Defense-dissection, dilemma, and decisions

In order to dissect Browns D, I break it down to D line, LB, and Dbacks.  For D line, I would sign FA Watt (or comparable) and then restructure Richardson.  Adios Larry.  Bring back Billings and Clayborn.  Draft BPA at DE/DT with 1st round pick.  For LB, draft two with one who must have speed to cover fast RB/TE.  Resign Goodson with Taki, Wilson, and Phillips for depth.  Don’t forget Woods has mostly 2 LB’s on the field. For Dbacks, sign best value FA S for 2 yrs with Delpit, Harrison, Redwine, and draft S.  For CB, resign Mitchell and draft CB in 2-3 rd.  Ward and Greedy should be solid. One dilemma is many advocate drafting LB in 1st rd and the only way that makes sense to me is if there is a game changer like Devin Bush or White which is doubtful.  Another dilemma is in D back area as I advocate spending to get Simmons or Harris because I believe pass rusher is number one priority and S the next.  Adding two quality FA starters in Watt and Harris is worth 20M.  In theory our first six picks should yield3-4 starters.  Money decisions are key nowadays with next year OBJ, Landry, and Richardson are off the books.  Another decision is trading OBJ which I would do as long as it is a 2nd.  With 5-6 draftees in our picks on D our special team play should greatly benefit.  The other pick likely WR.

At corner we really need 4 more guys. 

I dont want Johnson back. 

If greedy comes back even then I doubt he plays 16 games, same for ward. 

If we resign mitchell, he is a solid number 4 corner. 

At lienabckse I'd sooner bring smith than Goodson back. I dont like goodson he is the quintessential player browns linebacker that doesnt mack plays but racks up tackles. 

I'd look at trading for the linebacker from the New York jets that  used to play for the ravens.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

At lienabckse I'd sooner bring smith than Goodson back. I dont like goodson he is the quintessential player browns linebacker that doesnt mack plays but racks up tackles.

Goodson was by far our best LB, at least by my eye test. I'd also consider him our third most consistent defender last year. In my opinion a tackle is a play. I never understood not valuing a tackle because of where it is made. It isn't better to not make those 6 yard gain tackles and let the next guy get him because that means more yards.

Goodson did have 2 picks, 6 passes defensed, a couple TFL and half a sack and a FR. By far our best tackler at LB. Sure he is a bit slow but if I could only keep one of our LBs it would be him without hesitation.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Goodson was by far our best LB, at least by my eye test. I'd also consider him our third most consistent defender last year. In my opinion a tackle is a play. I never understood not valuing a tackle because of where it is made. It isn't better to not make those 6 yard gain tackles and let the next guy get him because that means more yards.

Goodson did have 2 picks, 6 passes defensed, a couple TFL and half a sack and a FR. By far our best tackler at LB. Sure he is a bit slow but if I could only keep one of our LBs it would be him without hesitation.

Goodson needs to be our #2/3 LB. that’s where he will excell. He just shouldn’t be our #1. We need to sign a guy to be that or draft a guy. You view the entire season, Goodson was our best and most consistent LB. if you just view the last half, it was Taki. Goodson and Taki are worth it. They just can’t be the guy. Knock them down a spot on the depth chart and they will be better for us. 

goodosn basically played like he was Joe but didn’t cost $10m a year for it 

11 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Goodson needs to be our #2/3 LB. that’s where he will excell. He just shouldn’t be our #1. We need to sign a guy to be that or draft a guy. You view the entire season, Goodson was our best and most consistent LB. if you just view the last half, it was Taki. Goodson and Taki are worth it. They just can’t be the guy. Knock them down a spot on the depth chart and they will be better for us. 

goodosn basically played like he was Joe but didn’t cost $10m a year for it 

Takitaki was only playing 29%-39% of defensive snaps in the 2nd half of the season aside from one game at 47% and one at 72%, Goodson was at around 90 in the games he was available. I don't know if a guy playing 35% of the snaps could be considered consistent because he usually wasn't playing.

Goodson isn't the athlete Joe is but he was certainly cheaper and did well. Joe fit our defense though and would have made our defense more respectable playing along side Takitaki and Goodson. The price would have been high though.

I'm still not sure what we want to be on defense to know what we need. Do we want a pass rushing LB? I don't think we do. I think we want guys who are solid in coverage and against the run. Goodson would be a good #2 in that scenario if we are mostly going with 2 LBs. Takitaki, I'm not sure. He misses a lot of tackles.

I think we probably need 1 LB of starter quality. Probably 1 of everything on defense at starter quality. CB/DE/DT/LB/S (if we are using 3 base safeties). That of course isn't happening so you have to either prioritize, which I can't do because I don't know how our defense is supposed to look, or just take the best available at whichever position. Probably DE/DT/LB/CB/S in that order but I dunno.

14 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

One way to do it, rather than build the pass rush is to build the secondary. 

With denzel and greedy and delphit, draft the best coverage player in the 1st and lock teams down. 

Find one more pass rusher  a couple of fattys to stop the run.

Our big hits in FA last year were Conklin and Hooper, both on O.

We hit on Wills (also on O) but, so far at least, we swung and missed on Delphin (hated the pick).

Delphin still might work out but we don't know.

We traded for Harrison who seems talented but fragile just like the rest of our DB.

I would not factor Greedy at all at this point. If he shows up, great, but I wouldn't count on it for planning purposes.

Similar approach/formula as last year, slightly adjusted, would elevate us to SB contender.

FA hit on Watt (D).

Trade for Lattimore (D).

Get a DB, a play-making safety or hybrid and a play-making WR in the draft and we are off to the races.

Edited by bruceb
Forgot the WR

Needs:

1. Pass Rush/DL: Someone opposite Myles to be at least average/above average and someone else on the interior to be above average. Ideally, this would be a combination of draft and free agency.

2. CB: Even if Greedy and Ward stay healthy, we need another slot option. With the amount of injury time both have missed, we for sure need to invest in this spot. Preferably, someone who is good in man coverage. Our 3rd down defense/4th down defense was so awful because we couldn't play man coverage at all opposite Ward.

3. LB: We need a 3 down off ball LB, period. We need a versatile MLB who is able to be a sideline to sideline run stopper and valuable in coverage. Anything that he gives us blitzing is gravy. You could argue that we need two, but if TakiTaki is able to be an SLB/nickel/hybrid EDGE blitz guy and Goodson comes back as a 2 down thumper, I could actually see us only "needing" one this year. This position is very valuable in today's NFL. See: Tampa Bay, Seattle, Baltimore, Pittsburgh

4. S: I'm sure that some will have this higher, but IF Delpit comes back 100% healthy, we will have him and Harrison, which is a solid starting S duo (in theory). I'd still love to have a 3rd guy/hybrid slot/push FS here, or even a hybrid S/LB type, but it's not AS big of a need as the other 3 IMO.

By my count, we need at least 4-5 new defensive starting/valuable rotational members assuming that the above guys come back healthy. (2 DL, 1 MLB, 1 CB, maybe 1 S)

• Like 4

8 hours ago, MWil23 said:

By my count, we need at least 4-5 new defensive starting/valuable rotational members assuming that the above guys come back healthy. (2 DL, 1 MLB, 1 CB, maybe 1 S)

Should be doable.

2 in FA or via trade and 3 through the draft.

We have 6 picks through the first 4 rounds.

Just need to hit on half of them.

Nice work MWil!

In Woods defensive scheme of 3 safeties, one  of the safeties has to call the coverages and that is why I think it is imperative to sign best value safety with a veteran proven pass rusher like Watt.  Add Delpit and Williams with a defense oriented draft.

4 hours ago, #32 said:

Nice work MWil!

In Woods defensive scheme of 3 safeties, one  of the safeties has to call the coverages and that is why I think it is imperative to sign best value safety with a veteran proven pass rusher like Watt.  Add Delpit and Williams with a defense oriented draft.

I think Harrison could be the guy to call the coverages

• Like 1