Washington's available paths to a quarterback

Woz

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Fitz wouldn’t even an option if IW as Rivera, he does nothing for us. He has no chance of being an answer so I see no need to him. We don’t need Fitz to mentor Allen or Heinicke, we should draft someone or sign another young QB.

I get that we can’t get a high quality QB this year w/o trading for them - which is unlikely - which is why it makes all the more sense to go with our two cheap QBs to see what they can do & also draft a QB to compete with them and to develop.

We need youth, not a guy who’s nearly my age playing At QB. We should be developing & looking towards the future w/ young guys. We just let Alex go in part bc of his age & we want to go with younger guys with potential. We should continue that trend, not sign a 38 year QB going on 39 years old to be placeholder just to pick in the high teens again and then not pick high enough in the 2022 draft to take one of the top QBs.

I get the lure of Fitzpatrick but he’s just not right for this team and our future.

First, let's be glad you are part of the front office. 

Second, let's look at the Alex Smith effect of last year. Not only on the field but in the locker room. As someone that watched you toot the Alex Smith Train horn, really interesting take by you.

Lastly, you clearly don't understand how to build a QB room. Let's say you draft a rookie, who is the voice of the QB room? I'll wait...

Exactly. You need a veteran voice in the room with experience and knowledge. 

I would be far more upset if we went into the season with Allen, Heinicke and a rookie over Allen, Heinicke and an experienced vet (like Fitzmagic).

Again just my opinion. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

First, let's be glad you are part of the front office. 

Second, let's look at the Alex Smith effect of last year. Not only on the field but in the locker room. As someone that watched you toot the Alex Smith Train horn, really interesting take by you.

Lastly, you clearly don't understand how to build a QB room. Let's say you draft a rookie, who is the voice of the QB room? I'll wait...

Exactly. You need a veteran voice in the room with experience and knowledge. 

I would be far more upset if we went into the season with Allen, Heinicke and a rookie over Allen, Heinicke and an experienced vet (like Fitzmagic).

Again just my opinion. 

I wish I was part of the front office! If I was the team would be in better shape, as I think most of us could do a better job than what’s been done.

I understand the value Fitz can have, I also understand that if he’s starting he’s stopping progress for the team bc they’re not going to win playoff games with him and he keeps us mediocre like Alex did which means we won’t have a top 10 QB to get an elite talent to develop for the future.

I also know that Allen knows this offense very well going into his 4th season in it. I can’t say if he is or isn’t a good vet to be helping a rookie along in the offense. I know Fitz would have value in a QB room, but I just don’t know why we have to bring is a 38-year old for that.

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I also understand that if he’s starting he’s stopping progress for the team bc they’re not going to win playoff games with him and he keeps us mediocre like Alex did which means we won’t have a top 10 QB to get an elite talent to develop for the future.

What you should know if he is starting is that the other QBs on the roster are not the future. I think we would be fortunate if both Allen and Heinicke bomb that we have a back-up like Fitzmagic. I know that people would prefer we "embrace the tank" in the scenario that both you guys suck, but we went to the playoffs with a one legged Alex Smith this year. I think we would at least be competitive on offense with Fitzy.

8 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

What you should know if he is starting is that the other QBs on the roster are not the future. I think we would be fortunate if both Allen and Heinicke bomb that we have a back-up like Fitzmagic. I know that people would prefer we "embrace the tank" in the scenario that both you guys suck, but we went to the playoffs with a one legged Alex Smith this year. I think we would at least be competitive on offense with Fitzy.

I don’t think we know the answer to any of that and if you do, you should put $ down in Vegas right now on those bets!

Of Crouse we’re going to be competitive w/ Fitz but picking in the high teens again shouldn’t be our goal. 

On 3/1/2021 at 5:30 PM, Thaiphoon said:

A) My brain hurts reading this (i)

tenor.gif

B) It's FCS not 1-AA (ii)

giphy.gif

C) See my footnotes (iii)

giphy.gif

(i) j/k. Good writeup. When I have time, I'll go back through it again and absorb the knowledge you're breaking down

tenor.gif

(ii) if it's FBS, then it's FCS. Since we actually have a real championship that is recognized by the NCAA

giphy.gif

(iii) just breaking your marbles. Seriously, thank you for this post! Like I said, I'll go more into this post later this week when I have time.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

On 3/2/2021 at 8:04 PM, turtle28 said:

Trade up, draft Fields. Re-sign Kyle Allen to compete w/ Fields and Heinicke to be the starter this year. It’s probably best for Fields - same with Wilson or Lance - to sit for a year but I can’t dismiss out of hand that Fields wouldn’t show enough in the offseason to beat both Allen & Heinicke out to be our week 1 starter or at worst eventually be our starter during the season.

So, on the trade up front, one thing that I have seen some mockers (including DraftTek, which confused the foo out of me) was having Washington trade up with teams like Carolina or the NY GIants to be able to get a QB. That makes zero sense to me since Carolina needs a QB something awful and there is next to no way the Giants or Dallas assist Washington into possibly getting their QB for a decade.

This leaves the number of possible trading partners as follows:

• Way high up, would they be willing to drop down to 19?
    • #3 - Miami
    • #4 - Atlanta
    • #5 - Cincinnati
  • Could take a QB themselves, but maybe not
    • #7 - Detroit
    • #9 - Denver
    • #12 - San Francisco
  • More willing to trade out, but is there any QB of value there? Plus even with Newton re-signing, probably need to get ahead of New England
    • #13 - LA Chargers
    • #14 - Minnesota

Atlanta and San Francisco are dubious on passing a QB, but it is possible.

On 3/3/2021 at 12:52 AM, Slappy Mc said:

TL:DR...(not really, but kinda)

Fitzmagic as a FA (unless Dak is allowed to test FA) followed by Tyrod Taylor
Matt Ryan is my preferred trade target (although highly unlikely)

I envision Taylor and Kyle battling it out for the #1 in camp and a 5th round rookie holding jockstraps.

That's probably my scenario, but I think Mariota is more likely than either Fitz or T. Taylor.

On 2/22/2021 at 5:08 PM, lavar703 said:

In conclusion, we’re signing Cam Newton. 

So much for that prediction.

Had he actually hit the market, I would absolutely have signed Newton at 1y/$5M

• Like 1