2021 MOCK OFF-SEASON V3

BayBubbPackFan

2021 Off-Season:

DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR: Joe Barry, not going to go into his history. I am sure everyone on the forum has looked into this.

14929350-850x560.jpeg

1) Personnel Moves:

I am still the Over the Cap, Cap Calculator for the personnel moves. It is a broad use of numbers but gives a nice outlook.  https://overthecap.com/calculator/green-bay-packers/

It has been reported the final salary cap could range from $180mil to $188mil. I will put my off-season setting the cap at $184mil.

Current moves:

Restructure: David Bakhtiari: Saving $8.3mil on the cap

Release: Christian Kirksey and Rick Wagner: Saving $9.85mil on the cap

Over the Cap has the Packers current cap at -$11.451mil

Moves Packers should make:

Release:

Dean Lowery: We are getting better production from Keke. Cap savings: $3.3mil

Devin Funchess: Cap Savings: $1.2mil

Re-Structure: 

Preston Smith: Approached and agrees to re-structure. Cap Savings: $5.28mil

Roster Bonuses converted to Signing Bonuses:

Aaron Rodgers: Green Bay could convert all his Base and Roster Bonus into signing bonus, but they only do enough to keep the option open to release/trade him next year without a terrible dead cap.   Cap Savings: $11mil

Extensions:

Davante Adams: 4yr extension. Cap Savings: $9mil

Zadarius Smith: 2yr extension. Cap Savings: $12mil

Billy Turner: 1yr extension. Cap Savings: $3.8mil

With all of these moves, we now stand at around $32.8mil in cap space.

Re-Sign:

Jamaal Williams: 2yr deal. Cap Charge: $2mil

Marcedes Lewis: 1yr deal, comes back for one more run. Cap Charge $1.5mil

Restricted Free Agents:

All ERFA's are brought back. (Includes Allen Lazard) Cap Charge: $4mil

RFA's Brought back:

**Robert Tonyan is given 2nd Rd Tag. Costing about $3.4mil.**

Raven Greene: Not Tendered, brought back on league minimum deal. Cap Charge: $780K

Not Re-Signed:

Corey Linsley: With Elgton Jenkins and the drafting of Runyan and Stepaniak, we allow him to go elseware.

Kevin King: NFCCG, enough said.

We could bring back Lane Taylor and Montravious Adams later in the off-season, just as insurance.

Prior to Free Agency, Green Bay stands at $21.12mil in cap space.

Free agents:

JJ Watt: He decides to come home on a 2yr $16mil deal with $2mil in insentives. 2021 Cap Charge: $6.5mil.

jj-watt-net-worth.png

Patrick Peterson: Rodgers does some recruiting and gets Patrick to take a discount for a possible ring. 1yr deal. Cap Charge: $3.5.

ohvtp0r5k6rd16v7owkr.jpg

John Ross: We kick the tires on him, should come in on a cheap prove it deal. 1yr deal. Cap Charge: $2mil.

1216416789-850x560.jpeg

We go into the draft with $9.12mil in cap.

2021 NFL Draft:

Comp picks: two 4 rounders and a 6 rounder (Just a guess). I am sticking with this until Comp picks are released. 

RD1) TRADE! Jacksonville looking to surround Trevor Lawerence with as much help as possible, trades #33 and their 4th for #29.

RD2A) Tevin Jenkinn: OT, Oklahoma State

9768218.png

Ton of experience, can put him at RT right away (Bakhtiari may not be ready to go right away).

RD2B) Elijah Molden: CB, Washington

molden.jpg

Our new slot CB. Great instincts. Allows Chandon Sullivan to be that dime defender/Safety.

RD3) Demetric Felton: WR/RB, UCLA.

UCLA-FBC-1103-19-1.jpg?w=863

Played both RB and in the slot. Great athlete, would be great fit in our outside zone scheme. 

RD4A) Tariq Thompson: S, San Diego State.

BYU-vs.-SDSU-21-475x398.jpg

We are not bringing back Will Redmon. Thompson is versatile can defend deep or play in the slot. 

RD4B) Hunter Long: TE, Boston College.

AG8I9115.jpg

Highly utilized as both a receiver and blocker. Would fit well in the Lefluer system.

RD4C) Ambry Thomas: CB, Michigan.

63e8ca4d-e810-4632-97a3-1ff59bee4245-GTY

Big and physical. Develops a year behind Patrick Peterson.
RD5) Dez Fitzpatrick: WR, Louisville.

20201211-161714-UofL%20football%20Dez%20

Physical receiver, smooth athlete, with the size to help in the run game.

RD6A) Tedarrel Slayton: NT, Florida State.

tedarrell-slaton-v-tenn-mart-2.jpg?resiz

Another draft crush, just can come in and give Kenny Clark a breather. Eats blocks and can work on his pass rush.

RD6B) Javian Hawkins: RB, Louisville.

_C6R7367.JPG

RB depth, a playmaker. Quick, elusive, and speed. A role player for us.

RD7) Marco Wilson: CB, Florida.

WilsonMarco_180901_9760_TimCasey.jpg

Younger brother of Quincy Wilson. Depth and development, compete with Ambry Thomas.

Let me know.

• Like 2

You have Packers with 2 4th round comp picks and picking up Jax 4th rounder. So shouldn't Packers be making 4 picks in 4th round? They have heir own 4th rounder. (Actually, I've read comp picks will likely be a 4th, 5th and 6th). 

Like the draft overall, but not sure Pack needs another TE unless they've given up on Sternberger, which I doubt. Would also like to see a ILB in there somewhere. 

Edited by Brat&Beer
  • Like 1

I'd like a little more depth on the Dline, given JJ Watt's injury history, but at the same time I see that you basically replaced Lowry with Watt and Montravius Adams for Teddarel Slayton, so it's basically an even swap. Does GB have enough Dline to make it work if Watt misses games?

Not gonna lie, I was pretty bummed to see us free up cap space just to bring in John Ross, but he's also pretty cheap so that's also a wash. What does he bring to the table that you don't already get with MVS?

I'm curious to hear about why the secondary was such a focus, give that you only lost Kevin King. You replaced him with 4 draft picks and Patrick Peterson. It's certainly a need for us, and you can't have too many DBs, but I'd love to hear why you focused on it that much.

On 2/20/2021 at 5:35 PM, BayBubbPackFan said:

2021 Off-Season:

DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR: Joe Barry, not going to go into his history. I am sure everyone on the forum has looked into this.

14929350-850x560.jpeg

1) Personnel Moves:

I am still the Over the Cap, Cap Calculator for the personnel moves. It is a broad use of numbers but gives a nice outlook.  https://overthecap.com/calculator/green-bay-packers/

It has been reported the final salary cap could range from $180mil to $188mil. I will put my off-season setting the cap at $184mil.

Current moves:

Restructure: David Bakhtiari: Saving $8.3mil on the cap

Release: Christian Kirksey and Rick Wagner: Saving $9.85mil on the cap

Over the Cap has the Packers current cap at -$11.451mil

Moves Packers should make:

Release:

Dean Lowery: We are getting better production from Keke. Cap savings: $3.3mil

Devin Funchess: Cap Savings: $1.2mil

Re-Structure: 

Preston Smith: Approached and agrees to re-structure. Cap Savings: $5.28mil

Roster Bonuses converted to Signing Bonuses:

Aaron Rodgers: Green Bay could convert all his Base and Roster Bonus into signing bonus, but they only do enough to keep the option open to release/trade him next year without a terrible dead cap.   Cap Savings: $11mil

Extensions:

Davante Adams: 4yr extension. Cap Savings: $9mil

Zadarius Smith: 2yr extension. Cap Savings: $12mil

Billy Turner: 1yr extension. Cap Savings: $3.8mil

With all of these moves, we now stand at around $32.8mil in cap space.

Re-Sign:

Jamaal Williams: 2yr deal. Cap Charge: $2mil

Marcedes Lewis: 1yr deal, comes back for one more run. Cap Charge $1.5mil

Restricted Free Agents:

All ERFA's are brought back. (Includes Allen Lazard) Cap Charge: $4mil

RFA's Brought back:

**Robert Tonyan is given 2nd Rd Tag. Costing about $3.4mil.**

Raven Greene: Not Tendered, brought back on league minimum deal. Cap Charge: $780K

Not Re-Signed:

Corey Linsley: With Elgton Jenkins and the drafting of Runyan and Stepaniak, we allow him to go elseware.

Kevin King: NFCCG, enough said.

We could bring back Lane Taylor and Montravious Adams later in the off-season, just as insurance.

Prior to Free Agency, Green Bay stands at $21.12mil in cap space.

Free agents:

JJ Watt: He decides to come home on a 2yr $16mil deal with $2mil in insentives. 2021 Cap Charge: $6.5mil.

jj-watt-net-worth.png

Patrick Peterson: Rodgers does some recruiting and gets Patrick to take a discount for a possible ring. 1yr deal. Cap Charge: $3.5.

ohvtp0r5k6rd16v7owkr.jpg

John Ross: We kick the tires on him, should come in on a cheap prove it deal. 1yr deal. Cap Charge: $2mil.

1216416789-850x560.jpeg

We go into the draft with $9.12mil in cap.

2021 NFL Draft:

Comp picks: two 4 rounders and a 6 rounder (Just a guess). I am sticking with this until Comp picks are released. 

RD1) TRADE! Jacksonville looking to surround Trevor Lawerence with as much help as possible, trades #33 and their 4th for #29.

RD2A) Tevin Jenkinn: OT, Oklahoma State

9768218.png

Ton of experience, can put him at RT right away (Bakhtiari may not be ready to go right away).

RD2B) Elijah Molden: CB, Washington

molden.jpg

Our new slot CB. Great instincts. Allows Chandon Sullivan to be that dime defender/Safety.

RD3) Demetric Felton: WR/RB, UCLA.

UCLA-FBC-1103-19-1.jpg?w=863

Played both RB and in the slot. Great athlete, would be great fit in our outside zone scheme. 

RD4A) Tariq Thompson: S, San Diego State.

BYU-vs.-SDSU-21-475x398.jpg

We are not bringing back Will Redmon. Thompson is versatile can defend deep or play in the slot. 

RD4B) Hunter Long: TE, Boston College.

AG8I9115.jpg

Highly utilized as both a receiver and blocker. Would fit well in the Lefluer system.

RD4C) Ambry Thomas: CB, Michigan.

63e8ca4d-e810-4632-97a3-1ff59bee4245-GTY

Big and physical. Develops a year behind Patrick Peterson.
RD5) Dez Fitzpatrick: WR, Louisville.

20201211-161714-UofL%20football%20Dez%20

Physical receiver, smooth athlete, with the size to help in the run game.

RD6A) Tedarrel Slayton: NT, Florida State.

tedarrell-slaton-v-tenn-mart-2.jpg?resiz

Another draft crush, just can come in and give Kenny Clark a breather. Eats blocks and can work on his pass rush.

RD6B) Javian Hawkins: RB, Louisville.

_C6R7367.JPG

RB depth, a playmaker. Quick, elusive, and speed. A role player for us.

RD7) Marco Wilson: CB, Florida.

WilsonMarco_180901_9760_TimCasey.jpg

Younger brother of Quincy Wilson. Depth and development, compete with Ambry Thomas.

Let me know.

1. Currently the Packers are still 22 to 24 million over the cap not just over 100 million. 

2. I don't see how the Packers can avoid cutting Preston Smith based on the real current cap numbers. I expect a cut or trade of Preston.

3. Extensions can save cap this next year but I don't see as much kicking the can down the road as you do. In fact. I see cap issues forcing Rodgers out in 2 or 3 years. 

4. How do you sign Jamaal Williams at 1 mil per year. You wrote cap cost 2 million so that is not correct. I don't know what as Williams contract might look like but I could see the Packers resign Jamaall for 3 years 15 mil or so.

5. JJ Watt is not signing with anybody for under 12 to 14 million per year. Don't claim he doesn't need the money because he has his charities. You don't see to understand cap hits yearly and that screws up your cap numbers by a lot. Patrick Petersen cap hit is quite laughable. You really struggle with what these players will cost and not by just a little. 

6. Packers will have 10 draft picks unless a trade revises that number = 1, 2, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 6, 6, 7 is the likely draft slots.