Current Quarterback Tier

Championshiporbust

Based on last year's performance, CompADoT (i.e. completion rate ranking plus Average Depth of Target ranking) seems a remarkably accurate metric.  The #1 QB is clear, especially if we factor in supporting casts, but there is significant movement after that.  Josh Allen, Kirk Cousins, and Derek Carr surprised their critics.

Tier 1

4. Deshaun Watson

Tier 2

12. Josh Allen
13. Russell Wilson
17. Rams (i.e. Matt Stafford in 2021)

Tier 3

20. Aaron Rodgers
20. Patrick Mahomes
22. Kirk Cousins

Tier 4

23. Ben Roethlisberger
24. Derek Carr
26. Tom Brady
26. Kyler Murray
28. Matt Ryan

On 3/6/2021 at 4:06 PM, TENINCH said:

He's top 10. I'd take him over Mayfield, Tannehill, Ryan, Tannehill, and Stafford. 

13b16b8709bc5cfed8858a68c9a0b9eb.gif

Cousins is a 4200-30-10 guy since he has been a full starter.  Of those listed, he has the highest TD% and he and Stafford are tied for the second lowest INT%.  This is not a laughable take.  I don't think he is an annual MVP candidate type of good, but he is really, really good, especially since joining the Vikings.  

I am interested to see what Stafford does on a non-Lions team.  I am also interested to see how well Tannehill continues to play for the Titans.  He really is a different player in Tennessee than he was in Miami.  A lot of his career numbers are pretty poor, but since becoming the Titans' starter, they are a lot better, but that is a pretty small sample size.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

13b16b8709bc5cfed8858a68c9a0b9eb.gif

Cousins is a 4200-30-10 guy since he has been a full starter.  Of those listed, he has the highest TD% and he and Stafford are tied for the second lowest INT%.  This is not a laughable take.  I don't think he is an annual MVP candidate type of good, but he is really, really good, especially since joining the Vikings.  

I am interested to see what Stafford does on a non-Lions team.  I am also interested to see how well Tannehill continues to play for the Titans.  He really is a different player in Tennessee than he was in Miami.  A lot of his career numbers are pretty poor, but since becoming the Titans' starter, they are a lot better, but that is a pretty small sample size.

Cousins since 2018 also has 63 red zone tds and 1 interception. 

21 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Cousins since 2018 also has 63 red zone tds and 1 interception. 

Do you think part of the problem with Cousins' perception is that he is always like the 7th best QB, even though in a given year 4 of the 6 ahead of him might be different?  So we get Mahomes passing him, and Watson passing him, but Kirk is still about 4200, 30, 10 every year, and while 2 new QBs may be better, most likely a couple have fallen off too?   Like Jared Goff was slightly better in 2018.  Where was he in 2020? 3900, 20, 13.  Where was Kirk? 4200, 35, 13.  

On 3/12/2021 at 5:47 PM, ThatJerkDave said:

Do you think part of the problem with Cousins' perception is that he is always like the 7th best QB, even though in a given year 4 of the 6 ahead of him might be different?  So we get Mahomes passing him, and Watson passing him, but Kirk is still about 4200, 30, 10 every year, and while 2 new QBs may be better, most likely a couple have fallen off too?   Like Jared Goff was slightly better in 2018.  Where was he in 2020? 3900, 20, 13.  Where was Kirk? 4200, 35, 13.  

I think Cousins perception has completely to do with lack of playoff performances and no real stand out performances when he actually makes the playoffs. Not all his fault for sure but its the way it is.