Would Tim Tebow be in the NFL had he changed positions?

biggie.

Still in the NFL?  No.  He'd be a 33-year-old skill position player and I don't think he had the talent to stick around that long.

I do wonder what Tebow's career would've looked like if he'd entered the league today, though, even as a QB.  He had the misfortune of being drafted in 2010 when everyone was looking for Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. 

In today's NFL there's a lot more tolerance for quarterbacks with non-traditional skillsets and willingness to get creative for the right player.  Traditional mechanics are seen as less important as well.  I could see a 2021 version of Tim Tebow getting quite a bit more draft hype than the 2010 version did.  I'm skeptical it would've made a difference in the long run but who knows.  

58 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Still in the NFL?  No.  He'd be a 33-year-old skill position player and I don't think he had the talent to stick around that long.

I do wonder what Tebow's career would've looked like if he'd entered the league today, though, even as a QB.  He had the misfortune of being drafted in 2010 when everyone was looking for Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. 

In today's NFL there's a lot more tolerance for quarterbacks with non-traditional skillsets and willingness to get creative for the right player.  Traditional mechanics are seen as less important as well.  I could see a 2021 version of Tim Tebow getting quite a bit more draft hype than the 2010 version did.  I'm skeptical it would've made a difference in the long run but who knows.  

What do you think about Matt Barkley?

Edited by JAF-N72EX
  • Like 1

On 2/20/2021 at 11:12 PM, SkippyX said:

Taysom Hill is 20 pounds lighter, 3/4 of an inch shorter, and runs a 4.44 instead of Tebow's 4.71

Tebow could have been a RB/FB/TE/Gadget QB, but not a star at it.

If he could be a decent blocker and pass catcher at 245 then he could have been a 12 year 45th man on the roster.

He was a 5.0 per carry(5.4 in Denver) 989 yard and 12 TD ball carrier in the actual NFL.

He did that in the playoffs too (63 yards and a TD in that game)

He was a better everything at the NFL over lots of guys like Brady Quinn.

My thought on this as well. He could have been a Luke Stocker type.

8 hours ago, mission27 said:

This is the better question

I think he still would have been unsuccessful. I know he had a decent record that one year, but I still think he was pretty underwhelming overall. He would probably be in like the 3rd tier of mobile QBs, and one who could have gotten a look in the right situation, but realistically not an improvement for anybody

For me Vince Young is the guy who I think would have benefitted the most from this era and while his TD/INT numbers were atrocious, he was an absolute winner and think could have really improved under the right circumstances

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mission27 said:

i still think he would have washed out. He wasn't accurate enough throwing it. His motion looked like a dude who was right handed trying to throw with his left hand.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Tk3 said:

For me Vince Young is the guy who I think would have benefitted the most from this era and while his TD/INT numbers were atrocious, he was an absolute winner and think could have really improved under the right circumstances

Yep

I mean look at what Josh Allen has done.  Josh Allen 10 years ago would've been a total bust.

3 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Yep

I mean look at what Josh Allen has done.  Josh Allen 10 years ago would've been a total bust.

I'm not going to lie.. I love me some Josh Allen and I hear a lot of Cam Newton/Big Ben comps before he broke out this season.... but I've always felt like VY was a comp for him. If you swap their eras, I bet they are thought of very differently

4 hours ago, rich homie said:

What we saw from Tebow in his NFL career is the absolute best possible one he could have had. You replay his career 10,000 times in different ways and none of it reaches the success that he actually had imo.

There was no other way.

200.gif

23 hours ago, mission27 said:

There's no team that'll tolerate a QB who needs to submit paperwork and wait 6-8 weeks for approval to release the ball. 

• Like 1

On 2/22/2021 at 12:47 AM, Starless said:

Like a lot of "dual threat" QBs, if you took away the threat of the pass, they'd become a lot less effective, and vice-versa. The problem with Tebow is that he wasn't a good passer at all, and as a runner he wasn't particularly fast or elusive. His lone career passing highlight came as a result of **** LeBeau making the baffling decision to call cover-zero and letting him throw a rainbow to DeMaryius Thomas, which was the one thing he was decent at. 

And if you moved him to a position where he didn't have to throw the ball, you'd soon realize just how little speed or elusiveness he had. He wouldn't be an effective RB because of that. There's no indication that he could block or catch, either. Maybe you could teach him one of those skills, but I honestly think his best bet would be as a situational linebacker.

Oh your right, I just always wonder what a Tim Tebow led team would look like if you gave him 3-4 years of development and 100% backing of the system like Jackson has.

Mike McCoy built and committed that entire Denver system around Tebow and he went 8-6 as a starter in Denver. If the Broncos didnt get Peyton Manning and they instead committed to Tebow--I would like to have thought he would develop a little bit more as a passer after another year, 2 years, 3 years in the same system. Go throught sort of what Josh Allen went through where he changed his mechanics and became a lot more accurate.

Not saying it would be probable, but Tebow in a Jackson-like system for multiple years would have been fun as hell to watch.

Side Note: He had 315+ passing yards against that #1 rated Steelers defense in the playoffs lol He lit them up with his arm.

Edited by AkronsWitness

On 2/22/2021 at 2:32 PM, mission27 said:
On 2/22/2021 at 8:56 AM, Tk3 said:

Yep

I disagree with both of you. 

Vince Young's issues were never about his skillset - we've seen the league try to turn guys with VYs ability into franchise QBs (Michael Vick comes to mind). Much like Vick, it wasn't about the physical skills.

VYs issue was his work ethic and his football IQ. He had neither - and it doesn't matter if you have the biggest arm along with 4.4 speed, the NFL will eat you alive if you don't watch film and work on any flaws that might be exploited.