Washington's available paths to a quarterback

Woz

On 2/22/2021 at 12:34 AM, Woz said:

Okay, I'm breaking this up into two parts because it was getting long already and I know the collective patience of the forum can be short (1)

Continuing on then, we have

OPTION 3: Go sign 'em!
What makes this offseason weirder is that there are fair number of QBs available in free agency, and not the normal detritus either.

• QBs with 50+ starts, older than 30
    • Andy Dalton (34 years old, 142 starts, 62.2% career completion rate, 4.6% career TD rate, 2.6% career INT rate, 87.5 career QB rating)
    • Joe Flacco (36 years old, 175 starts, 61.7% career completion rate, 3.7% career TD rate, 2.4% career INT rate, 84.1 career QB rating)
    • Ryan Fitzpatrick (39 years old, 146 starts, 60.7% career completion rate, 4.4% career TD rate, 3.3% career INT rate, 82.3 career QB rating)
    • Cam Newton (32 years old, 139 starts, 60.1% career completion rate, 4.4% career TD rate, 2.7% career INT rate, 85.8 career QB rating)
    •  
  • QBs with 50+ starts, 30 or younger
    • Blake Bortles (29 years old, 73 starts, 59.3% career completion rate, 3.9% career TD rate, 2.8% career INT rate, 80.6 career QB rating)
    • Dak Prescott (28 years old, 69 starts, 66.0% career completion rate, 4.6% career TD rate, 1.7% career INT rate, 97.3 career QB rating)
    • Mitchell Trubisky (27 years old, 50 starts, 64.0% career completion rate, 4.1% career TD rate, 2.3% career INT rate, 87.2 career QB rating)
    • Jameis Winston (27 years old, 70 starts, 61.4% career completion rate, 4.7% career TD rate, 3.4% career INT rate, 86.9 career QB rating)

Still, Washington could decide to bargain bin shop a little for a veteran, giving Allen and Heinicke the early lead as the starter in 2021. Options there are:

• 16+ starts
    • Jacoby Brissett (29 y.o, 32 starts, 59.6% career completion rate, 3.2% career TD rate, 1.3% career INT rate, 84.1 career passer rating)
    • Blaine Gabbert (32 y.o., 48 starts, 56.2% career completion rate, 3.3% career TD rate, 3.1% career INT rate, 72.3 career passer rating)
    • Mike Glennon (32 y.o., 27 starts, 61.1% career completion rate, 4.4% career TD rate, 2.6% career INT rate, 83.5 career passer rating)
    • Robert Griffin III (31 y.o., 42 starts, 63.0% career completion rate, 3.4% career TD rate, 2.4% career INT rate, 86.5 career passer rating)
    • Brian Hoyer (36 y.o., 39 starts, 59.2% career completion rate, 3.5% career TD rate, 2.3% career INT rate, 82.1 career passer rating)
    • Colt McCoy (35 y.o, 30 starts, 60.7% career completion rate, 3.0% career TD rate, 2.8% career INT rate, 78.1 career passer rating)
    • Geno Smith (31 y.o, 31 starts, 57.8% career completion rate, 3.2% career TD rate, 4.0% career INT rate, 72.9 career passer rating)
    • Tyrod Taylor (32 y.o., 47 starts, 61.4% career completion rate, 3.9% career TD rate, 1.4% career INT rate, 89.5 career passer rating)

Of this list, I think the underlined are the more viable options: Taylor, Trubisky, Fitzmagic, Newton

On 2/22/2021 at 12:34 AM, Woz said:

OPTION 4: Draft 'em!

Lance or Jones most likely with the outside chance at having the ammo for Fields. 

• Like 1

Anyone heard anything on Monds draft stock? From what I have seen it seems like he’s a 3rd rounder but could anyone see his stock rising? Especially if 5 QBs go round 1?

is it possible he could go in the 2nd? I’m big on him as I’ve said before. He’s a true dual threat and the fact that he played all 4 years in college means a lot, he’s got experience and he got better every year. 

I truly think getting him in the draft to compete with Heinicke and Allen will only bring out the best in all the QBs, I think he could be another version of Dak but cheaper and a little more mobile.

i know this probably isn’t a popular belief but I would consider using our 2nd on him to be honest depending what happens in the first.

Edited by LoganF89
  • Like 2

On 3/3/2021 at 12:18 PM, LoganF89 said:

Anyone heard anything on Monds draft stock? From what I have seen it seems like he’s a 3rd rounder but could anyone see his stock rising? Especially if 5 QBs go round 1?

is it possible he could go in the 2nd? I’m big on him as I’ve said before. He’s a true dual threat and the fact that he played all 4 years in college means a lot, he’s got experience and he got better every year. 

I truly think getting him in the draft to compete with Heinicke and Allen will only bring out the best in all the QBs, I think he could be another version of Dak but cheaper and a little more mobile.

i know this probably isn’t a popular belief but I would consider using our 2nd on him to be honest depending what happens in the first.

I’d still rather trade up for one of the top QBs but if we don’t, I don’t have a problem with taking Mond in the 2nd. I like the Dak comp, I hadn’t thought about that before. He needs some development as a passer as Dak did coming out but being a big strong dual treat with a strong arm helps him. I’ve also thought Mond plays a lot like Kap too. That could be me just looking at each guys physique though as I think they’re built a lot alike.

Edited by turtle28

25 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I’d still rather trade up for one of the top QBs but if we don’t, I don’t have a problem with taking Mond in the 2nd. I like the Dak comp, I hadn’t thought about that before. He needs some development as a passer as Dak did coming our but being a big strong dual treat with a strong arm helps him. I’ve also through the plays a lot like Kap. That could be my just looking at each guys physique though as I think they’re built a lot alike.

I agree 100% with the comparisons, I just think it’s super valuable for a prospect that has played his whole college career and improved in every year. 

I think him and lance are the two guys I’m most intrigued with as far as potential goes that we have a shot of gettinf

Edited by LoganF89
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

I agree 100% with the comparisons, I just think it’s super valuable for a prospect that has played his whole college career and improved in every year. 

I think him and lance are the two guys I’m most intrigued with as far as potential goes that we have a shot of getting.

I’m more comfortable w/ Mond than Lance. Talk about a guy who has little college experience, that’d be Trey Lance. I have no doubt the guy has talent & potential but just not enough proven for me. Really, every QB in this draft has proven more on the field than Trey Lance. It’s very worrisome to me when a QB is that much of a question mark.

• Like 1

Theismann agrees with me. Which is that we should draft a QB, but not in the 1st round. I really hope that's how it unfolds.

Granted, I want us to trade for Rodgers & our 1st & more be included in such a trade.

But if we go into the draft with intensions of drafting a QB?

I hope it's in the 2nd Rd or later.

What if LB M. Parsons is sitting there at 19…?

Or WR J. Waddle?

Both huge needs & possible top 10 picks.

With Heinicke & Allen already here? The smarter play is to look later for a QB. Even more so, if we sign a veteran.

Just my take.

10 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Theismann agrees with me. Which is that we should draft a QB, but not in the 1st round. I really hope that's how it unfolds.

Granted, I want us to trade for Rodgers & our 1st & more be included in such a trade.

But if we go into the draft with intensions of drafting a QB?

I hope it's in the 2nd Rd or later.

What if LB M. Parsons is sitting there at 19…?

Or WR J. Waddle?

Both huge needs & possible top 10 picks.

With Heinicke & Allen already here? The smarter play is to look later for a QB. Even more so, if we sign a veteran.

Just my take.

That’s why you take Mond in 2nd or 3rd

• Like 1

Honest Question.

What is it about Mond that people like? Having watched only a small glimpse of his career in college, I haven't seen anything that says he is starting caliber. Certainly not a day 1 pick and possibly not even a day 2 pick. 

On 3/3/2021 at 12:18 PM, LoganF89 said:

Trust me bud were clearly seeing the same thing on tape especially if you go back and see his early flashes with not that talented rosters and worse coaching he had moments. I think this guys needle is pointing up. Luckily for him I believe this guy goes to a talented team that maybe just doesn’t have a settled like the franchise type guys and wins them out or gets play time and just shines.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Honest Question.

What is it about Mond that people like? Having watched only a small glimpse of his career in college, I haven't seen anything that says he is starting caliber. Certainly not a day 1 pick and possibly not even a day 2 pick. 

Watch some of his flashes against Clemson in 2018. No playmakers around him but look at him throw on the run. If you watch him this year with no top flight talent and not much time in the pocket he draws screen defenders a extra second to open up the run lane from behind for a better chance to read the blocking down the field on screens. He needs to work on touch but this year he improved there. Can and does regularly throwing through super tight windows because his pass catchers can’t separate.

He’s just got what it takes between the helmet he’s the smartest QB in this class and it shows over the 4 years there. It really showed in the senior bowl. Nobody even talked about him all week they talked about every other guy who look good in shorts but are scared in the pocket. Mond has had constant pressure and throws the best on the run in this class and he reads plays quickly and gets the ball out but isn’t affraid to stay in and moves to throw. In fact sometimes when you watch you want him to bail but he really trusts his arm and for good reason. Play action he sells the handoff like a pro almost as good as Trevor Lawrence does. He’s a solid sized guy but he plays with good feet and balance isn’t ever falling weird or hit in bad positions like RG and some guys just can’t keep their limbs tight and they get hurt falling weirdly. 

Mond is just behind Wilson in arm strength and he anticipates and places his ball in way tighter windows and places it better then Wilson. Logan IMO is spot on. I actually have a lot of the same comments I had on Russ and Dak throughout their careers in college and Mond IMO is a much more skilled passer coming out then both of those guys. But has that same mental attack but plays smart won’t put you in a bad spot balance. They will make that one play you need to make but is patient enough not to cost you. I’ve watched and have notes on him from his first game and he’s a completely different person and it’s only growing quicker now.

7 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Honest Question.

2 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

Watch some of his flashes against Clemson in 2018. No playmakers around him but look at him throw on the run. If you watch him this year with no top flight talent and not much time in the pocket he draws screen defenders a extra second to open up the run lane from behind for a better chance to read the blocking down the field on screens. He needs to work on touch but this year he improved there. Can and does regularly throwing through super tight windows because his pass catchers can’t separate.

He’s just got what it takes between the helmet he’s the smartest QB in this class and it shows over the 4 years there. It really showed in the senior bowl. Nobody even talked about him all week they talked about every other guy who look good in shorts but are scared in the pocket. Mond has had constant pressure and throws the best on the run in this class and he reads plays quickly and gets the ball out but isn’t affraid to stay in and moves to throw. In fact sometimes when you watch you want him to bail but he really trusts his arm and for good reason. Play action he sells the handoff like a pro almost as good as Trevor Lawrence does. He’s a solid sized guy but he plays with good feet and balance isn’t ever falling weird or hit in bad positions like RG and some guys just can’t keep their limbs tight and they get hurt falling weirdly. 

Mond is just behind Wilson in arm strength and he anticipates and places his ball in way tighter windows and places it better then Wilson. Logan IMO is spot on. I actually have a lot of the same comments I had on Russ and Dak throughout their careers in college and Mond IMO is a much more skilled passer coming out then both of those guys. But has that same mental attack but plays smart won’t put you in a bad spot balance. They will make that one play you need to make but is patient enough not to cost you. I’ve watched and have notes on him from his first game and he’s a completely different person and it’s only growing quicker now.

and to add on to what @ripsean21 is saying, Kellen showed improvement in all 4 years, and while he can tuck it and run he goes through all of his progressions a lot before he takes off, hes pass first

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

5 hours ago, LoganF89 said:

and to add on to what @ripsean21 is saying, Kellen showed improvement in all 4 years, and while he can tuck it and run he goes through all of his progressions a lot before he takes off, hes pass first

I don't know. I get a crazy Jason Campbell vibe from him. For any of those that remember him at Auburn, he was a pass first mobile QB. Its what made us draft him so high, but we know how that went.

I've said it before, I wouldn't touch any of these QBs other than Lawrence. We already know he goes #1 so that's a no go.

Honestly I hope we stay away from a QB in the draft. We already have two younger guys (Heinicke and Montez) and one that could end up being resigned in Kyle Allen. We need a veteran like Ryan Fitzpatrick to help guide the young guys and also push the QB room to compete.

2 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

I don't know. I get a crazy Jason Campbell vibe from him. For any of those that remember him at Auburn, he was a pass first mobile QB. Its what made us draft him so high, but we know how that went.

I've said it before, I wouldn't touch any of these QBs other than Lawrence. We already know he goes #1 so that's a no go.

Honestly I hope we stay away from a QB in the draft. We already have two younger guys (Heinicke and Montez) and one that could end up being resigned in Kyle Allen. We need a veteran like Ryan Fitzpatrick to help guide the young guys and also push the QB room to compete.

Montez will never be anything more than a clipboard holder. I dont even think he will be a number 2. 

Campbell could of been a good pro if we would of surrounded him with better weapons, I mean Santana Moss is the only good WR he ever had and he wasnt a number 1 guy. He had decent TEs in Cooley and Davis but always played with a washed up Oline that was either past their prime or injured a lot.

I see a Dak Prescott when I look at Mond, everything from his build to how he makes his reads, but the best thing about Mond right now is that hes not a 1st rounder. He can possibly be had in the 3rd round so if he comes in and doesnt earn a starting spot by year 4 then all you had in him was a 3rd round pick. 

Edited by LoganF89
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, LoganF89 said:

I see a Dak Prescott when I look at Mond, everything from his build to how he makes his reads, but the best thing about Mond right now is that hes not a 1st rounder. He can possibly be had in the 3rd round so if he comes in and doesnt earn a starting spot by year 4 then all you had in him was a 3rd round pick. 

I like Mond as a prospect, but I think you need to be a little more objective here. Dak weighs more than 30 pounds than Mond. That's a huge difference and a huge question mark on how I think Mond will hold up in the NFL.

6 minutes ago, taylor made said:

I like Mond as a prospect, but I think you need to be a little more objective here. Dak weighs more than 30 pounds than Mond. That's a huge difference and a huge question mark on how I think Mond will hold up in the NFL.

Dak was 6’2” 226 when drafted. Mond is 6’3” 217 so 9 pound difference, Dak of course now is in the 230s but you would have to think in the pros Mond would be gaining weight as well so as far as when the came out the difference was an inch difference and 9 pounds so I wouldn’t say that’s too much difference 

daks TD/INT 70/23 Rush yds/TD 2521/41

Mond TD/INt 71/27 Rush yds/TD 1609/22

their stays are pretty comparable outside the fact that Dak was better on the ground but in the pros a good passing QB won’t put those rushing and rushing TD totals up 

I’m not saying he’s better than Dak coming out but he just reminds me of him some

Both played a lot of ball but Mond played more as a freshman. Like I said they just compare to me that’s all

• Like 1