Nostalgia Thoughts: Your favorite safety duo ever?

TecmoSuperJoe

3 hours ago, BofaDeez54927 said:

Atwater and Smith

In the 6 years of 1989-1994 they made the pro bowl 4 and 5 times and Atwater was first team all-pro twice

They did not win the Super Bowls together (only played together in 1989) (Smith starred on the first 2 losing teams and Atwater starred on the 2 winners)

I think you can find a better duo for a 1 year period or a better single safety but those 2 for those 6 years might be the best. (or top 2)

Anderson and Scott from 1970-1974 looks damn impressive (and probably better), but I never watched them play.

On 2/21/2021 at 4:47 PM, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

Ed Reed/ Dawan Landry 

One is HOF if not GOAT, the other is mostly talk hardly any walk.

On 2/21/2021 at 6:23 PM, djw4bucs said:

It was very short but i loved watching Donte Whitner and Dashon Goldson for the 49ers

As a duo this is a really good call imo.

On 2/21/2021 at 3:16 AM, TecmoSuperJoe said:

. Also, for the Packers I think of Leroy Butler/Darren Sharper. 

I wanted to say Butler/Sharper, but Sharper has a bit of an "ick" factor these days; still, it was a great pairing - Butler was the all-around Swiss army knife who could do anything - cover, play the run, play deep, whereas Sharper was competent in all phases but excelled at the prototypical "deep center field" ballhawk role. Butler and Eugene Robinson prior to that were similarly effective (and led GB to 2 SBs!) 

Nick Collins is one of the finest safeties I've ever seen play, but he never really had a running mate, unless you want to count Charles Woodson but Woodson played a fairly unique role in that defense - it was something of a "10 players executing the scheme and Woodson going where he's needed"