player had a choice of going to GB or just leaving football entirely, this recent move would not persuade them towards the latter. If anything, they might think 'cool, there's a potential roster spot I can grab!'

Third, it's Green Bay, moves like these are a distant third at best behind the 'GOD it's cold' and 'boy is this city tiny' in reasons to avoid signing with the team. Fourth, if you want to get into racist topics.

So I read "bad optics"?  Man, I don't get it.  Vets sign two year contracts for just this very reason.  They get more in signing bonus, which is the real money, and it is spread out over two years.  Any veteran 2 year deal is more likely a one year deal with a team option on the last year.

Kirksey was replaced by an UDFA that played better than he did.  His DC is gone.  And another 5'th round pick outplayed him and has more upside.

And neither Barnes (UDFA) or Martin (5th round pick) or Pettine leaving had anything to do with this move.  COVID happened.  If there was more cap space, I think we would have loved to keep Kirsey around as the weak linebacker.  He played better there.  But he was pretty bad when he was the main inside 'backer with the communication helmet.

If someone keeps him on the weakside and without communication responsibilities, I think he can still play.

Wagner, the tackle, played really, really good football for GB.  But, he played too much.  His body was breaking down.  He's even talking retirement.  I'm gonna miss him, he was the better player and great depth to have.  But, that is a luxury in the NFL right now.  Great depth.  And the cap is not going to allow for many luxuries.

• Like 2

On 2/21/2021 at 4:28 PM, Heinz D. said:

Is Kirksey's backup better than he is? I was under the impression that Kirksey was a good contributor. And--didn't they just sign him? 

He was awful for the first part of the year but got better as it progressed. At ilb we have a pair of rookies in 5th rounder Kamal Martin who looked very impressive when on the field (missed time with injury and covid but seemed to make a splash-ish play every 4th or 5th snap) and Krys Barnes who despite being a udfa looked very solid and had the instincts and head of a vet. I would expect us to add a 2nd-4th rounder in there though, and maybe a preseason signing vet min type of the cap permits. 

On the line, we showed a lot of depth this year, including Jon Runyan Jr in the 6th round; lots of versatile guys too so it's hard to tell who will plug in where. 

Funny enough, even if Love flops or never gets his chance, 2020 might wind up being the best GN draft in a long time.