Would Tim Tebow be in the NFL had he changed positions?

biggie.

15 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Oh your right, I just always wonder what a Tim Tebow led team would look like if you gave him 3-4 years of development and 100% backing of the system like Jackson has.

Mike McCoy built and committed that entire Denver system around Tebow and he went 8-6 as a starter in Denver. If the Broncos didnt get Peyton Manning and they instead committed to Tebow--I would like to have thought he would develop a little bit more as a passer after another year, 2 years, 3 years in the same system. Go throught sort of what Josh Allen went through where he changed his mechanics and became a lot more accurate.

Not saying it would be probable, but Tebow in a Jackson-like system for multiple years would have been fun as hell to watch.

Side Note: He had 315+ passing yards against that #1 rated Steelers defense in the playoffs lol He lit them up with his arm.

He only completed 10 passes on 21 attempts in that game. 

When you see numbers like that, it more often points to poor defense - either in scheme or execution. In this case, it was both. 

My gut tells me he would have already retired regardless. 

That said, I think his career would have been longer and more impressive than it was, if he switched positions and got out of his own way.

There's a handful of guys who switched positions from QB (TE seems to be a recent favorite for bigger guys with Logan Thomas and Blake Bell coming to mind). 

Now, I don't think Tebow reaches Thomas levels at TE, nor do I think he would have been as effective as Taysom Hill as a gadget player. As some have pointed out, he wasn't that kind of athlete. 

He would've needed to be with the right coach and right offense to make it work. He probably functions more as a flex/slot TE, Wildcat QB in sub packages, and possibly a short yardage/goal line FB in this scenario. 

It's hard to opine too much, as we've seen guys fall all across the failed experiment- successful transition spectrum when changing positions. But finding some level of mid-long term success isn't unheard of.

Tebow was his own worst enemy in regards to an elongated career, as he couldn't bring himself to not be a QB. He wanted to be a QB or nothing. Did he have skills that could have been used in some way? Yes. Could he have done it physically? Maybe.

But I think the only way he switches positions is out of necessity or being "forced". And that to me is his Achilles heel. I don't think Tim Tebow really LOVED football that much. He "loves" the game, as we do as fans/former players of varying levels, yes. But I don't think he had the fiery passion to play in the NFL at whatever cost.

Guys who switch spots take a lot of time to do so, knowing they'll likely never be the stars they were in College again, and knowing that until they become good enough to overcome their lack of experience that they're practically always on the chopping block in favor of some later round pick or UDFA. Again, Logan Thomas tried at QB for a couple of years with a few teams before switching to TE in 2016. 2020 was his first year with a real degree of success and it took 6 teams across 7 stints and only 1 multi year stop for him to get there. 

Not that Tebow and Thomas are the same, it's just illustrative of the time and dedication it can take to make a position change work. Thomas, it appears, really wanted to play NFL football and loved doing so enough to not be deterred by setbacks. I don't think Tebow loved it that way. He loved playing QB, not NFL football as part of a team. If he could've switched positions and really found a passion for it, I think he could've lasted a while and been marginally successful. But as I said, he'd have to get out of his own way. And I don't think he could have.

This sounds crazy, but Tebow should have left college after his sophomore year and started working with Tom House then if he really wanted to make it in the NFL. Staying at Florida all four years was a waste for him because he reinforced bad mechanics.

Then, in 09, he should have went to Canada and played for a couple years, not coming to the NFL until 2012 or 13. I don't think he was ready when he started for Denver in 2011.

2 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

There's a handful of guys who switched positions from QB (TE seems to be a recent favorite for bigger guys with Logan Thomas and Blake Bell coming to mind). 

Also, remember Tyree Jackson, the big QB who came out of the University of Buffalo a few years ago? He is also switching to TE:

https://www.nbcsports.com/edge/football/nfl/player/51521/tyree-jackson

59 minutes ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

Also, remember Tyree Jackson, the big QB who came out of the University of Buffalo a few years ago? He is also switching to TE:

https://www.nbcsports.com/edge/football/nfl/player/51521/tyree-jackson

Heck yeah I do! I wanted him as a project so bad it still hurts. Dude was an athletic freak of nature. Good for him. Hope he makes it!

I wonder what ever happened to his #1 WR. He caught some draft community love for a while too.

Taysom Hill is a VASTLY better athlete than Tim Tebow. Tebow was overhyped from college production, never took the NFL all that seriously other than as a vehicle for his brand, and never attempted to better himself as a player consistently. When he made the transition to baseball it became apparent that his "aww shucks" media persona is just that, a persona. The dude was doing TV spots every day then getting flown down to play a baseball game, it was a total farce. His vaunted oft cited "intangibles" were all an act or vastly overstated lol, being really into Jesus and going "yes sir" all the time doesn't make one a leader or particularly gifted in speaking to others.

Tebow had stiff hips and churned his feet, he wasn't a particularly gifted runner beyond solid straight line speed for his position and a frame that allowed him to take a hit. And as bad as Taysom Hill is passing the football, his mechanics are fine and his arm is better than Tebow's, Tebow could not pass the football at an NFL level, not even as a backup, too risky and not enough upside to make up the difference. 

Even if he entered the league today, just nothing there, as  a QB his mechanics were unsalvageable and as an athlete he just didn't have enough lateral agility and mobility to really be a threat at another position of need, there's dozens of TE's with his straight line and build metrics, he'd just be a name.

• Like 2

On 2/23/2021 at 1:05 AM, Starless said:

There's no team that'll tolerate a QB who needs to submit paperwork and wait 6-8 weeks for approval to release the ball. 

Mans made Byron Leftwich look like Marino. It was unplayable, and teams keyed into him at the end of his "run" and he showed it was unplayable. But the Steelers and **** made some absolutely baffling defensive decisions to play him that day so now we hear about this dude and his "legend" incessantly rather than treating him like the marginal QB on his best day that he was.

Edit:

This right here, why are you rushing 4 and playing a soft zone? What kind of idiot gameplan against a dude who gets happy feet is this lol. And even then he almost falls over, twice, and has to lollipop a throw with what has to be the ugliest half step a QB has had in years. 

What an awful gameplan lol, not surprising that the Patriots ate his *** alive the next week.

Edited by Thelonebillsfan

On 2/23/2021 at 9:11 AM, AkronsWitness said:

Oh your right, I just always wonder what a Tim Tebow led team would look like if you gave him 3-4 years of development and 100% backing of the system like Jackson has.

Mike McCoy built and committed that entire Denver system around Tebow and he went 8-6 as a starter in Denver. If the Broncos didnt get Peyton Manning and they instead committed to Tebow--I would like to have thought he would develop a little bit more as a passer after another year, 2 years, 3 years in the same system. Go throught sort of what Josh Allen went through where he changed his mechanics and became a lot more accurate.

Not saying it would be probable, but Tebow in a Jackson-like system for multiple years would have been fun as hell to watch.

Side Note: He had 315+ passing yards against that #1 rated Steelers defense in the playoffs lol He lit them up with his arm.

Allen's issues are footwork related, issues relating to when and where to plant and drive, registering spacing on deep passes, followthrough on intermediate throws etc etc. Tebow's issues were that in order to get spin on the ball he had to wind himself up like an outfielder (ironically when he became an outfielder his worst attribute was his arm) just to get spin and zip on the ball. He did make a seemingly significant change to his mechanics in the off-season of his 1st-2nd year, you can find videos of it where he's holding high and tight rather than at his hip. The issue is the minute he got into a game pressure or even particularly intense practices, he couldn't get enough zip on the ball going high and tight, so he reverted to his windup out of instinct and AFAIK never seriously worked on his mechanics again after that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Taysom Hill is a VASTLY better athlete than Tim Tebow. Tebow was overhyped from college production, never took the NFL all that seriously other than as a vehicle for his brand, and never attempted to better himself as a player consistently. When he made the transition to baseball it became apparent that his "aww shucks" media persona is just that, a persona. The dude was doing TV spots every day then getting flown down to play a baseball game, it was a total farce. His vaunted oft cited "intangibles" were all an act or vastly overstated lol, being really into Jesus and going "yes sir" all the time doesn't make one a leader or particularly gifted in speaking to others.

Tebow had stiff hips and churned his feet, he wasn't a particularly gifted runner beyond solid straight line speed for his position and a frame that allowed him to take a hit. And as bad as Taysom Hill is passing the football, his mechanics are fine and his arm is better than Tebow's, Tebow could not pass the football at an NFL level, not even as a backup, too risky and not enough upside to make up the difference. 

Even if he entered the league today, just nothing there, as  a QB his mechanics were unsalvageable and as an athlete he just didn't have enough lateral agility and mobility to really be a threat at another position of need, there's dozens of TE's with his straight line and build metrics, he'd just be a name.

I agree with all of this. Tebow ran the same 40 times as Trubisky and Aaron Rodgers and lacked shiftiness. Even with a position change he lacked the growth mindset to learn it and would have never put in the work to last 10 years. Being a career gadget player/special teamer may not seem like a tall task but you still have to work extremely hard to maintain an NFL roster spot.

Tebow wouldn’t have humbled himself or worked hard enough to carve out an NFL career in any position. Instead of working on his craft he knew he had a meal ticket on American TV for being noteworthy and Uber religious and cashed in on that. Probably smarter for his career earnings but it doesn’t scream to me “ten year NfL career”. A career that long takes hard work no matter how talented you are (and as the dagger Tebow wasn’t anything special as an NFL athlete) , and Timmy T didn’t have that drive to better his game at QB let alone learning another position.

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy